Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Coach for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    We told him we would be looking to the NRL should Holbrook leave, hence Long left.
    I hadn't heard anything but suspected it to be the case.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Any company of any size would have a succession plan in place. I would imagine that Saints have probably got a top 3, a second 3 etc. I would assume that weeks ago, they would have spoken to the clubs employing those on their list about the possibility of approaching employees.

I don't think Rush has just flown over there to start knocking on doors.
    Watching NRL this morning they mentioned Shane Flanagan will be front runner for the saints job he’s banned in oz but they said that wouldn’t affect him coaching in SL don’t know what people’s thoughts are on him ???

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    Watching NRL this morning they mentioned Shane Flanagan will be front runner for the saints job he’s banned in oz but they said that wouldn’t affect him coaching in SL don’t know what people’s thoughts are on him ???

Why is he banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Why is he banned
    He got a 12-month suspension back in 2013-14 for involvement in players at Cronulla taking illegal supplements. Then last year it was uncovered that during his period of suspension he had been essentially working for the club behind the scenes (advising on recruitment, etc) and he got an indefinite ban for that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BbrookTM View Post
    I'm not sure on Flanagan. His working for the club when banned doesn't bother me but his involvement with steroids is not good on a CV. I think I would prefer someone younger that is eager to prove there worth as a head coach.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 1st August 2019 at 18:28.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    He got a 12-month suspension back in 2013-14 for involvement in players at Cronulla taking illegal supplements. Then last year it was uncovered that during his period of suspension he had been essentially working for the club behind the scenes (advising on recruitment, etc) and he got an indefinite ban for that.

Doesn't sit right with me, we don't need that baggage

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Doesn't sit right with me, we don't need that baggage
    Sounds like the perfect successor to Adrian Lam when he eventually gets the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm not sure on Flanagan. His working for the club when banned doesn't bother me but his involvement with steroids is not good on a CV. I think I would prefer someone younger that is eager to prove there worth as a head coach.
    Have heard he is a good coach, but know nothing of him personally. Regards to past..We took Barba on. But the steroid stuff does not sit well with me either.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    Mourinho, he could finally take all his luggage out of the Lowry Hotel and move into the Chalon Court, far cheaper room prices. He would really feel at home in St Helens and he could take advice from Cunningham on how to coach the players and keep supporters happy
    Mourinho would play with 12 full backs.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Have heard he is a good coach, but know nothing of him personally. Regards to past..We took Barba on. But the steroid stuff does not sit well with me either.
    I don't watch much NRL so only know what I have read about him. In some ways what Flanagan did may be worse than what Barba did. There has to be some premeditation with condoning/allowing players to take steroids. I just don't think we need that sort of baggage. With regard to his lifetime ban for working on recruitment when he was banned, I think he was hard done to.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 1st August 2019 at 20:42.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Im not keen on Flanagan. Even without his antics theirs just something about him im not keen on.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

I don’t think it was steroids they were on, at least that wasn’t the language at the time IIRC

Still cheating but it was something else, although steroids does tend to work as a catch-all for all illegal PEDs these days

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Im not keen on Flanagan. Even without his antics theirs just something about him im not keen on.
    I agree. I don't know what it is about him but I wouldn't want him at Saints

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    I don’t think it was steroids they were on, at least that wasn’t the language at the time IIRC

Still cheating but it was something else, although steroids does tend to work as a catch-all for all illegal PEDs these days
    Wasn’t peptides mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    Wasn’t peptides mentioned?
    It's a complicated issue but there were 3 major issues with Flanagan (2 before he was caught out and 1 after).

#1 The peptides drug saga: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cronul...pplements_saga
    #2 Salary Cap issues around that same time, which got self reported by the clubs new CEO.

Then #3 was getting caught liasing with the club despite being banned over the peptides saga, which earned him an indefinite suspension.

In short this has all clouded how much success he actually had as a coach, and some fans have been constantly wary of this.

I think you guys have the sort of roster that could work with rookie coaches (like O'Brien, Demetriou, Craig Fitzgibbon), or even an NRL coach thats had issues cracking back into NRL.

Someone like an Anthony Griffin, Geoff Toovey, or even a Kevin Moore.
    NOTE: Posts made on this account are personal opinions, and not the collective opinions of The Kennel nor it's memberbase.

Read this nonsense. A whole article based on someone guessing who Mike Rush will interview

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...564a61af520d14

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Read this nonsense. A whole article based on someone guessing who Mike Rush will interview

Just goes to show that alot of journalists have no more professional an approach to news or sports reporting than your average Internet forum poster.

Learning All The Songs

Anthony Griffin linked in that article; any good?

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/sha...-league-144524
    Interesting listen, we could be used as a stepping stone again.

If I remember rightly people felt like he was treated badly by Penrith when they got rid of him but Phil Gould said his coaching was old fashioned at the time.

I think he'd be a bit pig headed for us. Old school, set in his ways, inflexible - might get one good season before it all went wrong

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Two Wheeled Saint View Post
    https://www.triplem.com.au/story/sha...-league-144524
    Interesting listen, we could be used as a stepping stone again.
    I don't mind a promising coach from the NRL coming here, delivering success then moving onto a more plum NRL post.

The problem we've had is that our coaching recruitment has been iffy, especially post-Anderson, until Holbrook.

In fact, if we look at our coches from 96 onwards, there's an interesting pattern, which shows we've had most success when giving the role to young, promising coaches who have cut their coaching teeth as assistants in the NRL, and have had no 'tainting' by having coached in SL

McRae (first head coach position), Millward (had spent just 1 season with Championship Leigh) and Holbrook fit that criteria. Anderson was obviously a much more proven head coach, but still had had no experience of coaching in SL.

Even the one British coach we've had who has been a success in terms of silverware - Hanley - was in his first head coaching role.

In contrast, our failures have been Potter (learned his coaching at Bratfud under Elliot, coached Catalans); Simmons (51 y/o when he joined us, having previously been coach at Hull & Penrith); Cunningham (nothing to add...).

Brown is I guess an anomaly, given he previously head-coached St George and Huddersfield (although we won SL in 2014 through a combination of many factors falling into place for us along the way right up until Genkul Benneh Floower's red mist idiocy)

I think we're all a bit worried because we know that, after a period of poor-coach wilderness, we're back at the top of the tree and I guess we all realise getting the next appointment right isn't a foregone conclusion.

Noooobie

The Herald Sun reported today that apparently Shane Flanagan is favourite, with Anthony Griffin being considered. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...564a61af520d14
    Not that I would take their word for it
    Personally, although Flanagan is an NRL winning coach, who undoubtedly gets a group of players well motivated I don't think he would be the right fit for Saints.
    Griffin certainly wouldn't. Penrith had all the potential in the world and he took them no-where.
    As others have said we should to be looking at the next NRL coaches in waiting who are hungry to succeed but also a good fit for the culture of the club and the brand of rugby that Saints play.
    For me Demetriou or O'Brien would be the best fit for Saints.
    People have said that Demetriou working under Bennett is a bad thing but he also was an assistant under Paul Green when they won the NRL, coached the Illawarra Cutters to a premiership and has experience in England too.
    O'Brien would also be an excellent choice. Has done a solid apprenticeship under Craig Bellamy and this year under Trent Robinson.
    Ben and Shane Walker would also be very interesting as they have implemented an extremely attacking brand of rugby at the Ipswich Jets.
    Just my twopenneth worth

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
    The Herald Sun reported today that apparently Shane Flanagan is favourite, with Anthony Griffin being considered. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...564a61af520d14
    Not that I would take their word for it
    Personally, although Flanagan is an NRL winning coach, who undoubtedly gets a group of players well motivated I don't think he would be the right fit for Saints.
    Griffin certainly wouldn't. Penrith had all the potential in the world and he took them no-where.
    As others have said we should to be looking at the next NRL coaches in waiting who are hungry to succeed but also a good fit for the culture of the club and the brand of rugby that Saints play.
    For me Demetriou or O'Brien would be the best fit for Saints.
    People have said that Demetriou working under Bennett is a bad thing but he also was an assistant under Paul Green when they won the NRL, coached the Illawarra Cutters to a premiership and has experience in England too.
    O'Brien would also be an excellent choice. Has done a solid apprenticeship under Craig Bellamy and this year under Trent Robinson.
    Ben and Shane Walker would also be very interesting as they have implemented an extremely attacking brand of rugby at the Ipswich Jets.
    Just my twopenneth worth
    I think Rush has a good relationship with Phil Gould, who has advised us on signings in the past (including Coote, I think). I don't think Gould will have good things to say to Rush about Griffin.

I think after the Holbrook appointment I’ve got trust in the club to get the right man.