Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: New Coach for 2020

Got A Season Ticket

From everything I have heard Ben and Shane Walker would be a great fit for St Helens, bit of a punt but so would any assistant coach.

Learning All The Songs

Surely it’s going to be someone who posts on here since this is where all greatest rugby brains of the world congregate. Maybe an online poll?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by St Willy View Post
    You don't think this is one of the other reasons Marshall was brought in? Head coach?

That would be terribly underwhelming, and we might as well have given Longy the gig.

In The South Stand

Default New Coach for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    So what's the difference between what you have outlined versus interviewing a young NRL assistant? Is that not a risk too? In many senses arguably more of a risk because they haven't had experience of head coaching.

I must say however, that the club got it so right with JH. He ticked every box when he came and the bar was also set low taking over KC. The situation is different now and expectation is high. One hell of an ask to find the right man to succeed after JH...
    The difference is one has experience of preparing a team for the highest level of club RL and the other doesn’t.

Only my opinion - I have been known to be wrong in the past!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Replica Shirt

One thing we're all forgetting is, how many of the current squad will he tempt back with him. I can see us being short of a fullback, a winger and a prop. There's a lot of revenue there and all should make it in Oz. I have my three in mind, any increase?.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Can't believe they haven't asked me I talk a really good game.
    They asked me but I told McManus to get Mal Meninga over here on a 12 month contract but Mike Rush is not sure about big Mal.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider View Post
    One thing we're all forgetting is, how many of the current squad will he tempt back with him. I can see us being short of a fullback, a winger and a prop. There's a lot of revenue there and all should make it in Oz. I have my three in mind, any increase?.
    All 3 are contracted to us for at least another 12 months though so we still hold the cards. The club aren’t going the roll over and let people walk away without us receiving a lot of money and/or having replacements lined up.

It’s going to be an interesting and challenging 2020 but I just want to enjoy 2019 for now and hopefully send Holbrook off as a treble winning coach.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    All 3 are contracted to us for at least another 12 months though so we still hold the cards. The club aren’t going the roll over and let people walk away without us receiving a lot of money and/or having replacements lined up.

It’s going to be an interesting and challenging 2020 but I just want to enjoy 2019 for now and hopefully send Holbrook off as a treble winning coach.
    Didn’t everyone predict the same thing in 2006 for nothing to come of it as well?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Quite

The club found Holbrook, the club replaced the irreplaceable by bringing in Coote, I’m sure we will find a solution to Holbrook leaving.

Let’s hope he leaves with the treble on his CV and sings the praises of the club to prospective recruits over in Oz.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by bostik bailey View Post
    surely it’s going to be someone who posts on here since this is where all greatest rugby brains of the world congregate. Maybe an online poll?

Learning All The Songs The Verminator's Avatar

Unfortunate for us but the longer it went after Easter without him signing a new contact, the more likely this outcome was. He's done a good job here, built an excellent squad that plays lovely rugby and has embraced the community. He will be a loss, but we've lost players and coaches in the past and we moved on, and we'll do so again.

Replacing him will be hard - if we're going Down Under then I trust the club to look for the same kind of coach with the same kind of brief - bring through the kids, play attractive rugby and compete for trophies. If we are looking British, I think that it's about Ian Watson's time. He has done a great job with a limited budget at Salford and he is thought of highly enough to be in the Great Britain setup.
    WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF POOR BEN FLOWER?!

Noooobie

I personally would follow a similar formula to the one that led the club to Justin Holbrook. Go out to Australia do some research/interviews and find a young, hungry coach.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    That would be terribly underwhelming, and we might as well have given Longy the gig.
    With Keiron as his assistant !!

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

There are plenty of players out there, he could line up any of the players in super league as he has seen the lot. Also if any players do leave then they obviously want to anyway and are better off going no matter who they are. None of them are prisoners.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Just hope he doesn’t take any of our youngsters with him. Half our team would get a game at Gold Coast the way they are shaping.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

The Gold Coast job will be a challenge for him IMO, if he gets off to a bad start and picks up a couple of injuries he could be up against it because he hasn’t really experienced that before. Equally though if he pulls it off he’ll be very well set. I think it’s important for him that he’s able to lift a couple of trophies over the next few months so that he’s got a record of success and winning things behind him should things not work out for him next year.

In terms of what he’s done at Saints, it’s probably not the right time to judge him because he’s got the biggest challenge in front of him. I think he’s got some work to do with the players mentally. Physically and from a skill point of view, I think we’re brilliant but it’s just the tactical side and how quickly the players are able to read the game and adapt to it that will determine what success we have this season. There’s no doubt though that he’s done some brilliant things for this club and a lot of the big decisions he’s made have been good ones.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

In The South Stand

Well there have been two mentions of the ones I would think off , Ian Watson as serviced his apprenticeship in England in the lower leagues and done well in what must have been tricky at times at Salford and players seem to like him , then also when Long left I thought it was very quick that Marshall came in instantly .

Learning All The Songs

Justin has taken on a tough job and we must wish him and his family well. Thanks for raising the bar Justin. For some reason I have admired the work of Simon Woolford at Huddersfield. I thought they where destined for the Championship but considering the limited resources there I feel he has been top class.

Upside
    Non Members

Don't think anyone is forgetting it, it's been mentioned numerous times, particularly on social media

It's all speculation, pure guess until there's more substance in any of it

Learning All The Songs

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I'm just thinking that with how quick we got him in after Longy. Maybe to learn the ropes with Holbrook for a smooth transition

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

I don’t want anyone who has the same tactics of a Kieron Cunningham. I wonder how many of our current squad will JH try to entice over to Gold Coast !.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lager View Post
    Ian Watson, Daryl Powell (taken Cas as far as he could) No body mentioned Danny Ward done a great job in that there London? Or go back to Oz.
    If we are only looking in SL I would give it to Smith.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    If we are only looking in SL I would give it to Smith.
    I would be happy with smith, my concern being his teams tend to lack structure which has been a big part of our dominance the last couple of years.

Watson might be worth a gamble but I trust in our recruitment process after Holbrook - it seems we went for the human being as much as the coach and it worked out for us.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    I would be happy with smith, my concern being his teams tend to lack structure which has been a big part of our dominance the last couple of years.

Watson might be worth a gamble but I trust in our recruitment process after Holbrook - it seems we went for the human being as much as the coach and it worked out for us.

According to the news we are looking for an Aussie anyway.