Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cats Vs wire

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Agreed I think with the ref wanted to sin bin a player from each to calm things down after the two teams had come together.

The end of the game was a difficult situation for the ref. Technically he was correct that the last penalty had to be taken but I'm sure from a safety point of view he could have called it full time.

Unfortunately with only having a small number of Super League referees there seems to be too much familiarity between the refs and players.

Throughout the game Hill and Tompkins were having running conversations with the ref
    complaining about the opposition.
    Childs was almost being too reasonable by responding to them and explaining his decision.

I know captains have a right to question the decisions but this was constant throughout the game
    To be fair to Childs you could hear at the end say "I would advise you to take the penalty and just punt it off the field".

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Strange that the referee is getting the blame. Because of the production you could clearly hear the referee talking to the players all through the game, it's hardly his fault that they took no notice is it?

He sent two players to the sin bin early on, which should have been a warning to the players to calm down. McIlorum can feel very hard done by in that instance, he was merely trying to pull Hill away from the Catalan player.
    Yeah, MM trying to pull someone away from a fight. The guy is a thug and would cause trouble in an empty room.

Next you will be telling us that Sam Tompkins is the best full back in super league by some distance.

Take off your pie tinted specs please.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post

Why should it be his job to control players? How about they control themselves? Or is that asking too much?

At the end of the day, if the players acted professionally and didn't act like thugs, then no situation would arise that would cause a referee to lose control.

The situation ended up the way it did because of the players actions. Why blame someone's lack of awareness? How about looking at the root cause (the cheap shots that you referred to above). Get rid of the cheap shots, and then a referee wouldn't have to look for them.
    I'll leave it there,you've answered your own questions!

Learning All The Songs MancSaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    They wouldn’t hesitate banning our players. Was it 2012 when we sacked Simmons, battered Leeds then Warrington, the RFL then banned Wellens and Laffranchi just in time for the Good Friday game??
    Same back end of 2016 when the RFL banned Luke Walsh for a soft tackle and we lost at Wigan in the super 8’s??
    That does sound familiar mate yes (how are you Fishy btw, been a while)

For the record I thought Childs did well enough right up until the end; the game was over, he clearly did say "my advice is tap it and walk off" but for me he should have ordered it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Just watched the game, I don't think it mattered who was refereeing that game the dirty spoiling tactics from both sides would have still been the same. Paddy Wack shouldn't have been yellow carded in the first half he was more of a peacemaker in that incident pushing the Wire player away on the ground.

Patton is a right grub must have been penalised 4 or 5 times for head tackles and Chris Hill needs to wear a muzzle instead of a skull cap. James Child only lost control in the last 2 minutes when both teams took the matter in their own hands and wouldn't allow Childs to calm things down. Edwards incitement to create another scrap was a disgrace.

I can't see the disciplinary treating this lightly they need to show some backbone so we don't see this constant aggression to the officials recurring.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernard View Post
    I'll leave it there,you've answered your own questions!
    Yeah, probably very wise. I did address all of your points though, and I'm glad to see that you have come around to agreeing with me

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    That does sound familiar mate yes (how are you Fishy btw, been a while)

For the record I thought Childs did well enough right up until the end; the game was over, he clearly did say "my advice is tap it and walk off" but for me he should have ordered it.
    Alreet, Manc! Where you been? Its crackers on here these days. Missed you. I agree regarding Childs. I thought he had a good game overall, but he’s always struggled in the past when games have got heated. What went on last night was well out of his hands though. Im not sure any of that rabble would have paid attention had he been more assertive.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    There has been a marked change in how Warrington play since Price took charge and it isn't pretty.
    Exactly right. The coach has a lot to answers for,

WARNING! PIE EATER!

