Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Paulo

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I am prepared to give him the benefit of a settling in period. Unlike Coote and Fiji Kev he has not been getting regular starts and it is difficult to get into a rhythm in those circumstances.
    It's a 17 man game. It doesn't matter whether he starts. He's had as much games time as all our other forwards.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs

Saints looked disjointed in the first 20-odd mins, but as soon as JH brought Paulo on for Lees the game change. I like his handling & tackling.
    What is worrying is that only 9400 turned up for last night. There only looked around 6,500 to me. But i think that is either the 3rd or 4th game with a crowd of under 10,000.

Got A Season Ticket

There were few Wakefield supporters there tonight which has a bearing on the attendance figures. With Wembley in the next few weeks, non members may be saving their money for that event and rightly so. Long time coming.

Learning All The Songs

How can RL ever be taken seriously when you have clubs with travelling support that would fit in a couple of mini buses.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

It's also the middle of the school holidays. So lots of people will be elsewhere.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    How can RL ever be taken seriously when you have clubs with travelling support that would fit in a couple of mini buses.
    Shouldn’t it be up to the home club to get fans through the gate and not rely on away supporters. Perhaps the club should try and involve the amateur clubs again for the Cas game with it being our last league home game of the season ?.

Banned

This is very true but this certainly isn't helped by Friday night games. I must admit, I was 50/50 about the game anyway but wasn't feeling great so decided to go fishing and listen to the first half on my phone. I'm sure I'm not alone here but I find it hard to be excited about games apart from Leeds, Wire, Hull and the pigs, not helped by my job which means I'm away quite a bit. As mentioned, it's also the start of the summer holidays, we've got the LLS shield sown up, Challenge Cup final and it was never going to be anything like a big crowd.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    I said at the time and I will stick by it. Because of the quality of our young forwards coming through I would go as far to say that we really do not need forward imports. Backs yes.
    Perhaps not imports, but we need older heads to be around our fine young forwards (and backs). Paulo does this well IMO.

Obviously he's not a wrecking ball, but JH seems to think that's ok. He picks him often enough!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

BBC said they brought about a hundred. Hardly worth opening the east stand.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    BBC said they brought about a hundred. Hardly worth opening the east stand.
    We didn't.
    They were sat in the East edge of North Stand.
    Last edited by KentishBarry; 3rd August 2019 at 12:12.

Got A Season Ticket

How did wakey play I listened to some of the game on local radio the commentators couldn't seem to decide if they had done well to keep the score down or just played as bad as they have been doing

In the Queens Arms dreading the King coming home early.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    This is very true but this certainly isn't helped by Friday night games. I must admit, I was 50/50 about the game anyway but wasn't feeling great so decided to go fishing and listen to the first half on my phone. I'm sure I'm not alone here but I find it hard to be excited about games apart from Leeds, Wire, Hull and the pigs, not helped by my job which means I'm away quite a bit. As mentioned, it's also the start of the summer holidays, we've got the LLS shield sown up, Challenge Cup final and it was never going to be anything like a big crowd.
    You find it hard to get excited about RL but obviously get excited by sitting drowning maggots mmm Freud could have had a field day with you. I am not trying to inflate your Anger even more by the way just curious as to the comparison.
    On the Back foot looking for the front one.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    decided to go fishing.

Jav owt?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    How did wakey play I listened to some of the game on local radio the commentators couldn't seem to decide if they had done well to keep the score down or just played as bad as they have been doing
    Saints took time to settle with the changes in personnel and Wakey didn’t really pose much of a threat. It was pretty boring until Saints scored the first try then by half time the game was won at 20-2. The second half was a bore fest and if Wakey continue playing as poorly, they will be in serious danger of relegation. They’re in the mix that’s for sure.
    6-4 second half score sums it up. Tedious yes, but a win was all that was required and I wasn’t surprised at the lack of excitement in the game. Young Welsby did well at FB. Danny played a little better but still only a back-up half. Swifty did ok as well.

Got A Season Ticket

Cheers , yes Wakey in big trouble might come down to there last game against London

Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    I thought Wakey were far better than when they capitulated to Wigan - at least this time they did try to defend, albeit against a Saints team finding it difficult to raise themselves after last week’s high of reaching Wembley while also missing the Lomax-Coote creative axis. Attacking-wise, Brough and Hampshire offered little and our defence was only troubled slightly by the odd barnstorming run from Fifita or Tupou. Given those two were the only real threats, we were able to gang tackle them and didn’t really look like conceding a try until the last minute.

