Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Wire v Saints Wembley

  1. #1
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Wire v Saints Wembley

    Wire fan in peace. I'm really looking forward to this one. As much as anything else, a Wire v Saints final has been the only thing missing since our researgence 10 or so years ago, and of course, still no blinking GF. The only thing is from a Wire point of view, is that it's probably the worst time to play you. I have to say, with Coote back, you look the real deal and a fair distance above us and other sides. I think we'll be competitive, but without torrential rain and a hurricane, I can't unfortunately see past yourselves.

    Anyhow, I'm sure it'll be a great rl spectacle. Two very good sides and rivals going toe to toe, with a backdrop of two well supported sides. Really looking forward to it.

  2. #2
    Starting A Programme Collection The frenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Crank caverns
    Posts
    927
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    It's a really tough one to call. Neither side has the best record in knockout/finals and either side can win on their day. The league counts for nothing in a final as has been proven many times before. 1v2 and something that's been missing for a while like you say saints Vs wire in a final, both have come short recently so one has got to win. I wouldn't be surprised if one won the CCup and the other won GF (with the cup winner fading) either that or we kick on for the treble. Really looking forward to the trip down to Wembley as it's been a good while for me personally. If both sides play to their potential then I think we should edge it but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

  3. #3
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Are we capable of beating Warrington?? YEP!!
    Are we capable of getting a twitchy arse in a game that matters? YEP!!

    The bookies won’t touch this one.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  4. #4
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    In the past few years our pack has managed, just about to turn things in our favour. This year though, with Walmsley back and the great improvement in Knowles, Lees and Ashworth, you've got all bases covered. On a side note, the last three names I've mentioned look cracking players already. Goodness knows how good they'll be in 2/3 years time and onwards. If you guys can keep hold of those, plus Thompson and Walmsley, it's going be one hell of a pack, just need to find a hooker to replace Roby in the coming years.


    Really looking forward to it. Our first cc win in a generation v Hudds in 2009 meant a hell of a lot. But, out of all our recent 3 wins in the cc, I have to say that in the unliklihood we won, it would probably give me the biggest buzz due to the rivalry and us being underdogs. May the worst team win!

  5. #5
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    In the past few years our pack has managed, just about to turn things in our favour. This year though, with Walmsley back and the great improvement in Knowles, Lees and Ashworth, you've got all bases covered. On a side note, the last three names I've mentioned look cracking players already. Goodness knows how good they'll be in 2/3 years time and onwards. If you guys can keep hold of those, plus Thompson and Walmsley, it's going be one hell of a pack, just need to find a hooker to replace Roby in the coming years.


    Really looking forward to it. Our first cc win in a generation v Hudds in 2009 meant a hell of a lot. But, out of all our recent 3 wins in the cc, I have to say that in the unliklihood we won, it would probably give me the biggest buzz due to the rivalry and us being underdogs. May the worst team win!
    I assume you’re a Warrington supporter pal haha. Good post. Unlike that Duckie fella you don’t seem to be a retarded (is that still PC) co**dribble.
    I reckon its anyones game. Please don’t be too cruel if you beat us, i won’t rub it in either

    Seriously though, this should be a good game. This is the most important game for us in our recent memory IMO. If we win, we shake the big game monkey and kick on. If we lose, we limp home through the play offs and get beat in the play offs i reckon.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  6. #6
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    45
    Posts
    4,310
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    50:50 for me. We're top of the league but Wire have much more Wembley experience so nerves won't be a factor for them

    I would not be shocked at all if we got beat. It's not like Murrayfield 2002 where we were absolutely nailed on to win and lost to a very average side

  7. #7
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,995
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    A lot will depend on who we have available. We don't know when Walmley will be back and I think Coote sees the specialist on Tues. If we are without those 2 we could be disrupted, particularly with our organisation and kicking. If we have those back, I fancy us to go the distance.

  8. #8
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    9,553
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Personnel available is important but not paramount IMO. If we went into the game missing 4 first teamers, written off by the pundits, for some reason i would be more confident than if we went into the game at full strength. We just seem to be better as underdogs.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  9. #9
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,995
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Personnel available is important but not paramount IMO. If we went into the game missing 4 first teamers, written off by the pundits, for some reason i would be more confident than if we went into the game at full strength. We just seem to be better as underdogs.
    I would like to see us both go in with full strength teams, then it should be a game worthy of Wembley

  10. #10
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Same here as long as Coote isn't playing!

    Duckie is ok really (im sure)-he's just stirring things up. From a Wire point of view, and I'm sure Duckie feels the same, you are our biggest rivals. I know you have Wigan and we have Widnes, but, there's a real electrifying atmosphere when we play each other. And apart from being just down the road, we have a few scores to settle:

    No.1- that ridiculous run of wins you had against us in SL
    No2- hoping to end those wins, bloody Shaun Long with his drop goals
    No 3-you guys have to get us back for some of the GF semi finals
    No 4- and the worst, which we'll never be able to get back-that 80-0 scoreline under Brian Johnson. I was there at Knowsley road and it was bloody
    Aweful.
    No 5- we have to remove that enjoying face of LMS (Micheal Mcintyres).
    No 6- try and avoid another year of oh wankey wankey!

