Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 58

Thread: 19 man squad v Wakefield

  1. #26
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I know we are obviously going to win the LLS, but am I right in thinking if Wigan beat Hull tonight then we are mathematically guaranteed a top 2 finish?

  2. #27
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,512
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I know we are obviously going to win the LLS, but am I right in thinking if Wigan beat Hull tonight then we are mathematically guaranteed a top 2 finish?
    I,m hoping Hull beat The Goons, Catalans beat Dire and we beat Wakey. Then next week they can handover the LLS at the HJ whilst Dire go down into 3rd place.

  3. #28
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    236
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m hoping Hull beat The Goons, Catalans beat Dire and we beat Wakey. Then next week they can handover the LLS at the HJ whilst Dire go down into 3rd place.
    Sounds bloody good to me

  4. #29
    In The South Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,920
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Good to see Taia back, think he's been missed more than people would have expected. Our left edge has certainly been less effective. Welsby and Smith/Bentley to miss out depending on what cover Holbrook wants on the bench.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  5. #30
    Got A Season Ticket Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    440
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I,m hoping Hull beat The Goons, Catalans beat Dire and we beat Wakey. Then next week they can handover the LLS at the HJ whilst Dire go down into 3rd place.
    Sounds like a plan to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Good to see Taia back, think he's been missed more than people would have expected. Our left edge has certainly been less effective. Welsby and Smith/Bentley to miss out depending on what cover Holbrook wants on the bench.
    For me, Smith is now behind Bentley.

  6. #31
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,480
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Agreed, Saints need only to think back to 1989 to appreciate the risks of putting a young, largely untried player at fullback in a cup final.
    It was a long journey home after that game.

  7. #32
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    It was a long journey home after that game.
    Certainly was... though that whole occasion cemented my belonging as a Saints fan. From the queuing up round the block for tickets at Knowsley Road to the long train home to St Helens Central on the evening of the final. (anyone remember the Wiganer who was the spit of Eddie the Eagle on the opposite Wembley platform? Happy memories!) I've never looked back since! "Saints until I die...."

  8. #33
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Refugee from the fascist state of RLFans
    Posts
    3,308
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    It was a long journey home after that game.
    Mine seemed very quick - I passed out pretty much as soon as my bum landed on the train seat.

    Memories of the game itself are sketchy. I remember Connolly dropping that hoof downfield early on, and I remember Dean Bellend nearly taking someone's (Quirk's?) head off and the ref shrugging his shoulders. Unsurprisingly, I've never watched the game back since.
    I f*cking hate wi*an.

  9. #34
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Be interesting to see if Zeb starts tonight or comes back into the fold from a bench spot.

  10. #35
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    9,427
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Id prefer Swift or Makinson at fullback.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  11. #36
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    3,929
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Welsby full back tonight - Mrs Lomax gave birth today. Glad the baby wasnt three weeks overdue!

  12. #37
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    713
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Agreed, Saints need only to think back to 1989 to appreciate the risks of putting a young, largely untried player at fullback in a cup final.
    Agree with you on inexperience but in 1989 Connolly was exceptional at Station Rd in the early rounds and in the semi-final. All through the rounds he was home with his friends during the days before the matches, for the final it changed as they were brought down early and had nothing to do but fret. Heard a story that in the tunnel Hanley had a word with Connolly to watch out for yourself when the high bombs go up, none of our lads put it up to Hanley then, O Connor did nothing and Vautin lardly laid a hand on Hanley all game.
    Hanley was one of the greats but he would not have got away with the tunnel talk with Chris Arkwright playing.

  13. #38
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Agree with you on inexperience but in 1989 Connolly was exceptional at Station Rd in the early rounds and in the semi-final. All through the rounds he was home with his friends during the days before the matches, for the final it changed as they were brought down early and had nothing to do but fret. Heard a story that in the tunnel Hanley had a word with Connolly to watch out for yourself when the high bombs go up, none of our lads put it up to Hanley then, O Connor did nothing and Vautin lardly laid a hand on Hanley all game.
    Hanley was one of the greats but he would not have got away with the tunnel talk with Chris Arkwright playing.
    The whole build up was a mess, they arrived at the ground late and couldn't do the usual tour of fans before the game, they had to rush to get changed

    I think Connolly was very good in some of the games building up, but still looked very young and surely people realised it was a risk with someone so young. I think he had been good but not entirely developed, the final was a year to soon imo

  14. #39
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    10,661
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    The whole build up was a mess, they arrived at the ground late and couldn't do the usual tour of fans before the game, they had to rush to get changed

    I think Connolly was very good in some of the games building up, but still looked very young and surely people realised it was a risk with someone so young. I think he had been good but not entirely developed, the final was a year to soon imo
    I haven't watched it back but I was told if you watch the build up he never actually touched the ball until that kick. I know warming up wasn't much of a thing back then but he just wandered around on his own until kick off