The most interesting thing for me was watching the referee, Marcus Griffiths, who seems to have insufficient presence to handle any potential flashpoint; his policing of the 10 metres was woeful for both sides despite him continually flapping his arms and calling for players to retreat. He made you appreciate Thaler, Hicks, Child and even Mikalauskas.

Starting A Programme Collection

The difference in Paulo's game is that he's now playing for a bench spot in the final

I was just disappointed that they scored their try at the end. It would have meant we would have gone two full games without conceding a try.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    I was just disappointed that they scored their try at the end. It would have meant we would have gone two full games without conceding a try.
    It was a double movement that was ignored by the touch judge as the ref was on the other side and couldn't have seen it.

Lots of people on holiday at the moment. Unless you holiday between November and January you are going to miss some games.

Noooobie

Did this clown ever see anything ' same for both side's.
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Bernard View Post
    It was a double movement that was ignored by the touch judge as the ref was on the other side and couldn't have seen it.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roylitherland View Post
    Did this clown ever see anything ' same for both side's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I thought Wakey were far better than when they capitulated to Wigan - at least this time they did try to defend, albeit against a Saints team finding it difficult to raise themselves after last week’s high of reaching Wembley while also missing the Lomax-Coote creative axis. Attacking-wise, Brough and Hampshire offered little and our defence was only troubled slightly by the odd barnstorming run from Fifita or Tupou. Given those two were the only real threats, we were able to gang tackle them and didn’t really look like conceding a try until the last minute.

The most interesting thing for me was watching the referee, Marcus Griffiths, who seems to have insufficient presence to handle any potential flashpoint; his policing of the 10 metres was woeful for both sides despite him continually flapping his arms and calling for players to retreat. He made you appreciate Thaler, Hicks, Child and even Mikalauskas.
    Maybe a little more understanding for a kid on his debut.
    We do want refs, so we have to blood them at some point.
    I know if it was me I would miss quite a lot stood in the middle of the pitch rather than sat high in the stands.

If you were designing RL from scratch having the ref stood in the middle of the field would not be the ideal place.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Maybe a little more understanding for a kid on his debut.
    We do want refs, so we have to blood them at some point.
    I know if it was me I would miss quite a lot stood in the middle of the pitch rather than sat high in the stands.

If you were designing RL from scratch having the ref stood in the middle of the field would not be the ideal place.
    https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/r...griffiths.html

According to this site, he’s refereed several SL games already this season so you can’t put down his demeanour to first night nerves. One instance that summed him up to me was when he gave a penalty against Fifita under our posts; Fifita got up and remonstrated that his hair had been pulled. Any firm referee would have moved the penalty 10 metres but Griffiths did nothing. Brough then came over and was obviously told to go away but, as Richardson was shaping to kick to touch Brough stuck out his foot at the ball, causing Richardson to fumble it. Rather than march Wakefield 10 metres upfield, the referee merely told Richardson to get on with the kick. Such lack of incisiveness merely gives the players open licence to carry on moaning about decisions rather than getting on with the game.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/r...griffiths.html

According to this site, he’s refereed several SL games already this season so you can’t put down his demeanour to first night nerves. One instance that summed him up to me was when he gave a penalty against Fifita under our posts; Fifita got up and remonstrated that his hair had been pulled. Any firm referee would have moved the penalty 10 metres but Griffiths did nothing. Brough then came over and was obviously told to go away but, as Richardson was shaping to kick to touch Brough stuck out his foot at the ball, causing Richardson to fumble it. Rather than march Wakefield 10 metres upfield, the referee merely told Richardson to get on with the kick. Such lack of incisiveness merely gives the players open licence to carry on moaning about decisions rather than getting on with the game.
    Tickled me when he kept on telling our lads to get up whilst flicking his arms up and down and shouting "up" , all well and good but with Fifita using you as a mattress
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    It's a 17 man game. It doesn't matter whether he starts. He's had as much games time as all our other forwards.
    Some take longer to adjust eg Dom you will just have to learn patience. JH thought he had his best game on friday and I will go with JH on this!
    Learned comment from The Don