    All that said, I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be a proper game with a proper atmosphere. I think you'll do it. It pains me to say, but I
    think you'll do the treble, no doubt. I've not seen an SL side so far ahead of the others in many a year.and credit where credit's due. And big credit
    to your club as a breeding ground of top players. If sides, including the NRL we're to compete with only home grown players, it's a two horse race between you and Wigan.

    Anyhow, looking forward to the big game. (Apparently there's a hurricane and torrential rain predicted for the final weekend, so we have a chance!- I wish!)

  11. #11
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    (Just posted this without the quote)

  12. #12
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    I assume you’re a Warrington supporter pal haha. Good post. Unlike that Duckie fella you don’t seem to be a retarded (is that still PC) co**dribble.
    I reckon its anyones game. Please don’t be too cruel if you beat us, i won’t rub it in either

    Seriously though, this should be a good game. This is the most important game for us in our recent memory IMO. If we win, we shake the big game monkey and kick on. If we lose, we limp home through the play offs and get beat in the play offs i reckon.
    I wish it would be that way. But i reckon you'll do the 3 this year. It's painful thinking about it. All those 'wankey wankey' tunes, and ' it's always your
    year'- unbearable! But credit to Saints.

    I think everyone's biggest signing is Holbrook leaving. What a fantastic coach. Apparently Coote said that he was the best coach he'd ever played under. Imagine if Holbrook had been coach at Warrington- we can only dream. Price is a lovely chap, but no where near on the same level for me.i don't think anyone else is. He'll rip it up in the NRL I'm sure, like Trent Robinson.

  13. #13
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road
    Posts
    1,074
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I wish it would be that way. But i reckon you'll do the 3 this year. It's painful thinking about it. All those 'wankey wankey' tunes, and ' it's always your
    year'- unbearable! But credit to Saints.

    I think everyone's biggest signing is Holbrook leaving. What a fantastic coach. Apparently Coote said that he was the best coach he'd ever played under. Imagine if Holbrook had been coach at Warrington- we can only dream. Price is a lovely chap, but no where near on the same level for me.i don't think anyone else is. He'll rip it up in the NRL I'm sure, like Trent Robinson.
    For both teams it's going to depends on injuries/fitness.
    I think Saints first choice side just about edges it over Warringtons first choice side.

  14. #14
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    3,031
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Same here as long as Coote isn't playing!

    Duckie is ok really (im sure)-he's just stirring things up. From a Wire point of view, and I'm sure Duckie feels the same, you are our biggest rivals. I know you have Wigan and we have Widnes, but, there's a real electrifying atmosphere when we play each other. And apart from being just down the road, we have a few scores to settle:

    No.1- that ridiculous run of wins you had against us in SL
    No2- hoping to end those wins, bloody Shaun Long with his drop goals
    No 3-you guys have to get us back for some of the GF semi finals
    No 4- and the worst, which we'll never be able to get back-that 80-0 scoreline under Brian Johnson. I was there at Knowsley road and it was bloody
    Aweful.
    No 5- we have to remove that enjoying face of LMS (Micheal Mcintyres).
    No 6- try and avoid another year of oh wankey wankey!

    All that said, I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be a proper game with a proper atmosphere. I think you'll do it. It pains me to say, but I
    think you'll do the treble, no doubt. I've not seen an SL side so far ahead of the others in many a year.and credit where credit's due. And big credit
    to your club as a breeding ground of top players. If sides, including the NRL we're to compete with only home grown players, it's a two horse race between you and Wigan.

    Anyhow, looking forward to the big game. (Apparently there's a hurricane and torrential rain predicted for the final weekend, so we have a chance!- I wish!)
    Wigan will always be our biggest rivals. Warrington are a club we just don't like.

    As much as I hate to say it, (and I don't respect them one bit), Wigan are the most successful club in the game. Not all the time but most of the time, their relentless drive to win at all costs, and all manners of play (A lot of it good, a lot of it blatant thuggery or cheating, has got them over the line). Being St Helens, we are always chasing their total. You can't argue against what they've put in the trophy cabinet.

    You are a well meaning poster & I hope that you have a great day out at Wembley, regardless of the result, but unfortunately, I see your club as a pain in the bum. The majority of your speccies never set foot in Wilderspool & the majority of your town didn't realise that you had a rugby league team until the mid 2000's.

    I don't think there'll be much in the way of friendly banter going on Wembley day. I'll be keeping away from Warrington fans as much as I possibly can.
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  15. #15
    WARNING! WOLF FAN!

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    It comes down to the pack. Who gets on top wins the game. Both teams have the backs to finish teams off.

  16. #16
    Upside
    Non Members

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    It comes down to the pack. Who gets on top wins the game. Both teams have the backs to finish teams off.
    Or the packs equal each other out and the backs win the game

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection The frenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Crank caverns
    Posts
    927
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    It comes down to the pack. Who gets on top wins the game. Both teams have the backs to finish teams off.
    I'd agree with that, the difference between us so far this year for me has been our substitutes. We've had lads like lees coming on and having a wow of a game and we've turned the screw in that quarter. You'd expect us to go down a gear when Thompson and Walmsley go off. Has that been wire using their best players to combat those 2 starting then when we all change our lads have gone up a gear and Warrington couldn't cope?

    If that's the case, it could be a worry for us because these lads are still developing and playing like that in a final is a big task.

    This game next week is a weird one how would you play it if you were in charge? If we go 3 from 3 does that put more pressure on us or does 2-1 give them confidence they can beat us?

  18. #18
    In The South Stand Webbo Again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,544
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Same here as long as Coote isn't playing!

    Duckie is ok really (im sure)-he's just stirring things up. From a Wire point of view, and I'm sure Duckie feels the same, you are our biggest rivals. I know you have Wigan and we have Widnes, but, there's a real electrifying atmosphere when we play each other. And apart from being just down the road, we have a few scores to settle:

    No.1- that ridiculous run of wins you had against us in SL
    No2- hoping to end those wins, bloody Shaun Long with his drop goals
    No 3-you guys have to get us back for some of the GF semi finals
    No 4- and the worst, which we'll never be able to get back-that 80-0 scoreline under Brian Johnson. I was there at Knowsley road and it was bloody
    Aweful.
    No 5- we have to remove that enjoying face of LMS (Micheal Mcintyres).
    No 6- try and avoid another year of oh wankey wankey!

    All that said, I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be a proper game with a proper atmosphere. I think you'll do it. It pains me to say, but I
    think you'll do the treble, no doubt. I've not seen an SL side so far ahead of the others in many a year.and credit where credit's due. And big credit
    to your club as a breeding ground of top players. If sides, including the NRL we're to compete with only home grown players, it's a two horse race between you and Wigan.

    Anyhow, looking forward to the big game. (Apparently there's a hurricane and torrential rain predicted for the final weekend, so we have a chance!- I wish!)
    Listen, pal. Will you sod off coming on here and being so bloody reasonable. It's ruining my hate.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  19. #19
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,003
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Blake Austin was helped off the field first half of the Catalans match, didnt look good for him.

    On another note how soft are these refs, Chris Hill getting yellow carded and Mcilorum for trying to push him off?
    The high tackle by Hill wasnt worthy of a yellow when you see some of the high tackles that just get a penalty these days. Bit of handbags and its straight to the bin. Need toughen up

  20. #20
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    769
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I think form largely goes out the window in a cup final. On form I would take us to win it in a a close contest - but given it's the first time we've been to Wembley in a decade and Warrington have been there on a few occasions in that period - it feels like a 50:50 game, which will make it a nerve-wracking experience.

    Who knows how it will go on the day - but the team that manages the game and occasion the best I feel will win. Hopefully a good contest without a piece of luck or a bad decision not being the deciding factor.

    Bad planning on my part means I will be away and will probably have to listen on the radio (unless someone knows how I might be able to watch it in Italy?). As long as we win it - i can handle not being there or even be able to watch.

    It feels like a long time since we've won a major trophy, but I hope this year is it. I think the team, the coach and the club's efforts over the past couple of years deserve some success. A lot can happen now we're getting to the business end. It would taste very sweet to win the treble!

  21. #21
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    321
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    I think form largely goes out the window in a cup final. On form I would take us to win it in a a close contest - but given it's the first time we've been to Wembley in a decade and Warrington have been there on a few occasions in that period - it feels like a 50:50 game, which will make it a nerve-wracking experience.

    Who knows how it will go on the day - but the team that manages the game and occasion the best I feel will win. Hopefully a good contest without a piece of luck or a bad decision not being the deciding factor.

    Bad planning on my part means I will be away and will probably have to listen on the radio (unless someone knows how I might be able to watch it in Italy?). As long as we win it - i can handle not being there or even be able to watch.

    It feels like a long time since we've won a major trophy, but I hope this year is it. I think the team, the coach and the club's efforts over the past couple of years deserve some success. A lot can happen now we're getting to the business end. It would taste very sweet to win the treble!
    I player or bbc sport app if you have a tablet and wi fi where you are

  22. #22
    Learning All The Songs Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,246
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    I player or bbc sport app if you have a tablet and wi fi where you are
    Also need a VPN outside the UK I think.

  23. #23
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Wire fan in peace. I'm really looking forward to this one. As much as anything else, a Wire v Saints final has been the only thing missing since our researgence 10 or so years ago, and of course, still no blinking GF. The only thing is from a Wire point of view, is that it's probably the worst time to play you. I have to say, with Coote back, you look the real deal and a fair distance above us and other sides. I think we'll be competitive, but without torrential rain and a hurricane, I can't unfortunately see past yourselves.

    Anyhow, I'm sure it'll be a great rl spectacle. Two very good sides and rivals going toe to toe, with a backdrop of two well supported sides. Really looking forward to it.

  24. #24
    Upside
    Non Members

    Default

    I think last nights game could unite wire, could help them in some ways despite losing players

  25. #25
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,793
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I think last nights game could unite wire, could help them in some ways despite losing players
    Not sure they might go softly softly if they have injuries and suspensions before the cup final, thats why I want the Saints to go for the jugular on Thursday and break them rather than unite them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •