Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: New Coach for 2020

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillInTesco View Post
    Disappointed to hear that Demetriou has dropped out. The other two names don't fill me with confidence.
    How do you know he dropped out?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by StillInTesco View Post
    Disappointed to hear that Demetriou has dropped out. The other two names don't fill me with confidence.
    Wouldn't Ian Watson at Salford be a better option then?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I hope we don’t get an Aussie for the sake of getting an Aussie. For every Daniel Anderson theirs a Rick Stone.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Wouldn't Ian Watson at Salford be a better option then?
    I'll caveat this comment by saying 'it's reported by Dave Parker' but League Weekly are citing Jason Ryles as the front runner with Fairleigh, O'Brien, Payton and Hodges also in the running.

Noooobie

I agree Ian Watson as done a Brilliant job for Salford What could he do with Saints.

Undecided about Watson. Is he genuinely a good coach or his he just a beneficiary of a poor league this season? Is a 14W / 12L record particularly impressive?

Learning All The Songs

It is given the circumstances he's been put under.

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Undecided about Watson. Is he genuinely a good coach or his he just a beneficiary of a poor league this season? Is a 14W / 12L record particularly impressive?
    Similarly Powell was flavour of the month a couple of years ago but does not seem to have kicked on.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

When you look at Watsons points difference, it is one of the few in the league with over net +100

Banned

It is when it's achieved on probably the second smallest budget in the League against a core support of about 2,500. I'd say that's over-achieving.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    It is when it's achieved on probably the second smallest budget in the League against a core support of about 2,500. I'd say that's over-achieving.
    He has overachieved, but I'm not sure that managing a struggling club well translates into managing a team to OT. I suppose if he doesn't get the chance we won't know.
    It does seem a bit of a concern the number of NRL assistants that seem to be distancing themselves from the job. I just hope we get someone that can continue the growth on and off the field, if they can do that I don't care about nationality.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    It is certainly an achievement - but how much is down to Watson? And could he replicate that at a big club where he's expected to win, and coaching a squad of predominantly internationals?

Basil did it brilliantly with us, but then car-crashed totally at piescumland.

Every appointment of a new coach/manager requires a big slice of luck, that they will take to the club, its players, the culture.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    It is certainly an achievement - but how much is down to Watson? And could he replicate that at a big club where he's expected to win, and coaching a squad of predominantly internationals?

Basil did it brilliantly with us, but then car-crashed totally at piescumland.

Every appointment of a new coach/manager requires a big slice of luck, that they will take to the club, its players, the culture.
    I agree its an important consideration if Watson's strength as a candidate for a job at St. Helens is concerned, but it is not relevant to Watson's record at Salford were he has consistently demonstrated he is a more than capable coach in challenging circumstances which is what the poster was questioning.
    Regarding Millward, I think that Wigan team at the time were consumed on themselves and didn't want to 'accept' Millward. Took the Wigan club a while to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post

I can see Nathan Brown having to look for work in the near future.

Thoughts? Would you have him back?

Personally I wouldn't even though he gave us the only grand final success for a while

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/api...d76c9785ef0b0b

In The South Stand

Personally I wouldn't even though he gave us the only grand final success for a while

No, we were poor under him for quite a while too. He wasn’t dealt a good hand playing staff wise but some of the rugby under him was painful.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Got A Season Ticket

Great achievement - likely to finish now at least 5 places above the 11th bookies were predicting Salford would finish at season start.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

I just hope we don’t rush into signing the wrong bloke. If nobody in Australia fits the bill we should give Marshall and Wellens the gig for 12 months. At least they will continue with Holbrooks methods and build on what he’s done instead of ripping everything up and starting from scratch. Worst case scenario we don’t win any trophies. We’ll still play the same brand of rugby and be a top team.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Not for me he took us away from our "Saints Style" of play and KC made that inheritance worse. I would have a guess that Brown's man management style is more restricted than Holbrook's open transparent methods.

Upside
    Non Members

Watson has been outstanding, he talks very well and comes across knowledgeable.

Why is this year a poor league season? People say that every year, a team runs away with it is proof of a poor season, next year teams being close will be the justification, absolute rubbish imo, there are many good players and I get fed up with people knocking these lads taking the field every week for our entertainment

I don't believe Watson is the right person for us, as good as he has been it doesn't automatically mean he will be good for us

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I wonder if the Australian assistants are not keen due to our position.

There is little for them to gain in taking over a top SL side. If they want to return to the NRL for a top job they need to prove themselves and taking over the best team in the competition will not do that.

Any success will be attributed to the platform laid by Justin. So are we more likely to get an assistant who has reached the end of what he can do in Australia and is looking for a more permanent appointment.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post

There is little for them to gain in taking over a top SL side. If they want to return to the NRL for a top job they need to prove themselves and taking over the best team in the competition will not do that.

Any success will be attributed to the platform laid by Justin. So are we more likely to get an assistant who has reached the end of what he can do in Australia and is looking for a more permanent appointment.

I'm not sure, I think it's still an attractive job

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Why is this year a poor league season? People say that every year, a team runs away with it is proof of a poor season, next year teams being close will be the justification, absolute rubbish imo, there are many good players and I get fed up with people knocking these lads taking the field every week for our entertainment

I don't believe Watson is the right person for us, as good as he has been it doesn't automatically mean he will be good for us
    For me it’s been a poor season because Leeds, Warrington, Wigan, Castleford, Catalans and Hull FC have all been absolutely terrible. It’s unusual for only one team to play well, there’s usually at least couple near the top performing week in, week out

This year we’ve only had Saints playing anywhere near to potential, making it a poor league. They’ve all got their various reasons for their under performance but there will be very few sets of supporters happy with league season this year

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post

Again how do we know they're not interested? People are reading far too much into micro snippets of information.

Edit.

I will agree though that the vacant position at Newcastle probably makes our task harder now

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

For me it’s been a poor season because Leeds, Warrington, Wigan, Castleford, Catalans and Hull FC have all been absolutely terrible. It’s unusual for only one team to play well, there’s usually at least couple near the top performing week in, week out

This year we’ve only had Saints playing anywhere near to potential, making it a poor league. They’ve all got their various reasons for their under performance but there will be very few sets of supporters happy with league season this year
    Part of that is because its been an injury ravaged season for most team 2 years on the trot. For Saints its looks as though our fitness and conditioning model is top notch, Holbrook went to America pre season and looked at the conditioning and player to fan relationships. he tweaked it into our structure and its paid huge dividends this year. Most other teams are still playing the power game instead of having athletic mobility, we adapted the substituting rule very well, our line speed has been consistently high this year whilst other clubs can only do it in short periods.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Part of that is because its been an injury ravaged season for most team 2 years on the trot. For Saints its looks as though our fitness and conditioning model is top notch, Holbrook went to America pre season and looked at the conditioning and player to fan relationships. he tweaked it into our structure and its paid huge dividends this year. Most other teams are still playing the power game instead of having athletic mobility, we adapted the substituting rule very well, our line speed has been consistently high this year whilst other clubs can only do it in short periods.
    You've hit the nail on the head there fitness conditioning able to keep the line speed high longer than any other team you've been way ahead of the other sides this season