They wouldn’t hesitate banning our players. Was it 2012 when we sacked Simmons, battered Leeds then Warrington, the RFL then banned Wellens and Laffranchi just in time for the Good Friday game??
    Same back end of 2016 when the RFL banned Luke Walsh for a soft tackle and we lost at Wigan in the super 8’s??
    I'll bet you've never had a player banned from a Championship semi final AND Challenge Cup Final for a technical offence (foot up in the scrum)?
    You would be moaning then

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I'll bet you've never had a player banned from a Championship semi final AND Challenge Cup Final for a technical offence (foot up in the scrum)?
    You would be moaning then
    Well you shouldn't have sold us Sayer!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Just watched the game, I don't think it mattered who was refereeing that game the dirty spoiling tactics from both sides would have still been the same. Paddy Wack shouldn't have been yellow carded in the first half he was more of a peacemaker in that incident pushing the Wire player away on the ground.

Patton is a right grub must have been penalised 4 or 5 times for head tackles and Chris Hill needs to wear a muzzle instead of a skull cap. James Child only lost control in the last 2 minutes when both teams took the matter in their own hands and wouldn't allow Childs to calm things down. Edwards incitement to create another scrap was a disgrace.

I can't see the disciplinary treating this lightly they need to show some backbone so we don't see this constant aggression to the officials recurring.
    His mouthing off and ignoring the ref and linesman should get him a ban. When all the scuffling was going on he did nothing but run from one scuffle to the other, not sure what he was trying to achieve, he didn't throw a punch nor stop anyone else. When the ref was trying to separate the teams at least Casty got his players back while Hill kept mouthing off.

I don't know if something happened off screen at the end it seemed Casty and other Cats players were holding Edwards back, when Hill went running over again, even though there was no Warrington player in the picture.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MancSaint View Post
    100% correct. The RFL will bottle this, for a nonsense "not wanting to ruin a showpiece final" excuse.
    I tend to agree, however on the other hand do they need to risk another "Ben Flower" spectacle?

In The South Stand

Just for once I think the newspapers will give big coverage to Rugby League and I do mean all the Newspapers .

In The South Stand

I am going to say this and I don't care who disagrees , the old time Referees would be walking players back 10 for arguing with him and if they carried on talking the players concerned would be told carry on talking to me and you can go and sit down over there and talk to yourself in other words turn the clock back.

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    I tend to agree, however on the other hand do they need to risk another "Ben Flower" spectacle?
    On the pitch or in the stands?

Got A Season Ticket

I'm really not a big fan of Hill. He's a grub, with underhand tactics, who picks on smaller men than himself. However, I think people need to consider the situation he found himself at the end of the game. His family and children were surrounded by drunk knobheads fighting in the stands.

Can you all really say you would have kept a cool head in the circumstances?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by StillInTesco View Post
    I'm really not a big fan of Hill. He's a grub, with underhand tactics, who picks on smaller men than himself. However, I think people need to consider the situation he found himself at the end of the game. His family and children were surrounded by drunk knobheads fighting in the stands.

Can you all really say you would have kept a cool head in the circumstances?
    I'm not sure what he could have done and I felt sorry for the ref, how does he control that one!

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    I am going to say this and I don't care who disagrees , the old time Referees would be walking players back 10 for arguing with him and if they carried on talking the players concerned would be told carry on talking to me and you can go and sit down over there and talk to yourself in other words turn the clock back.

I agree, but the 10 yard punishment seems to have gone

I would fully support a penalty for anyone but the captain talking to officials, allowing them to talk 'a bit' doesn't really work as it's the thin end of the wedge

In The South Stand

Well our game will end up like football then.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernard View Post
    Childs was poor but had his work cut out. Hill is a cheap shot merchant who isn't worthy of being captain, rightly concerned for his family but going about it the wrong way. It's hard to tell from the footage but the only thing I could see being thrown was a yellow seat back towards the gantry. It was a bad tempered game but that shouldn't spill over to the terraces.
    Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    The reason he had his work cut out was because of the thuggish mindset of the players from both sides. Don't think that Childs was poor at all. For once, I thought that he had a very good game. I thought that he handled every situation very well. It was the players that were poor!
    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    There’s no way he will receive a ban for passionately trying to get the ref to stop the game so that he can defend his family. I honestly don’t think the abuse was aimed at Childs - more a frustrated plea to stop the game.

We risk excusing poor behaviour, Hill may have acted genuinely but his actions didn't really protect his family only as I could see incite more concern and therefore risk to more escalation. What was the ref to do?we cannot have players joining the crowd.
    He wasn't alone many players were acting unprofessionally and it will take some working out

For me in the cold light of day it was an aggressive match which spoiled over despite the refs best efforts not because
    It's a contact sport and whilst I don't condone this behaviour I accept it will occasionally happen.

Find the worst culprits, ban them, ban the bad fans and fine the clubs
    The coaches shouldn't aim to divert blame to the ref or anywhere else, they should take responsibility, punish and move on

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Absolutely Prez, clear as day to the fans here, but as history tells us, the RFL don't think in 'straight lines'.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    We risk excusing poor behaviour, Hill may have acted genuinely but his actions didn't really protect his family only as I could see incite more concern and therefore risk to more escalation. What was the ref to do?we cannot have players joining the crowd.
    He wasn't alone many players were acting unprofessionally and it will take some working out
    I said he was rightly concerned and said he went about it the wrong way, is that not what you are saying? He's a plonker but even plonkers might have family. I'm NOT condoning it!
    He was making matters worse as were the other players and Childs couldn't have done anything differently at the end.
    Last edited by St. Bernard; 4th August 2019 at 22:02.

Alreet, Manc! Where you been? Its crackers on here these days. Missed you.
    Ah God bless you Sir.

I'd like to say I've been busy on a world tour promoting my new album and line of designer thongs for 'big lads', but it wouldn't be true

Moved house twice and changed jobs once pal.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Just watched the last 10 minutes, both sets of players were an absolute disgrace. I didn't see what went before but there can be no excuses for the way they reacted towards the referee. Sadly all respect seems to be rapidly disappearing from the game. Even one of the Sky commentators was laughing at the backchat from Tomkins when he was 'asking' about the dissent penalty against Gigot and then laughing away with a teammate behind the referees back. Bird spent most of the last 10 minutes basically just taking the mick out of Child, fishing for penalties and mouthing off, while Edwards seemed intent on starting trouble with anyone who came near him.

I'd like to see the RFL come out and publicly back their officials and set out a zero tolerance policy on backchat and abusive language with immediate effect. I'd also like to see referees go back to using shirt numbers rather than calling players by their name, frankly the players don't deserve anything more than that. The whole of SL needs to come together and stamp this out because it will only continue to deteriorate as players look the push the boundaries that little bit further each time, we're fast losing the 'family sport' image we like to present. I thought in the circumstances Child handled the end of that game incredibly well, he was the only person behaving professionally on the pitch.

A number of bans should follow but we all know how the disciplinary works in the lead up to a big game.

As for the crowd trouble, it's difficult to comment too much without really seeing what went on aside from the brief coverage during the game but regardless the end result was distasteful to say the least and both clubs should face appropriate punishment. I'd give both a hefty fine and a game played behind closed doors if it happens again inside two years.
    I never thought I’d see the day when I might defend Tomkins but he simply asked Childs who had been responsible for the dissent that had led to a penalty. Childs told him that it was Gigot and he smiled/laughed at the predictability of who was most likely to have argued/answered back. Given that predictably, McNamara needs to have a word.

I agree with you about Childs. In any event refs need to be respected even when they they are wrong and it’s inevitable that they will get things wrong. Like others, I fail to understand why these two teams were so wound up with each other.

P.S. I’ve said it before but refs need to be addressed as “Sir” and they need to address players by team and number. It sounds old fashioned but it ensures a sense of distance and respect.

Got A Season Ticket

Kenny Edwards deserves a big ban. He incited lots of the trouble.

It's funny to see that the rest of Super League's fans now hate him. They weren't so full of hate last year when he launched a ball into our fans. Certainly an interesting signing by Huddersfield.