Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Coach for 2020

In The South Stand

Woolf really doesn't seem to have much of a CV to be honest. I'm not sure what he brings to the table, I hope they are doing enough research and not just going for any coach with NRL experience at any level.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Woolf really doesn't seem to have much of a CV to be honest. I'm not sure what he brings to the table, I hope they are doing enough research and not just going for any coach with NRL experience at any level.
    Very similar to Holbrook.

Learning All The Songs

Has a lot of experience coaching within youth setups apparently.

Got A Season Ticket

Does it have to be an Aussie ? I assume Ian Watson isn’t available / interested in the role.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Very similar to Holbrook.
    Really? Being trusted with the Australian youth teams and working as assistant to Trent Robinson were feathers in his cap. He was always highly rated and I remember reading at time how good a reputation he had before coming over here. Woolf just seems a complete nobody, with the best experience being 2 years as assistant to Griffin at the Broncos, where they both got sacked

Phil Gould didn't like Griffin at Penrith either, saying "Anthony is very old school, he likes to do everything himself. I think in the modern day age the head coach has got to rely on the expertise, knowledge and assistance". So I'm not sure working as his assistant is much of a plus point.

Woolf has also coached Tonga, but again I'm not sure how relevant that is really. They improved solely because friction with NZ made a few superstars play for Tonga and not NZ.

I'd say O'Brien has the best credentials from those listed so far, but seems the rumour is he isn't interested. Very important Rushy gets this right so we can build on Holbrook's work and not ruin it.

Got A Season Ticket

He is Nathan Browns assistant and Newcastle Knights, credited with turning their defence around this year. I imagine Brown has given a glowing reference for him.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    He is Nathan Browns assistant and Newcastle Knights, credited with turning their defence around this year. I imagine Brown has given a glowing reference for him.
    Interesting that the betting for the next coach appears to have been closed/removed this afternoon.

Banned

Seen Matty Smith in the Griffin on Saturday night, could just be a coincidence.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Coincidence being he’s from the area?

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Player/coach maybe?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Coincidence being he’s from the area?
    Really? Do you think so? Gee mister, you're soooooo smart.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KelCloset View Post
    They've lost 4 or 5 games in a row!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    They've lost 4 or 5 games in a row!

Like he says, turned it round, they were winning before

Got A Season Ticket

Phil Gould didn't like Griffin at Penrith either, saying "Anthony is very old school, he likes to do everything himself. I think in the modern day age the head coach has got to rely on the expertise, knowledge and assistance". So I'm not sure working as his assistant is much of a plus point.
    Oh, I don’t know. I learned huge amounts from ineffective bosses, and did not repeat their mistakes when it was my turn. I made my own, of course, but that’s a different story. In any case, JH has made such an impression on the club it’s very doubtful that we’d go for someone with an old-fashioned approach, as Cunningham’s was.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Like he says, turned it round, they were winning before

I can see Nathan Brown having to look for work in the near future.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    Does it have to be an Aussie ? I assume Ian Watson isn’t available / interested in the role.
    Really can't see us going with a British coach in the foreseeable future after the Cunningham fiasco.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    The fact that Watson is the "leading" British option tells you all you need to know about the current talent available over here. Unfortunately the demands of the club mean we can't wait for someone to learn on the job.

This is more important than Cunninghams replacement. Holbrook transformed the club but we'd have been happy with just getting some wins on the board, the only way was up. We need to continue the good work Holbrook started or the only other way is down.

Noooobie

We have to trust the powers that be at TWS in who they appoint to replace JH for 2020. I just hope who ever gets the job will be as good as JH. One thing is for sure the club is in a far better position than when JH took over from Cunningham. JH was very confident straight away with his team selection, especially with bringing Grace in for Swift in his second game at Wigan.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    We have to trust the powers that be at TWS in who they appoint to replace JH for 2020. I just hope who ever gets the job will be as good as JH. One thing is for sure the club is in a far better position than when JH took over from Cunningham. JH was very confident straight away with his team selection, especially with bringing Grace in for Swift in his second game at Wigan.
    Grace made his debut on Good Friday before Holbrook was appointed.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Grace made his debut on Good Friday before Holbrook was appointed.
    Yes thats right, it was Longy who took the shackles off and got them playing with attacking freedom, Peyroux was like a new player once that happened. From what I can remember Holbrook took a back seat until the game after the Magic Weekend.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes thats right, it was Longy who took the shackles off and got them playing with attacking freedom,
    Not just Long. Don't underestimate the role Derek Traynor played (and look at the success of our Academy system that he oversees)

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Yes thats right, it was Longy who took the shackles off and got them playing with attacking freedom, Peyroux was like a new player once that happened. From what I can remember Holbrook took a back seat until the game after the Magic Weekend.
    I think Wilkin said that Holbrook merely gave 3 simple messages to the side before the MW game against Hull - support the ball carrier, never get beaten on the inside shoulder and enjoy yourselves.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Not just Long. Don't underestimate the role Derek Traynor played (and look at the success of our Academy system that he oversees)
    I seem to remember Traynor was the spokesman with the constructive comments and left Long + Lol to apply the changes in playing structure. Joy to watch in that Wigoon derby game.

Got A Season Ticket

Got A Season Ticket

Would be very happy with the Demetriou apointment. Sucess seems to follow him.