Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hawkeye

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Meninga View Post
    I think the forward pass is based on the instantaneous acceleration of the ball as it is passed, so if it is blown forward by the wind it is legal.

"BB]Ball is blown or bounces forward [/B]If the ball is passed correctly but bounces forward or is blown forward by the wind, there is no infringement and play should continue. (Extract from rules).

To me, this would have to be done in conjunction with TV footage because as a player runs the ball often moves backwards or forwards relative to the player because of the motion of his arms, that is: the ball is almost constantly accelerating or decelerating. To determine a forward pass, you would probably have to replay the footage along with the numbers, so if you stop at the frame where the pass occurs you can then determine if it was forward or not. It is a different argument as to whether or not it is worth the effort.

The idea of being able to detect offside at the PTB is, to me, are more exciting prospect. Let's face it, the sport needs to be rid the negative tactics that certain teams employ in order to slow down the game, and it seems that referees need some kind of assistance in this aspect of the game. 'Hawkeye' offside would force a correct 10m defensive line but would also then allow the referee more effectively to police the ruck. This should result in a faster, more attractive spectacle.
    But doesn't a ball accelerate when passed regardless of the direction it is passed in?

This sounds like a non-starter to me. Personally I'd prefer to accept that sometimes the officials get it wrong rather than adding further layers of officiation.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    But doesn't a ball accelerate when passed regardless of the direction it is passed in?

This sounds like a non-starter to me. Personally I'd prefer to accept that sometimes the officials get it wrong rather than adding further layers of officiation.
    Of course it does because it changes direction. A change in direction is a change in velocity and therefore an acceleration. As discussed above, It is the nature of the acceleration vector that determines whether the ball is forward. If the component of acceleration towards the opposition line is positive then the pass is forward (it has been pushed forward relative to the player). If zero then it is flat and if negative then it is backward. Remember this is relative to initial velocity of the ball instantaneously before it was passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Meninga View Post
    Of course it does because it changes direction. A change in direction is a change in velocity and therefore an acceleration. As discussed above, It is the nature of the acceleration vector that determines whether the ball is forward. If the component of acceleration towards the opposition line is positive then the pass is forward (it has been pushed forward relative to the player). If zero then it is flat and if negative then it is backward. Remember this is relative to initial velocity of the ball instantaneously before it was passed.
    I'll take your word for it