Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 175

Thread: Paulo

  1. #101
    In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    35
    Posts
    7,425
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Very disappointing on the whole, decent enough shift from him last night and made plenty tackles..

    Also more yards than Ashworth and Knowles

    Just always feel we need a bit more from him

  2. #102
    In The South Stand OoOGazOoO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincs.
    Posts
    2,543
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    He always looks like a new signing to me, someone thrown into the team without training with the squad.
    He never quite looks like he's in on the plan.

    That pass to Bentley was shocking

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Yeh I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

    I think he sees himself as some kind of ball-playing forward, possibly because of his previous stints at half back in the NRL. But he just looks exactly that - a forward trying to be a half, and it doesn't work. He chucked out a few hospital passes last night.

  3. #103
    Learning All The Songs barry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ashton in Makerfield
    Posts
    1,078
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    Yeh I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

    I think he sees himself as some kind of ball-playing forward, possibly because of his previous stints at half back in the NRL. But he just looks exactly that - a forward trying to be a half, and it doesn't work. He chucked out a few hospital passes last night.
    Looks like he is playing a similar role to Wilkin last year and he got a load of stick for apparently seeing himself as a ball playing forward. It's almost like Holbrook is/was instructing them to be.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  4. #104
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,023
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    I just think itís an odd role that he plays. As above he is obviously instructed to but it seems strange to have a bit part player to do that particular job, itís more of an 80 minute role usually.

  5. #105
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,703
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Looks like he is playing a similar role to Wilkin last year and he got a load of stick for apparently seeing himself as a ball playing forward. It's almost like Holbrook is/was instructing them to be.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I remember looking at the Bulldogs forums when we signed him, though, and they were saying exactly the same thing: if only heíd stop trying to play ball and just get stuck in heíd be a decent player.

  6. #106
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I remember looking at the Bulldogs forums when we signed him, though, and they were saying exactly the same thing: if only he’d stop trying to play ball and just get stuck in he’d be a decent player.
    Funny that you were on the Bulldogs forums. We signed him from Cronulla

  7. #107
    In The South Stand Dux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,703
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintMCMXCIV View Post
    Funny that you were on the Bulldogs forums. We signed him from Cronulla
    Same thing : )

  8. #108
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,639
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Looks like he is playing a similar role to Wilkin last year and he got a load of stick for apparently seeing himself as a ball playing forward. It's almost like Holbrook is/was instructing them to be.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I remember Wilkin getting stuck in a lot more than Paulo.

  9. #109
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    56
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Well said Sir. Jon needed replacing but we have gone from a reliable Ford Escort to a used Alfa Romeo, with no service history.

  10. #110
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    under the laughing tree
    Posts
    952
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Paulo had a good game last night.

  11. #111
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chiang Rai Thailand
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I know some say he does a lot of the the unnoticed stuff. However when he's not played, have we noticed he's not there?

    Whilst his experience might be useful for the squad, on field I'm waiting for the moment when it clicks. I'm not seeing an organiser, I'm not seeing a running threat, I'm not seeing an offload game, I'm not seeing a player that attracts defenders creating space for those around him.
    urn
    I don't doubt that there's a player in there, but I don't thibk we've seen him yet. If he gets us to the GF and turns into this beast at Old Trafford, swatting defenders away and running the show, we'll know he's just been holding it all in reserve until it matters.
    If he plays in the curtain-raiser with the schoolboys he might swat a few of them off . When I see some of the young, big south sea island boys in NRL . we could have signed then see him , it really does annoy .Thought that was one of the reasons we signed Holbrook as coach .
    Last edited by fonsboy; 1st September 2019 at 02:11.

  12. #112
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,084
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    Paulo had a good game last night.
    It was a fairly typical Paulo performance. Half an hour which lacked quality and saw him do little. That pass to Bentley was a shocker. A couple of others are performing to a similar standard, Ashworth and LMS being the main two.

  13. #113
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    It was a fairly typical Paulo performance. Half an hour which lacked quality and saw him do little. That pass to Bentley was a shocker. A couple of others are performing to a similar standard, Ashworth and LMS being the main two.
    Ashworth has been dog shit for a while.

  14. #114
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,007
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Ashworth has been dog shit for a while.
    Unfortunately I agree. He looks both slow and lacking any sort of impact. I am desperately holfing out hope Lees’ injury is a bit better than first feared and Bentley gets ahead of both Paulo and Ashworth.