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  15. #40
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    713
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    The whole build up was a mess, they arrived at the ground late and couldn't do the usual tour of fans before the game, they had to rush to get changed

    I think Connolly was very good in some of the games building up, but still looked very young and surely people realised it was a risk with someone so young. I think he had been good but not entirely developed, the final was a year to soon imo
    Perhaps Upside but I thought he had done enough the previous five months to earn his place on merit. Alex Murphy should have known better in the build up and game day that he needed guidance, the only positive (not to our benefit for long) was it built his character to become one of the best players we have produced. Never saw Keiron at a young age week in / out live apart from the few TV games, but I always thought Gary Connolly was the best young`un I ever saw.

  16. #41
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,512
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Welsby full back tonight - Mrs Lomax gave birth today. Glad the baby wasn’t three weeks overdue!
    Thought Jack did OK today, looks as though he's been in the weights room and put on a bit more muscle.

  17. #42
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,880
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Thought Jack did OK today, looks as though he's been in the weights room and put on a bit more muscle.
    I did too. Pretty solid and made a few nice runs and interjections into the line.

  18. #43
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Perhaps Upside but I thought he had done enough the previous five months to earn his place on merit. Alex Murphy should have known better in the build up and game day that he needed guidance, the only positive (not to our benefit for long) was it built his character to become one of the best players we have produced. Never saw Keiron at a young age week in / out live apart from the few TV games, but I always thought Gary Connolly was the best young`un I ever saw.
    Yes, Murphy got that one all wrong, the whole final was a mess. Someone who was in the squad but didn't get selected was a close friend and I was amazed even back then how farce it was

  19. #44
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    3,929
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Thought Danny R was doing his best to make sure Welsby had some good opportunities - once in the first half when he broke through and passed to Fages who slipped - was a great move. Second half a similar situation closer to the Wakefield line but this time Welsby kicked to the corner rather than pass or really go for it.

  20. #45
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Thought Danny R was doing his best to make sure Welsby had some good opportunities - once in the first half when he broke through and passed to Fages who slipped - was a great move. Second half a similar situation closer to the Wakefield line but this time Welsby kicked to the corner rather than pass or really go for it.

    Thought Danny did some decent things but still made some average decisions and average plays

    Don't think Welsby is any bigger than before, just settling into the role, be patient and he will improve he is a great player

  21. #46
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Thought Danny did some decent things but still made some average decisions and average plays

    Don't think Welsby is any bigger than before, just settling into the role, be patient and he will improve he is a great player
    Danny Richardson was my man of the match strange decision to award it to Tommo? Theo was average and missed a few chances to put players in who were steaming into gaps but all in all not a bad performance from the team .. Percival is in serious need of a sat nav system though

  22. #47
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Danny Richardson was my man of the match strange decision to award it to Tommo? Theo was average and missed a few chances to put players in who were steaming into gaps but all in all not a bad performance from the team ….. Percival is in serious need of a sat nav system though

    Danny did well, but I wouldn't have him MoM IMO, to many average plays and decisions.

    I think Theo pits himelsf in those difficult positions and takes it to the line, standing were he does he doesn't always get the time, but an important role all the same, as such I cut him a little more slack

  23. #48
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Danny did well, but I wouldn't have him MoM IMO, to many average plays and decisions.

    I think Theo pits himelsf in those difficult positions and takes it to the line, standing were he does he doesn't always get the time, but an important role all the same, as such I cut him a little more slack
    A try and five goals isn't bad for a kid who makes average plays must admit I am not a huge fan of DR but he was an improvement last night,
    and I will always applaud improvement in a young player

  24. #49
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,898
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    A try and five goals isn't bad for a kid who makes average plays must admit I am not a huge fan of DR but he was an improvement last night,
    and I will always applaud improvement in a young player
    Yes I'm happy to see improvement and not knocking him

    If he is the goal kicker then he is bound to get more goals than someone who doesn't kick

    He took his try well

    Scoring 1 and kicking 5 doesn't mean he didn't make average plays, his in field kicking isn't consistent and something that is one of his best assets

  25. #50
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,657
    Rep Power
    20

    Default 19 man squad v Wakefield

    Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Danny Richardson was my man of the match strange decision to award it to Tommo? Theo was average and missed a few chances to put players in who were steaming into gaps but all in all not a bad performance from the team .. Percival is in serious need of a sat nav system though
    Both Percy and Thommo were outstanding IMO.

    Richardson had one of his better games. He seems to have calmed down a little bit although there was one Richardson last-tackle special. Id like to see him take the ball towards the defensive line before passing, though. He tends to run sideways before passing, which means we end up with players catching the ball standing still and we also end up playing too laterally. Definitely an improvement last night but not MOM, Id say.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •