Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Wakefield

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Good to see Taia back, think he's been missed more than people would have expected. Our left edge has certainly been less effective. Welsby and Smith/Bentley to miss out depending on what cover Holbrook wants on the bench.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m hoping Hull beat The Goons, Catalans beat Dire and we beat Wakey. Then next week they can handover the LLS at the HJ whilst Dire go down into 3rd place.
    Sounds like a plan to me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Good to see Taia back, think he's been missed more than people would have expected. Our left edge has certainly been less effective. Welsby and Smith/Bentley to miss out depending on what cover Holbrook wants on the bench.
    For me, Smith is now behind Bentley.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Agreed, Saints need only to think back to 1989 to appreciate the risks of putting a young, largely untried player at fullback in a cup final.
    It was a long journey home after that game.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Certainly was... though that whole occasion cemented my belonging as a Saints fan. From the queuing up round the block for tickets at Knowsley Road to the long train home to St Helens Central on the evening of the final. (anyone remember the Wiganer who was the spit of Eddie the Eagle on the opposite Wembley platform? Happy memories!) I've never looked back since! "Saints until I die...."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Mine seemed very quick - I passed out pretty much as soon as my bum landed on the train seat.

Memories of the game itself are sketchy. I remember Connolly dropping that hoof downfield early on, and I remember Dean Bellend nearly taking someone's (Quirk's?) head off and the ref shrugging his shoulders. Unsurprisingly, I've never watched the game back since.

Got A Replica Shirt

Be interesting to see if Zeb starts tonight or comes back into the fold from a bench spot.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I’d prefer Swift or Makinson at fullback.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Welsby full back tonight - Mrs Lomax gave birth today. Glad the baby wasn’t three weeks overdue!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Agreed, Saints need only to think back to 1989 to appreciate the risks of putting a young, largely untried player at fullback in a cup final.
    Agree with you on inexperience but in 1989 Connolly was exceptional at Station Rd in the early rounds and in the semi-final. All through the rounds he was home with his friends during the days before the matches, for the final it changed as they were brought down early and had nothing to do but fret. Heard a story that in the tunnel Hanley had a word with Connolly to watch out for yourself when the high bombs go up, none of our lads put it up to Hanley then, O Connor did nothing and Vautin lardly laid a hand on Hanley all game.
    Hanley was one of the greats but he would not have got away with the tunnel talk with Chris Arkwright playing.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Agree with you on inexperience but in 1989 Connolly was exceptional at Station Rd in the early rounds and in the semi-final. All through the rounds he was home with his friends during the days before the matches, for the final it changed as they were brought down early and had nothing to do but fret. Heard a story that in the tunnel Hanley had a word with Connolly to watch out for yourself when the high bombs go up, none of our lads put it up to Hanley then, O Connor did nothing and Vautin lardly laid a hand on Hanley all game.
    Hanley was one of the greats but he would not have got away with the tunnel talk with Chris Arkwright playing.
    The whole build up was a mess, they arrived at the ground late and couldn't do the usual tour of fans before the game, they had to rush to get changed

I think Connolly was very good in some of the games building up, but still looked very young and surely people realised it was a risk with someone so young. I think he had been good but not entirely developed, the final was a year to soon imo

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    The whole build up was a mess, they arrived at the ground late and couldn't do the usual tour of fans before the game, they had to rush to get changed

I think Connolly was very good in some of the games building up, but still looked very young and surely people realised it was a risk with someone so young. I think he had been good but not entirely developed, the final was a year to soon imo
    I haven't watched it back but I was told if you watch the build up he never actually touched the ball until that kick. I know warming up wasn't much of a thing back then but he just wandered around on his own until kick off

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Perhaps Upside but I thought he had done enough the previous five months to earn his place on merit. Alex Murphy should have known better in the build up and game day that he needed guidance, the only positive (not to our benefit for long) was it built his character to become one of the best players we have produced. Never saw Keiron at a young age week in / out live apart from the few TV games, but I always thought Gary Connolly was the best young`un I ever saw.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Welsby full back tonight - Mrs Lomax gave birth today. Glad the baby wasn’t three weeks overdue!
    Thought Jack did OK today, looks as though he's been in the weights room and put on a bit more muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thought Jack did OK today, looks as though he's been in the weights room and put on a bit more muscle.
    I did too. Pretty solid and made a few nice runs and interjections into the line.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Perhaps Upside but I thought he had done enough the previous five months to earn his place on merit. Alex Murphy should have known better in the build up and game day that he needed guidance, the only positive (not to our benefit for long) was it built his character to become one of the best players we have produced. Never saw Keiron at a young age week in / out live apart from the few TV games, but I always thought Gary Connolly was the best young`un I ever saw.
    Yes, Murphy got that one all wrong, the whole final was a mess. Someone who was in the squad but didn't get selected was a close friend and I was amazed even back then how farce it was

Thought Danny R was doing his best to make sure Welsby had some good opportunities - once in the first half when he broke through and passed to Fages who slipped - was a great move. Second half a similar situation closer to the Wakefield line but this time Welsby kicked to the corner rather than pass or really go for it.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Thought Danny R was doing his best to make sure Welsby had some good opportunities - once in the first half when he broke through and passed to Fages who slipped - was a great move. Second half a similar situation closer to the Wakefield line but this time Welsby kicked to the corner rather than pass or really go for it.

Thought Danny did some decent things but still made some average decisions and average plays

Don't think Welsby is any bigger than before, just settling into the role, be patient and he will improve he is a great player

Got A Season Ticket

Thought Danny did some decent things but still made some average decisions and average plays

Don't think Welsby is any bigger than before, just settling into the role, be patient and he will improve he is a great player
    Danny Richardson was my man of the match strange decision to award it to Tommo? Theo was average and missed a few chances to put players in who were steaming into gaps but all in all not a bad performance from the team ….. Percival is in serious need of a sat nav system though

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Danny Richardson was my man of the match strange decision to award it to Tommo? Theo was average and missed a few chances to put players in who were steaming into gaps but all in all not a bad performance from the team ….. Percival is in serious need of a sat nav system though

Danny did well, but I wouldn't have him MoM IMO, to many average plays and decisions.

I think Theo pits himelsf in those difficult positions and takes it to the line, standing were he does he doesn't always get the time, but an important role all the same, as such I cut him a little more slack

Got A Season Ticket

Danny did well, but I wouldn't have him MoM IMO, to many average plays and decisions.

I think Theo pits himelsf in those difficult positions and takes it to the line, standing were he does he doesn't always get the time, but an important role all the same, as such I cut him a little more slack
    A try and five goals isn't bad for a kid who makes average plays must admit I am not a huge fan of DR but he was an improvement last night,
    and I will always applaud improvement in a young player

Upside
    Non Members

A try and five goals isn't bad for a kid who makes average plays must admit I am not a huge fan of DR but he was an improvement last night,
    Yes I'm happy to see improvement and not knocking him

If he is the goal kicker then he is bound to get more goals than someone who doesn't kick

He took his try well

Scoring 1 and kicking 5 doesn't mean he didn't make average plays, his in field kicking isn't consistent and something that is one of his best assets

Default 19 man squad v Wakefield

Both Percy and Thommo were outstanding IMO.

Richardson had one of his better games. He seems to have calmed down a little bit although there was one Richardson last-tackle special. I’d like to see him take the ball towards the defensive line before passing, though. He tends to run sideways before passing, which means we end up with players catching the ball standing still and we also end up playing too laterally. Definitely an improvement last night but not MOM, I’d say.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Richardson did one excellent move signalled a high kick to Makinson on the last tackle and the Wakey players slid across, Richardson then cut back and we scored near the post the LMS try I think.

Percival far to selfish missed one opportunity to drop off a pass for a certain score, he made 2 passes last week and 2 passes last night.

In The South Stand

He was my M.O.M. last night. I've got to say though, where did they get the ref from? Appalling throughout. Very frustrating as Wakey were continually offside, making for a really scrappy game. Richardson showed pace, a willingness to take on the line, pretty good decision making, an excellent kicking from ball in hand to place kicks. The more time he gets on the pitch, the better he'll be. In contrast, Theo was bang average for mine.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    He was my M.O.M. last night. I've got to say though, where did they get the ref from? Appalling throughout. Very frustrating as Wakey were continually offside, making for a really scrappy game. Richardson showed pace, a willingness to take on the line, pretty good decision making, an excellent kicking from ball in hand to place kicks. The more time he gets on the pitch, the better he'll be. In contrast, Theo was bang average for mine.
    I think on BBC they said it was the ref's first game at SL level. Apparently in the same class as Percy at school.