Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 68

Thread: League Leaders Shield

  1. #26
    Learning All The Songs barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashton in Makerfield
    Posts
    1,067
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    This. Gimmicky Australian shite that has nothing to do with our game. 14 team SL playing each other once home and away. No stupid magic weekend. All teams start the cup from the first round proper. If they want to keep the charity shirts for 1 weeks then fair enough.
    And put the CC final back to the last game of the season.

    In reality it isn't going to happen but its the only way you will get the credibility back for both.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  2. #27
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    And put the CC final back to the last game of the season.

    In reality it isn't going to happen but its the only way you will get the credibility back for both.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Yes, I meant to add that. It won't happen while Sky are involved that's for certain and we're a long way off that.

  3. #28
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,480
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    This. Gimmicky Australian shite that has nothing to do with our game. 14 team SL playing each other once home and away. No stupid magic weekend. All teams start the cup from the first round proper. If they want to keep the charity shirts for 1 weeks then fair enough.
    Imagine of Man City had been told last year they had to go into a 5 team play off to see who are champions.

  4. #29
    Learning All The Songs Jackbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,085
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    One in the bag Justin, crack on lad with the rest.
    COYS

  5. #30
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Imagine of Man City had been told last year they had to go into a 5 team play off to see who are champions.
    I'd rather not as that's probably the only way the other lot over the park will win the premier league.

  6. #31
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,308
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'd rather not as that's probably the only way the other lot over the park will win the premier league.
    We got a decent consolation, though.

    (Oh, and knowing you're a bitter blue helps me understand why you're so angry)
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  7. #32
    RedVee Admin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LP SW Corner
    Posts
    9,742
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Gimmicky Australian shite that has nothing to do with our game. 14 team SL playing each other once home and away.
    Think we had a Championship Final before the Australians, could be wrong tho.

    Either way, the Grand Final (Championship Final) isn't an "only during Super League era" thing in our sport.


  8. #33
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Think we had a Championship Final before the Australians, could be wrong tho.

    Either way, the Grand Final (Championship Final) isn't an "only during Super League era" thing in our sport.
    Yeah, that's true although I'm not sure on the format. However it's dressed up though I don't like it.

  9. #34
    Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,570
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Spot on mate. Should also get you directly to the GF, you've earned it. Why should you have to play teams who've only managed half the points you have during the season? Time to take finishing top of the pile seriously.
    I'd be happy with a cup and name change, but would not want automatic final spot.

    We'd be so out of shape waiting 3 or 4 weeks for the other finalists.

    I think the top 5 is the best formula. Gives top a real advantage. I just wish people would not think to value the gf they have to devalue everything else as that devalues our sport.

  10. #35
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maghull
    Posts
    1,064
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    There's lots of competitions decided by playoffs and a final after a qualifying league, the IPL, the Cricket World Cup and the RU Premiership, to name just three

  11. #36
    In The South Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,920
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Very happy for the club to get the cash prize for the league leaders shield, sure it will go to good use. As for the trophy, it means nothing. The grand final is how a season is measured like it or not.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  12. #37
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    1996, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018,2019

    Congrats to our club on its ninth League leaders shield.

  13. #38
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Can we not call it a hubcap.

    The league generates more cash for the club than any one off final.

    Long term being a table topping team is hugely beneficial.

    Its a trophy and we should be glad we are winning more than others.
    Completely agree, it's something to be proud off. We should talk it up and celebrate it, three trophys to go for and we've won one

  14. #39
    Got A Season Ticket BigKevIro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Completely agree, it's something to be proud off. We should talk it up and celebrate it, three trophys to go for and we've won one
    Call it for what it is and proves! A true valuation of effort over a tough season, Well done lads and be proud of that fact you're the best in the league by a good margin.

    Oh by the way there's a nice lump of cash that goes with it. 100k I think.

    Finally all the rest of the league would love to win it but you wont let them. LOLOLOL

  15. #40
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Agreed with some posts above
    The league champions should get a more appropriate Cup/ Trophy for the efforts made throughout the season.

    A direct pass to the Final as the reward !

    It Is sad that we have become indoctrinated by sky/ RFL that winning the league is merely a part in the bigger picture and not something to celebrate .
    We have been League champions 2 years in a row. Well done to Holbrook and the team/ club .

