Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Coach for 2020

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by StillInTesco View Post
    Would be very happy with the Demetriou apointment. Sucess seems to follow him.
    I guess my views on him are unfairly tainted by his reputation as only a solid player. From all accounts he's a very well respected coach.

I may have dreamt this but I am sure someone told me that Sky had reported he's ruled himself out. Not that that means anything as their rumours are as credible as Dave Parker's.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    I guess my views on him are unfairly tainted by his reputation as only a solid player. From all accounts he's a very well respected coach.

I may have dreamt this but I am sure someone told me that Sky had reported he's ruled himself out. Not that that means anything as their rumours are as credible as Dave Parker's.
    Last week Jenna Brooks said Demetriou had told them that he saw his future as being in the NRL

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Last week Jenna Brooks said Demetriou had told them that he saw his future as being in the NRL
    As Holbrook probably did when he came to saints

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    It was reported that he'd move back to England for the right opportunity when he was linked with the Leeds job earlier in the season. I hope he does see Saints as a good opportunity.

It's hard to not be excited when you read up on his coaching career. He's achieved in every coaching role he's been in and he now assists Wayne Bennett. It's also interesting to note that he has previous experience coaching Lachlan Coote, as he was assistant manager at the Cowboys when they won the Premiership in 2015.

I've got to admit, I trust Love Rugby League over Sky sources.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

"for the right opportunity....." Wouldn't think any other SL Head Coach role would be better than Saints at present!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    "for the right opportunity....." Wouldn't think any other SL Head Coach role would be better than Saints at present!
    It could be a very tough role, JH will be a hell of an act to follow.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Even though they think David Fairleigh is called Darren?

It was reported that he'd move back to England for the right opportunity when he was linked with the Leeds job earlier in the season. I hope he does see Saints as a good opportunity.

It's hard to not be excited when you read up on his coaching career. He's achieved in every coaching role he's been in and he now assists Wayne Bennett. It's also interesting to note that he has previous experience coaching Lachlan Coote, as he was assistant manager at the Cowboys when they won the Premiership in 2015.

I don't know much about NRL assistants, but because we were linked with Demetriou after KC. I had a look at his CV as soon as Holbrook said he was going. As you say he has had lot's of success either at a lower level or as an assistant. I didn't know about the link with Coote. On paper you wouldn't think we could do much better than him if we get him.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    It could be a very tough role, JH will be a hell of an act to follow.

And so it should be mate!

We don't want or need a coach who doesn't think he can take the club forward.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Banned

I wouldn't count being Wayne Bennett's assistant as a 'plus'.

The way Bennett sets teams isn't great for entertainment.

Still, we might get to see Bentley get a regular place in the starting XIII. As a centre.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Even though they think David Fairleigh is called Darren?

Though I did silently think Jenna Brooks looked well for someone who had undergone gender surgery. That is until my daughter told me the Kardashians were American not Australian.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by webbo again View Post

still, we might get to see bentley get a regular place in the starting xiii. As a centre.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I wouldn't count being Wayne Bennett's assistant as a 'plus'.

The way Bennett sets teams isn't great for entertainment.

Still, we might get to see Bentley get a regular place in the starting XIII. As a centre.
    You can't read too much into that, he obviously has to follow Bennett as his assistant but it doesn't mean he won't have his own ideas. I doubt many could coach a game as dour as Bennett.

Got A Season Ticket

For anyone interedted, here's a video from when Northern Pride won the Queensland Cup with him at the helm.

https://youtu.be/lm50lDkcMFU

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

It's not Trent Barrett anyway, he's going back to his old job as assistant to Cleary at Penrith

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    It's not Trent Barrett anyway, he's going back to his old job as assistant to Cleary at Penrith

Thank the Lord for that.

Learning All The Songs

on the subject of JH , he has a massive task at Gold Coast next year. Another defeat today and rock bottom of the NRL

Learning All The Songs

I know this is going to sound obvious but we need the right coach, sometimes the best coach available isnt the right one, i do not want to see us going back to what happened when anderson left, the appointments of potter and simmons didn't seem to fit the culture of the club and the style of play we wanted to play. Even when we had brown (and won the league) it always seemed like we were not playing a st helens type of rugby, it was slow and far too methodical rather than being an attacking type of rugby, the less said about the cunningham years the better. What we have found under holbrook is the style and substance we had in the warly to mid 2000s. This is something we must try to keep, fans engage more with the style of rugby we know. Holbrook has brought this back we need the next coach to build on this, not to try and replace it.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    on the subject of JH , he has a massive task at Gold Coast next year. Another defeat today and rock bottom of the NRL
    I suppose when JH takes over there is only one way they can go as they can't go any further down.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint from Bury View Post
    I think people forget the mess that we were in when he came in. I know this is probably a bigger test for him but he can only take them one way.

I’m sure he will do a decent job there using the same principles he used here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Hes looked miserable in every press conference hes had since his announcement....has reality sunk in?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I know this is going to sound obvious but we need the right coach, sometimes the best coach available isnt the right one, i do not want to see us going back to what happened when anderson left, the appointments of potter and simmons didn't seem to fit the culture of the club and the style of play we wanted to play. Even when we had brown (and won the league) it always seemed like we were not playing a st helens type of rugby, it was slow and far too methodical rather than being an attacking type of rugby, the less said about the cunningham years the better. What we have found under holbrook is the style and substance we had in the warly to mid 2000s. This is something we must try to keep, fans engage more with the style of rugby we know. Holbrook has brought this back we need the next coach to build on this, not to try and replace it.
    If we haven't learned our lesson after Potter, Simmons and KC, I give up. Never a Brown fan either but he did deliver a GF.

Got A Season Ticket

Has anyone read the League Express today? They say they have an update on the hunt to replace Justin. Also says they can confirm one name who definitely won't be taking the job.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Has anyone read the League Express today? They say they have an update on the hunt to replace Justin. Also says they can confirm one name who definitely won't be taking the job.
    Apparently Jason Demetriou is out of the running.

Then in League Weekly it says that Todd Payton and Craig Hodges are now in the frame.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Apparently Jason Demetriou is out of the running.

Then in League Weekly it says that Todd Payton and Craig Hodges are now in the frame.
    Disappointed to hear that Demetriou has dropped out. The other two names don't fill me with confidence.