  15. #115
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    376
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Unfortunately I agree. He looks both slow and lacking any sort of impact. I am desperately holfing out hope Lees’ injury is a bit better than first feared and Bentley gets ahead of both Paulo and Ashworth.
    The funny thing about paulo is it probably wouldn't surprise me if he turned in a man of the match display at old Trafford

  16. #116
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Now that would be very funny if Paulo was named mom in the Grand Final.
    In my opinion which has been pointed out earlier in this post he thinks his a half back the way he passes the ball when he is forward and should be taking the ball up. He did make one good run with the ball starigt in front of the posts on Friday. Paula doesn’t play enough minutes to gain a mom the award, his kit was still clean when he went off on Friday. He usually only comes on in the second half for 25 - 30 minutes max. For me he has been a big let down this season. It must be hard moving your family half way around the world, so lets hope we still have the best of Paulo to come.

  17. #117
    In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,957
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    The funny thing about paulo is it probably wouldn't surprise me if he turned in a man of the match display at old Trafford
    Unfortunately I’ve seen absolutely nothing to suggest that’s possible.

    I said before the CC final Bentley should be in ahead of him, not many agreed at the time but plenty do now.

    I was quite hopeful he’d be a decent player for us when he joined. Hope he can still prove to be however I do worry that he’s got another 2 years with us.

  18. #118
    Starting A Programme Collection Angry Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    The funny thing about paulo is it probably wouldn't surprise me if he turned in a man of the match display at old Trafford
    I'd be less surprised if a Ferrari was parked on my drive in the morning.

  19. #119
    In The South Stand Greengrass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.
    Posts
    4,174
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    Now that would be very funny if Paulo was named mom in the Grand Final.
    In my opinion which has been pointed out earlier in this post he thinks his a half back the way he passes the ball when he is forward and should be taking the ball up. He did make one good run with the ball starigt in front of the posts on Friday. Paula doesn’t play enough minutes to gain a mom the award, his kit was still clean when he went off on Friday. He usually only comes on in the second half for 25 - 30 minutes max. For me he has been a big let down this season. It must be hard moving your family half way around the world, so lets hope we still have the best of Paulo to come.
    Peyroux first season ??
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

  20. #120
    Got A Season Ticket undertheradar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    N-L-W
    Posts
    408
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    The funny thing about paulo is it probably wouldn't surprise me if he turned in a man of the match display at old Trafford
    Playing for United?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #121
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wilts
    Posts
    4,007
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I'd be less surprised if a Ferrari was parked on my drive in the morning.
    I'd be less surprised if Quixall Crossett came out of retirement to win the Grand National....

  22. #122
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    It is interesting when reading his stats on the SL website. Especially compared to some of our other forwards, LMS for example.

    Just because his impact isn’t always eye catching doesn’t mean it isn’t there. Now, before I get slaughtered, I am in no way saying he’s an outstanding player for us. Far from it. But I am saying he isn’t as poor as certain posters are making out. The minutes he plays isn’t down to him it’s purely a coaching choice. It’s not as though the bloke is gasping for air every time he comes off.

    Click on any player from the link below to view their stats.

    https://www.superleague.co.uk/team/1/st-helens

  23. #123
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintMCMXCIV View Post
    It is interesting when reading his stats on the SL website. Especially compared to some of our other forwards, LMS for example.

    Just because his impact isnít always eye catching doesnít mean it isnít there. Now, before I get slaughtered, I am in no way saying heís an outstanding player for us. Far from it. But I am saying he isnít as poor as certain posters are making out. The minutes he plays isnít down to him itís purely a coaching choice. Itís not as though the bloke is gasping for air every time he comes off.

    Click on any player from the link below to view their stats.

    https://www.superleague.co.uk/team/1/st-helens
    I tend to take stats with a pinch of salt, they do not give the full picture, for example he makes a lot of passes very close to the opposition defensive line which due to the proximity of the defenders to the receiver result in a knock on, whilst these do not go down as Pauloís error they still come from a pass that put a teammate in a position to make the error. I think it would be called the Wilkin statistic if they ever started counting it, given how many times Wilkin set Amor up with that type of pass. I don't think he is a poor player, just could use his skill set in a far better way than he does now, run in with the ball more than passing it, draw people towards him so when the offload comes it is more effective.

  24. #124
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The team we played on Friday against the Giants would be my team for the rest of the season. Just one injury doubt Percival with the head test before Friday night at Hull.
    No way back for Paula in my 17. Should have been out weeks ago, he has had a poor season despite playing a high number of games.

  25. #125
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,023
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Over The Hill Saint View Post
    The team we played on Friday against the Giants would be my team for the rest of the season. Just one injury doubt Percival with the head test before Friday night at Hull.
    No way back for Paula in my 17. Should have been out weeks ago, he has had a poor season despite playing a high number of games.
    I tend to agree based on the last month or so. Bentley is versatile enough to cover hooker, back row and even centre and will be more useful in the tough play off games on greasy pitches

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •