Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cats Vs wire

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Like I said, there won't be any bans that cause any Wire player to miss Wembley - least of all Hill, who seems to have the same immunity as Shirley Temple.
    Agreed 2 match bans at most then fit for Wembley

Irrespective of whether any Wire players miss Wembley because of a ban, I think the major impact of yesterday’s game would be if Austin fails to overcome his injury.

Note Child does not seem to get as many TV games, he sent Hill to the sin bin for a high tackle, then two Warrington players were warned Twice about high tackles and no action. I don't find anything funny what went on the stand, its a long time since anything like that has been seen in our sport, and we don't need it, those who look at the match in detail when it comes to decisions on what action to take, have to take as long as it needs to get this right, a sad day for the game which the national players have loved today.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    This was in the 80s!

And yeah, we started legging it - but a number of Saints fans gave the 'wtf do you think you're playing at?' to the bunch of Wire fans, who sort of slunk back.
    They were known for it in the early to middle eighties, grown men picking on 15 and 16 year olds,a few of us had to give it toes down the side of the bank pub when we met their lot coming in from the train on a Wednesday evening game, we were not even going to the game. Large gang of men in their 40`s trying to give chase, pathetic for middle aged men. Saying that Rylands was always a tough away match to play in them days.

In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Note Child does not seem to get as many TV games, he sent Hill to the sin bin for a high tackle, then two Warrington players were warned Twice about high tackles and no action. I don't find anything funny what went on the stand, its a long time since anything like that has been seen in our sport, and we don't need it, those who look at the match in detail when it comes to decisions on what action to take, have to take as long as it needs to get this right, a sad day for the game which the national players have loved today.
    Child's called Hill over at one point and told him it was the 5th penalty for a high tackle the next two penalties against warrington were for the same, but no team warning.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

The full match for those who are interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LJZ8YziGBI

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Strange that the referee is getting the blame. Because of the production you could clearly hear the referee talking to the players all through the game, it's hardly his fault that they took no notice is it?

He sent two players to the sin bin early on, which should have been a warning to the players to calm down. McIlorum can feel very hard done by in that instance, he was merely trying to pull Hill away from the Catalan player.

In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Strange that the referee is getting the blame. Because of the production you could clearly hear the referee talking to the players all through the game, it's hardly his fault that they took no notice is it?

He sent two players to the sin bin early on, which should have been a warning to the players to calm down. McIlorum can feel very hard done by in that instance, he was merely trying to pull Hill away from the Catalan player.
    Absolutely Rogues. Glad to see a reasoned post on the matter.

Michael McIlorum is an angel
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    This may sound draconian, but a total ban on alcohol sales INSIDE stadiums would help in my opinion
    I teetotaly agree . joking aside . You are correct .

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Having looked at the footage several times Mamo was lucky to get away with a yellow at the end and may end up with more severe punishment. Sam having a go back at him will definitely pick up a ban for punching. The high tackle that sparked it seems to come off the ball carrying arm and up in to the face so I would say worth a yellow normally but probably a red and sending off sufficient in the context of this game.

Bird and Edwards may be in trouble for Cats and Hill, Currie, Davis and Lineham for Wire and possibly Goodwin.

Will be interesting to see what the RFL come up with.

As for the fans, all aggression seemed to be coming from the Wire fans trying to get at the Cats fans. Wire fans show their stupidity as it's a lot easier to fight off a bunch of knobheads when you're stood above them with a fence in between.

Agree about McIlorum and the sin binning but he deliberately pulled off Hillís headgear soon after and got away with it.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Only wire fans desperate to deflect responsibility are blaming the ref.

First it was a chair being thrown.
    Then it was beer glasses being throw.
    Finally they settled on the ref as the cause (excuse) for absolving their fans of any accountability.

Watch for this next week when the ref misses a forward pass.

Got A Season Ticket

Just watched the match again. Two very dirty sides who play the game in an overly aggressive manner. It must be very difficult to referee a game like that when you have players that have no control, no respect and no discipline, and have a desire to intentionally rile and intimidate the opposition and match officials. I thought that James Child handled the end of the game very well. He was calm and refused to be bullied by the on-field thugs.

The high tackle at the end by McIlorum was a shocker. Deliberate stiff arm and direct contact to the head. Can see him getting 5 matches for that. Season over.

Chris Hill is a disgrace to the game of Rugby League. At the end, you could clearly hear him swearing repeatedly at the referee. He showed no respect at all. Constantly telling the referee what he should do. The RFL needs to come down very hard on him. I would be extremely surprised if he makes an appearance at Wembley.