  16. #41
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Think we had a Championship Final before the Australians, could be wrong tho.

    Either way, the Grand Final (Championship Final) isn't an "only during Super League era" thing in our sport.
    I’ve read that in the early days some sort of competition was used to decide between the teams because during the ordinary season they tended to play their near neighbours because of the difficulty in travelling, say, from St Helens to Hull or even South Wales.

    Now that all the teams play each other regularly, the original reason for playoffs has gone. In that respect we have copied the Aussies in producing a money spinning knock out competition with a second (in addition to the Challenge Cup) big final.

  17. #42
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,480
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedVee Admin View Post
    Think we had a Championship Final before the Australians, could be wrong tho.

    Either way, the Grand Final (Championship Final) isn't an "only during Super League era" thing in our sport.
    I'm sure we did. I think the league leaders were "Champions" and the equivalent of the GF were called "Premiership Winners".

  18. #43
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,480
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’ve read that in the early days some sort of competition was used to decide between the teams because during the ordinary season they tended to play their near neighbours because of the difficulty in travelling, say, from St Helens to Hull or even South Wales.

    Now that all the teams play each other regularly, the original reason for playoffs has gone. In that respect we have copied the Aussies in producing a money spinning knock out competition with a second (in addition to the Challenge Cup) big final.
    I remember a format where I think we played Lancashire and Cumberland sides twice per season and Yorkshire teams once, with Huddersfield playing as a Lancashire team. From memory when that finished Hudds had never won it. Others may remember it better than me, but for a season or two I think we had something called an East and West divisions, that ran parallel to the main competition, no separate games just a league table taken from the main comp.

  19. #44
    Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,570
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I seem to recall that it was one league at one point, so every team played each other once. Then in the second half of the season the top half played each other again and the bottom half did.

    So a playoff was needed as lower teams could boost their position artificially.

  20. #45
    Learning All The Songs barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashton in Makerfield
    Posts
    1,067
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    1996, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018,2019

    Congrats to our club on its ninth League leaders shield.
    96 wasn't a league leaders shield, we won the League.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  21. #46
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    If you ever needed an indication of the esteem this trophy is held in, the Sky coverage of today's game should do the trick. Not a single mention of the fact that one of the season's three trophies was at stake.
    Fully agree, this is a strange ending to a season, not sure I've ever seen a team win a league in any sport and not warrant a mention. For me, Sky's coverage recently has been appalling, it seems like they abandoned the race for the LLS a while ago. Instead we've been treated to the battle against relegation but all this does is showcase a succession of poor teams showing why they are where they are. The Wigan V Hull match on Thursday was pretty good, other than that.... rubbish. I would suggest that in order to promote the game, perhaps don't concentrate on clubs that struggle to play it to a reasonable standard.

  22. #47
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,339
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J116 View Post
    Fully agree, this is a strange ending to a season, not sure I've ever seen a team win a league in any sport and not warrant a mention. For me, Sky's coverage recently has been appalling, it seems like they abandoned the race for the LLS a while ago. Instead we've been treated to the battle against relegation but all this does is showcase a succession of poor teams showing why they are where they are. The Wigan V Hull match on Thursday was pretty good, other than that.... rubbish. I would suggest that in order to promote the game, perhaps don't concentrate on clubs that struggle to play it to a reasonable standard.
    To be fair to the BBC, the 10 o’clock news mentioned the fans brawling and concluded by saying that Warrington’s loss had resulted in Saints getting the LLS.

  23. #48
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Let's not follow,others, if other don't value it then it doesn't mean we shouldn't

    I think it stands for something, if we celebrate it, promote it and talk it up over time it will get more coverage

    Make it a race to success not a race to ignore

  24. #49
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm not going to win people over here, but Wigan are starting to come good at the right time, can see a Saints Wigan grand final on the horizon,, hope I'm wrong

  25. #50
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,375
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    To be fair to the BBC, the 10 o’clock news mentioned the fans brawling and concluded by saying that Warrington’s loss had resulted in Saints getting the LLS.
    They mentioned it after a list of other sporting events, some of which seemed, to be polite, quite niche. I think Rugby League only got a mention at all because of the brawl.

    I was shocked that Sky never even mentioned our winning the Shield. I’m also annoyed that I went off to make my tea and missed the brawl. I’ll have to undelete the recording.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •