Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: League Leaders Shield

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I agree that winning the LLS should be held in higher esteem than it is, but It doesn’t exactly help when the sport’s exclusive broadcaster doesn’t even consider it worth mentioning.
    To be fair to SKY, they never really wanted the LLS, just the GF and you can sort of see why from a broadcasters point of view, with everything resting on the final game of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    To be fair to SKY, they never really wanted the LLS, just the GF and you can sort of see why from a broadcasters point of view, with everything resting on the final game of the season.
    But to not even mention it seems odd, and unprecedented, I think.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    To be fair to the BBC, the 10 o’clock news mentioned the fans brawling and concluded by saying that Warrington’s loss had resulted in Saints getting the LLS.
    The BBC red button site says that Catalans beating Warrington "handed the League Leaders Shield to St Helens"> No one "handed it to us"! We are the best team in the league by (at the latest count) twelve points. Awful journalism as usual from our totally unbiased tax payer funded state TV.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I'd be happy with a cup and name change, but would not want automatic final spot.

We'd be so out of shape waiting 3 or 4 weeks for the other finalists.

I think the top 5 is the best formula. Gives top a real advantage. I just wish people would not think to value the gf they have to devalue everything else as that devalues our sport.
    Why not GF for the top two? I understand the need for a "Showpeice "finale at the season end, so why not the best two teams in the comp? It'd get rid of this idea of teams peaking at the right time to play play off footie.

In The South Stand

I think at times about what any premier team would think if as now we can claim to have I think won the league 9 times out of 24 and we didn't get to be called champions . Rugby League in Britain is just a toy of SKY TV a filler in , I had made plans for this week which includes coming home on Friday and watching Saints now I have to watch knowing the result.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    But to not even mention it seems odd, and unprecedented, I think.
    Oh I agree with you. I just see where SKY are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Why not GF for the top two? I understand the need for a "Showpeice "finale at the season end, so why not the best two teams in the comp? It'd get rid of this idea of teams peaking at the right time to play play off footie.
    Same reason as why SKY want play-offs to build up to the GF. The top two could be decided weeks before the end of the season.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    This. Gimmicky Australian shite that has nothing to do with our game. 14 team SL playing each other once home and away. No stupid magic weekend. All teams start the cup from the first round proper. If they want to keep the charity shirts for 1 weeks then fair enough.
    It hasn’t been our sport for over 20 years, the playoff system is the route we went down and we have stuck with it. For me, I don’t mind it. Yes it doesn’t necessarily reward consistency all year (although his years format goes some way to restoring that) but we are not football or rugby union and for me it’s still the way to go.
    As for magic weekend, I’ve never been a fan but our sport has limited exposure and this event does that to potential sponsors etc. Even our ‘gimmicky’ Australian friends have copied it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    It hasn’t been our sport for over 20 years, the playoff system is the route we went down and we have stuck with it. For me, I don’t mind it. Yes it doesn’t necessarily reward consistency all year (although his years format goes some way to restoring that) but we are not football or rugby union and for me it’s still the way to go.
    As for magic weekend, I’ve never been a fan but our sport has limited exposure and this event does that to potential sponsors etc. Even our ‘gimmicky’ Australian friends have copied it.
    We're all allowed an opinion and yes, you're right regarding potential sponsors, however, MW is sponsored by Dacia, probably one of the crappiest car manufacturers I can think of. I guess I just have a bit of a downer on the game, even though we've had a great season, I just don't enjoy it the same and there's a lot I don't like.

I assume you were implying that football and union have sufficient money in the game to not need a cash spinning but potentially distorting play-off system. However, union introduced a play-off system in 2002-3 and have continued with it since so presumably it has support throughout the game. Currently, it is identical to that used in rugby league last season so there is no prospect of a team placed 5th or lower in the league being crowned champions.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I assume you were implying that football and union have sufficient money in the game to not need a cash spinning but potentially distorting play-off system. However, union introduced a play-off system in 2002-3 and have continued with it since so presumably it has support throughout the game. Currently, it is identical to that used in rugby league last season so there is no prospect of a team placed 5th or lower in the league being crowned champions.
    My quote was in reference to the stature (both in following, grass routes and financially) of our sport in comparison football and rugby union. Couldn’t care less what system either of those sports have as both bore me to tears.
    Our sport needs an alternative interest for people at the end of the season, like it or not. It creates higher viewing figures for sky (our major financial backer) and keeps our league somewhat interesting when you consider the quality between sides throughout the league ie. Hull, Catalan, Wigan & Warrington can all have a realistic vested interest in competing come the end of August.
    Without a playoff system the league would now be over and no one would be interested until February 2020.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS2411 View Post
    You should change your name to bitter blue. If it’s the only chance of us winning it, what chance have you. �� ��
    Should I? Did that sound really funny in your head? 200/1 according to Sky bet which I'd say is pretty accurate.

The warped league fixture format & the constant meddling with the play offs make the sport in this country look ridiculous & the Challenge Cup has been devalued. Sky have done a great job in making it look amateurish

My quote was in reference to the stature (both in following, grass routes and financially) of our sport in comparison football and rugby union. Couldn’t care less what system either of those sports have as both bore me to tears.
    Our sport needs an alternative interest for people at the end of the season, like it or not. It creates higher viewing figures for sky (our major financial backer) and keeps our league somewhat interesting when you consider the quality between sides throughout the league ie. Hull, Catalan, Wigan & Warrington can all have a realistic vested interest in competing come the end of August.
    Without a playoff system the league would now be over and no one would be interested until February 2020.
    I agree with all you’ve said regarding the play-off approach and maintaining interest.. I just wasn’t sure why you mentioned union given they have a similar system.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    The warped league fixture format & the constant meddling with the play offs make the sport in this country look ridiculous & the Challenge Cup has been devalued. Sky have done a great job in making it look amateurish
    This. I think Sky see us about the same level as Speedway, Hurling and Table Tennis.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    This. I think Sky see us about the same level as Speedway, Hurling and Table Tennis.
    And below Gaelic football apparently!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............