Ratchford was trying to referee the game himself as well by saying to his players, "let's just clap the fans, and walk off". Erm, does he not know the rules?

Overall, it is just terrible for our game. Once again, a negative Rugby League incident occurs and the mainstream media like the BBC are all over it and rubbing their hands with glee. Well done to both sets of players, and the small number of moronic fans, who I hope, never get the chance to enter a Rugby League stadium ever again.

Got A Replica Shirt

Childs was poor but had his work cut out. Hill is a cheap shot merchant who isn't worthy of being captain, rightly concerned for his family but going about it the wrong way. It's hard to tell from the footage but the only thing I could see being thrown was a yellow seat back towards the gantry. It was a bad tempered game but that shouldn't spill over to the terraces.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Having looked at the sin-binnings earlier in the game Hill clearly attacks Simon's head when he is on the ground after the initial high tackle. Maybe up before the judiciary for that one as well.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Grade c to f for verbally abusing a refs call.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernard View Post
    Childs was poor but had his work cut out.
    The reason he had his work cut out was because of the thuggish mindset of the players from both sides. Don't think that Childs was poor at all. For once, I thought that he had a very good game. I thought that he handled every situation very well. It was the players that were poor!

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Grade c to f for verbally abusing a refs call.
    Yep. Foul language towards a match official is 4 - 6 games. Clearly Chris Hill is guilty of this charge. Evidence: Live TV audio

In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saint87 View Post
    Yep. Foul language towards a match official is 4 - 6 games. Clearly Chris Hill is guilty of this charge. Evidence: Live TV audio
    Be interesting to see the outcome of that.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

Thereís no way he will receive a ban for passionately trying to get the ref to stop the game so that he can defend his family. I honestly donít think the abuse was aimed at Childs - more a frustrated plea to stop the game.

In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar

The fight is what it is on the field, a few have bans coming, tomkins was probably unfair, don't think he did any more or any less than most.

Kenny Edwards is a disgrace, Gigot and Casty push him away and he nearly starts fighting with them too. He also jumps over the top of everyone to start it all

As for the Wire fans we don't know what started it, but it doesn't look great a lot of the talk online blames a former player. However you see a number manage to climb over and do a bit of pavement dancing because they don't know what to do next, it's only a handful of the fans out of the 1500 that travelled, but they are a disgrace no doubt. Too much beer, sun and thinking they're an invading army for some.

I think Childs handles it well at the end and also the match, both teams were trying it all match. I do think he could have just blown the whistle at the end and walked them off, rules or not he'd have been fully justified in blowing the whistle, I think this bring a 'stickler for the rules' winds players up, but that's the aftermath, the damage was already done by the players. He does however manage to remain calm in the face of screaming players who seemingly fail to see their involvement in kicking the supporters off

Realistically they'll look to ban some supporters which is pretty much impossible to police outside of the HJ. Can see both teams picking up fines.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Agree about McIlorum and the sin binning but he deliberately pulled off Hillís headgear soon after and got away with it.
    Agreed I think with the ref wanted to sin bin a player from each to calm things down after the two teams had come together.

The end of the game was a difficult situation for the ref. Technically he was correct that the last penalty had to be taken but I'm sure from a safety point of view he could have called it full time.

Unfortunately with only having a small number of Super League referees there seems to be too much familiarity between the refs and players.

Throughout the game Hill and Tompkins were having running conversations with the ref
    complaining about the opposition.
    Childs was almost being too reasonable by responding to them and explaining his decision.

I know captains have a right to question the decisions but this was constant throughout the game

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Be interesting to see the outcome of that.
    The RFL are bound to announce an in depth investigation into the proceedings, what's the betting that the investigations and subsequent disciplinary findings take place in about three weeks time, after the Bank Holiday

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    The RFL are bound to announce an in depth investigation into the proceedings, what's the betting that the investigations and subsequent disciplinary findings take place in about three weeks time, after the Bank Holiday
    Most likely. I missed the dramas because i switched off with 5 minutes left of the game

Looked pretty nasty what went on in the stands.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Childs has struggled to contain ill tempered games in the past but i thought he referee’d yesterdays game well from what i saw. Im not sure where the animosity between these two clubs has come from. Was the overall game bubbling or did it come from history between the two? Fair enough Catalans beat them at Wembley, but still, by that rationale we can drop a Hiroshima size bomb on Headingley.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies