Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: New Coach for 2020

In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    The Gold Coast job will be a challenge for him IMO, if he gets off to a bad start and picks up a couple of injuries he could be up against it because he hasnít really experienced that before. Equally though if he pulls it off heíll be very well set. I think itís important for him that heís able to lift a couple of trophies over the next few months so that heís got a record of success and winning things behind him should things not work out for him next year.

In terms of what heís done at Saints, itís probably not the right time to judge him because heís got the biggest challenge in front of him. I think heís got some work to do with the players mentally. Physically and from a skill point of view, I think weíre brilliant but itís just the tactical side and how quickly the players are able to read the game and adapt to it that will determine what success we have this season. Thereís no doubt though that heís done some brilliant things for this club and a lot of the big decisions heís made have been good ones.
    A good well thought out post.

Watching an NRL discussion programme this morning and all the panel said JH is a good guy but all thought it was a bad fit with him and Titans. They sounded amazed his was even considered. Said he is not ready as they in a mess from top to bottom. Maybe the pull was going home as much as the coaching role.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Saint View Post
    Hearing Adam OíBrien the current Roosters assistant is the front runner. Used to be Craig Bellamyís number 2 at Melbourne.
    Is this a substantial rumour? Seems like a good fit, if true.

Learning All The Songs

As if Holbrook would leave before the end of the year. Literally no c hence.

And Coote isnít going anywhere either. Donít see any NRL teams crying out for him and heís got it pretty much made here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think the club will try and replicate what they did with Holbrook and try and find an up and coming assistant coach from the NRL.

Closer to home I wouldnít mind us giving Ian Watson a shot at it personally.
    Iím no expert but the idea that Watson would even be considered for Saints is IMO awful. To me he is a coach who can keep a poor team from relegation. I canít see anything in him that tells me he can coach a team with star players that demand success every year. TBH I canít think of any British coach who would be good enough at the moment. But itís just an opinion.

Mirror states Eamonn McManus has said Holbrook will see out his contract.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I’m no expert but the idea that Watson would even be considered for Saints is IMO awful. To me he is a coach who can keep a poor team from relegation. I can’t see anything in him that tells me he can coach a team with star players that demand success every year. TBH I can’t think of any British coach who would be good enough at the moment. But it’s just an opinion.
    I’ve seen a lot of people suggest Watson and I don’t understand why either. He’s done a decent job at Salford with limited resources but he’s done nothing, yet, to warrant the job a top club. I’d be very disappointed if we were to appoint him. There isn’t a single super league coach that is currently good enough which is why we’re supposedly going down the NRL assistant route again.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    I’ve seen a lot of people suggest Watson and I don’t understand why either. He’s done a decent job at Salford with limited resources but he’s done nothing, yet, to warrant the job a top club. I’d be very disappointed if we were to appoint him. There isn’t a single super league coach that is currently good enough which is why we’re supposedly going down the NRL assistant route again.
    I wouldn't say not good enough, I'd prefer to say not suited at this moment in time

I think there are some very good coaches, but I dont believe they fit into our journey, maybe Danny ward? But think it's to soon for him

I like Marshal, and I like Wellens, think they are as good as any other SL combo

But our best approach would be to look abroad for a Holbrook mold

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

The problem with the internet is that someone asks a question, which is then translated into an opinion, which then becomes a statement and ends up as a statement of fact.

Justin is expected to take up his role at Gold Coast at the end of our season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/49156636

You're probably correct unfortunately regarding British coaches.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I’m no expert but the idea that Watson would even be considered for Saints is IMO awful. To me he is a coach who can keep a poor team from relegation. I can’t see anything in him that tells me he can coach a team with star players that demand success every year. TBH I can’t think of any British coach who would be good enough at the moment. But it’s just an opinion.

Ian Millward was in charge of a 2nd division team and a relative unknown and we hired him
    Ellery Hanley another individual with little to no coaching record
    Justin Morgan in charge of the juniors in the NRL but little head coach experience

Ian Watson may not be the man, but his experience and level of success is far in excess of those coaches before they took the reigns

Not sure about Daniel Anderson - but he certainly did not have much joy after leaving Saints.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

And somebody must see something in him with him being selected to be part of the GB set up.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Not looking back through the thread , has anyone mentioned Brian McDermott ?.
    Last edited by roy litherland; 30th July 2019 at 13:40.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Not looking back through the thread , has anyone mentioned Brian McDermott ?.
    Yes I believe earlier in the thread, but donít think it was anything to do with Holbrook leaving, someone had just saw him at Saints ground signing some documents or something.

Got A Season Ticket

Just had a Wigan fan and a Castleford fan message me on Facebook saying our season is now going to collapse like a house of cards now holbrook is leaving,,,, they obviously have a good sense of humour

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Just had a Wigan fan and a Castleford fan message me on Facebook saying our season is now going to collapse like a house of cards now holbrook is leaving,,,, they obviously have a good sense of humour
    That wasn't the result for Wigan last year

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Which is exactly what I posted back,,,,, the players will bust their guts to send him home with trophies

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Yes I believe earlier in the thread, but don’t think it was anything to do with Holbrook leaving, someone had just saw him at Saints ground signing some documents or something.
    Yes he jumped out of a taxi and Holbrook jumped into it , with Mc Dermott saying thanks mate.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar

I need a change.

I'm up for taking the role
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

Learning All The Songs

Mirror states Eamonn McManus has said Holbrook will see out his contract.
    Mirror stated Eamonn McManus said Barba would see out his contract

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by forward ref View Post
    Mirror stated Eamonn McManus said Barba would see out his contract
    Yeah but Barba had over a year left on his contract. Holbrook doesn't.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Quite a different situation though. Wane had been in a coaching position at Wigan for about 15 years. The majority of those players had been with him for a long time. Also there were three players leaving. The Saints players will want to win, but I don't think Holdbrook leaving will be their main motivation.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Quite a different situation though. Wane had been in a coaching position at Wigan for about 15 years. The majority of those players had been with him for a long time. Also there were three players leaving. The Saints players will want to win, but I don't think Holdbrook leaving will be their main motivation.
    It worked with Nathan Brown

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Agreed it is different but my post was n response to one saying our season will collapse, I dont think it will and could have used several examples

I don't think Holbrook leaving will be their only or main motivation, but it won't have the opposite affect and ensure we collapse

We will win or lose regardless

Starting A Programme Collection

Jason Demetriou is being touted as our next Coach