Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42

Thread: Does JH need to win a trophy?

  1. #26
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Blatherings on WA12RL radio.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service
    Posts
    8,085
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    It would be great if he did win something but ,for me,he has given us 'the Saints' back and I love the guy for that. I remember seriously considering jacking in my season ticket a couple of years ago.
    Learned comment from The Don

  2. #27
    In The South Stand The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Harrogate
    Age
    28
    Posts
    4,942
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Completely turned the mentality of the club round and made us into a top team again. That, more than anything, got him an NRL gig. In any sport though if you've been clearly the best team for 2 years in a row and don't come away with any of the major trophies it is deemed a failure. As nice as it would be to win the challenge cup we have to win the grand final this year for the season to be deemed a success.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

  3. #28
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Completely turned the mentality of the club round and made us into a top team again. That, more than anything, got him an NRL gig. In any sport though if you've been clearly the best team for 2 years in a row and don't come away with any of the major trophies it is deemed a failure. As nice as it would be to win the challenge cup we have to win the grand final this year for the season to be deemed a success.
    Spot on,,, to win the cc would be great as its an historic competition but the grand final is by far a better measure of a teams consistency and ability

  4. #29
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    787
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Completely turned the mentality of the club round and made us into a top team again. That, more than anything, got him an NRL gig. In any sport though if you've been clearly the best team for 2 years in a row and don't come away with any of the major trophies it is deemed a failure. As nice as it would be to win the challenge cup we have to win the grand final this year for the season to be deemed a success.
    Exactly and this team still has it all to prove in terms of showing it can handle the big occasions

    Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

  5. #30
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    under the laughing tree
    Posts
    955
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    He doesnt have to for me. Itd be really disappointing if he left the club without a CC or GF victory, but he has made watching Saints enjoyable again.

  6. #31
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    It would be great if he did win something but ,for me,he has given us 'the Saints' back and I love the guy for that. I remember seriously considering jacking in my season ticket a couple of years ago.
    Agree, he has altered the direction of the club, steered us in the right direction, he has earned his money

    If he wins anything else it's a bonus IMO

  7. #32
    Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    If wire lose today have we won the league leaders sheild?

  8. #33
    In The South Stand saintgeorge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    eccleston
    Posts
    3,966
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Funniest thing was when MacIlorum ripped off Chris Hills headgear - and then his reaction

  9. #34
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Newport, Shropshire
    Posts
    1,417
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Spot on,,, to win the cc would be great as its an historic competition but the grand final is by far a better measure of a teams consistency and ability
    I think that’s arguable. They are both knockout cup competitions. One is open to all teams and to surprises. The other is open to the top teams with, this year, a built in bias in favour of the top two.

    The Challenge Cup is usually but not always, played in good conditions for skilful rugby whereas the Grand Final is sometimes played in more difficult conditions and on a tricky pitch with a short in goal, which is not ideal. I think it’s all down to perceptions but for the participating Super League teams they are both knock out competitions.

    In reality, the LLS is the reward for playing well for the rest of the season although, under the current system, we will have a big advantage in the knockout stages.

    Justin Holbrook has been a breath of fresh air and I think the fact that he has got us away from the grind and playing entertaining rugby is the key thing. However, from his own point of view, he needs to win the CC or GF to prove that he is a top class coach. The treble would be brilliant.

    I’m extraordinarily sad that he’s leaving and I hope for his sake that he isn’t making a mistake. He has made me smile and from what I can see from a distance he’s not just been good for the club but also for the town. He seems to be a genuinely nice bloke.

  10. #35
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    728
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I agree with comments made about JH and what difference he has made to the team, the club (and maybe even the town) since his arrival - all positive and it will be a shame to lose him as coach as he has brought so much. I do feel to win at least one of CC or SL trophies are needed for him to cement some kind of status as a successful coach - especially as memories fade, but the record is more obvious.

    I think he has a harder gig at Gold Coast especially with only an initial 2 years - and if he achieves something there in that time, he will be in much demand I would think across the NRL. If he isn't so successful at GC, where will that leave him? Who knows what will happen at Saints in that time - but I wonder if people at Saints (the club and fans) would welcome him back? It's quite rare for coaches to come back to a team.

  11. #36
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Haydock
    Posts
    426
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    If wire lose today have we won the league leaders sheild?
    Yes. Only 5 games left and well be 12 points clear.

  12. #37
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    787
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    I agree with comments made about JH and what difference he has made to the team, the club (and maybe even the town) since his arrival - all positive and it will be a shame to lose him as coach as he has brought so much. I do feel to win at least one of CC or SL trophies are needed for him to cement some kind of status as a successful coach - especially as memories fade, but the record is more obvious.

    I think he has a harder gig at Gold Coast especially with only an initial 2 years - and if he achieves something there in that time, he will be in much demand I would think across the NRL. If he isn't so successful at GC, where will that leave him? Who knows what will happen at Saints in that time - but I wonder if people at Saints (the club and fans) would welcome him back? It's quite rare for coaches to come back to a team.
    Regardless of what happens this season he will always be welcomed back in my book

    Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

  13. #38
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    996
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    One out of three! Mission accomplished!

  14. #39
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    728
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    One out of three! Mission accomplished!
    Will be interesting to see how JH manages the team from here on in. This run in to the end of the season he has the potential to learn a lot about big game mentality and how to achieve success on the pitch in crucial matches and in terms of silverware... I'm just hoping he learns from successes rather than mistakes.

    We haven't quite managed to get over the line the last two seasons in the big matches and I hope JH and the team has learned enough from that to earn the big results and come out on top. They've certainly learned how to be consistently the best over a sustained period - but these months will be the difference in being almost there again and becoming a champion team! COYS!

  15. #40
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,612
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Christopher View Post
    Will be interesting to see how JH manages the team from here on in. This run in to the end of the season he has the potential to learn a lot about big game mentality and how to achieve success on the pitch in crucial matches and in terms of silverware... I'm just hoping he learns from successes rather than mistakes.

    We haven't quite managed to get over the line the last two seasons in the big matches and I hope JH and the team has learned enough from that to earn the big results and come out on top. They've certainly learned how to be consistently the best over a sustained period - but these months will be the difference in being almost there again and becoming a champion team! COYS!
    We need to get our attacking structures a lot better in this end of season build up, we have been disrupted in that department with rotations and injuries. You could say we are winning games based on our solid defence, I would like to see more attacking shapes and set up plays but we can't do that at the moment with consistency because the team selection is continually changing. Hopefully we can strengthen the team over the last 8 or 9 games.

  16. #41
    Starting A Programme Collection The frenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Crank caverns
    Posts
    868
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We need to get our attacking structures a lot better in this end of season build up, we have been disrupted in that department with rotations and injuries. You could say we are winning games based on our solid defence, I would like to see more attacking shapes and set up plays but we can't do that at the moment with consistency because the team selection is continually changing. Hopefully we can strengthen the team over the last 8 or 9 games.
    You can't have it both ways though. People criticized Holbrook last year for not rotating, players playing through injury and limping into the playoffs.

    I prefer it this way tbh. Get everyone back for Leeds or the cup final and throw everything at it. Then regroup again for the playoffs.

  17. #42
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,793
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Definitely need to win one at least. If Saints win the cup and then lose to Wigan @ Old Trafford it would ruin the season.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •