Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Coach for 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Learning All The Songs

Default New Coach for 2020

Not officially announced yet but it looks like Justin is leaving us this season to sign for Gold Coast. (good luck Justin)

Question: Who is available and who would you like?

Richard Marshall, Wello & Ian Talbot are all assistants this season could they step up?

Banned

Too soon for a thread like this, surely.

Learning All The Songs

No harm in the thread really. The ideal candidate for me would be Jason Demetriou. He looks to have the most impressive CV out of all the NRL assistants and is highly rated. Don’t get to be assistant to Wayne Bennett if you aren’t a good coach either. Not guaranteed he would come though. If not him I’d be going for Fairleigh or, even though very unrealistic, try and tempt Mal Meninga over.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    No harm in the thread really. The ideal candidate for me would be Jason Demetriou. He looks to have the most impressive CV out of all the NRL assistants and is highly rated. Don’t get to be assistant to Wayne Bennett if you aren’t a good coach either. Not guaranteed he would come though. If not him I’d be going for Fairleigh or, even though very unrealistic, try and tempt Mal Meninga over.
    I thought about Demetriou before we got Holbrook. He has a good record in lower grades in Australia, but his last two jobs have been assistant to Bennett. There is no doubting Bennett's record, but I would be a bit hesitant to appoint someone who may follow Bennet's style. EG. Second rows playing centre. He would need to know that our fans expect us to play to win rather than to not lose.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I thought about Demetriou before we got Holbrook. He has a good record in lower grades in Australia, but his last two jobs have been assistant to Bennett. There is no doubting Bennett's record, but I would be a bit hesitant to appoint someone who may follow Bennet's style. EG. Second rows playing centre. He would need to know that our fans expect us to play to win rather than to not lose.
    And if coaching that style of play isn't natural to him, then that brings its own dangers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I'm a bit gutted he's going. Feel quite sad about it.

I might listen to a bit of Enya when I get home
    Radiohead anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Bang on.

Got A Season Ticket Injury Crisis 2010's Avatar

Iv'e heard a rumour it's Daniel Anderson, must stress this is a rumour but looking on wikipedia it had this.

Daniel Anderson
    Australian coach
    Image result for Daniel Anderson RL Coach
    DescriptionDaniel Stewart Anderson is an Australian rugby league football coach. Anderson previously coached in Australia, New Zealand and England and is particularly noted for his work with the development of younger players. Anderson has signed for St Helens R.F.C. for the 2020 season after penning a 2 year deal. a Wikipedia
    Born: 3 May 1967 (age 52 years), Australia
    Education: Parramatta Marist High School
    Team coached: Parramatta Eels (Head coach, 2009–2010)
    Awards: BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award, Dally M Award Best Coach

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Not officially announced yet but it looks like Justin is leaving us this season to sign for Gold Coast. (good luck Justin)

Question: Who is available and who would you like?

Richard Marshall, Wello & Ian Talbot are all assistants this season could they step up?
    On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your own stupidity? 10 being taking a bath with a toaster.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your own stupidity? 10 being taking a bath with a toaster.
    What has he/she said that’s stupid?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

I think the club will try and replicate what they did with Holbrook and try and find an up and coming assistant coach from the NRL.

Closer to home I wouldn’t mind us giving Ian Watson a shot at it personally.

Got A Season Ticket

I'd like to see us give Watson a go. I also wouldn't mind a old head (for example, Tony Smith) giving Marshall/Wellens a few more years to develop.

Personally, I think we'll go down the Aussie assistant route again.

Banned

I have no idea why i keep thinking it and i have no inside info but Tony Smith keeps coming to mind.

Maybe because Marshall has come in and he only signed a 6 month contract at Hull KR?

Who ever comes in, they need to build on what Justin has done and keep the momentum. This team could dominate for the next 3 or 4 years if it stays together with the right coach.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think the club will try and replicate what they did with Holbrook and try and find an up and coming assistant coach from the NRL.

Closer to home I wouldn’t mind us giving Ian Watson a shot at it personally.
    I’m no expert but the idea that Watson would even be considered for Saints is IMO awful. To me he is a coach who can keep a poor team from relegation. I can’t see anything in him that tells me he can coach a team with star players that demand success every year. TBH I can’t think of any British coach who would be good enough at the moment. But it’s just an opinion.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Mirror states Eamonn McManus has said Holbrook will see out his contract.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    I’m no expert but the idea that Watson would even be considered for Saints is IMO awful. To me he is a coach who can keep a poor team from relegation. I can’t see anything in him that tells me he can coach a team with star players that demand success every year. TBH I can’t think of any British coach who would be good enough at the moment. But it’s just an opinion.
    I’ve seen a lot of people suggest Watson and I don’t understand why either. He’s done a decent job at Salford with limited resources but he’s done nothing, yet, to warrant the job a top club. I’d be very disappointed if we were to appoint him. There isn’t a single super league coach that is currently good enough which is why we’re supposedly going down the NRL assistant route again.

Banned

What has he/she said that’s stupid?
    Talking about a new coach before it's announced. I'm not sure why you don't see the stupidity in that.

Talking about a new coach before it's announced. I'm not sure why you don't see the stupidity in that.
    Ooh is this playing up to your “angry” part of your name? Should we all be scared? You deliberately try and argue with anyone. Grow up.

It’s pretty much cut and dried that he’s going so for the sake of a day, people are suggesting replacements. What’s wrong with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Ooh is this playing up to your “angry” part of your name? Should we all be scared? You deliberately try and argue with anyone. Grow up.

It’s pretty much cut and dried that he’s going so for the sake of a day, people are suggesting replacements. What’s wrong with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not playing up to anything and my name was changed by admin, I've since had one of them message me privately and offer to change it back but I refused, as after being a little ••••ed off at first thought it was quite funny and plenty on here know me so no point hiding behind a user name. Nothing to be scared of fella, I just call it how I see it. If you disagree that's your choice.

Learning All The Songs

It’s been clear for a while now that he’s leaving and today it’s been all but confirmed with it making it as far as the official NRL site. It’s a fans forum, hardly any harm in starting a thread a day early.

It’s inevitable now that Holbrook is going unfortunately.

Banned

It’s inevitable now that Holbrook is going unfortunately.
    Aye, you're most likely right, and yes, it's annoyed me but I don't blame him either.

Got A Season Ticket

You do know this is a forum, don't you?

And do you know the definition of a forum?

'a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged'

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    You do know this is a forum, don't you?

And do you know the definition of a forum?

'a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged'
    I would add 'politely' to that.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Not all that different from guessing the team a day or so before it's announced IMO. I don't really bother with it myself, but I don't think it's stupid.

For what it's worth, I don't think his successor has been found yet, so you'd better get used to the speculation!

Noooobie

Saints to make a statement tomorrow I have no idea who his replacement is going to be