Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paulo

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    I would like to see him become more aggressive and take the line on giving us some go forward. however I do believe he has a x factor that adds to our present success.
    Is that a joke? What exactly is this ‘x factor’ he brings?

Learning All The Songs

He’s been desperately poor, he just offers absolutely nothing apart from daft mistakes. It was a pretty underwhelming signing when he was announced but he’s been much worse than I imagined, the fact we’ve got to put up with him for another two seasons makes it far worse. I’d give Bentley a go instead of him, pretty much impossible for him to be any worse. I’ve seen quite a few people say he brings composure to the team but what does that even mean and how can you judge whether he brings that or not? Amazing that he lasted 10 years in the NRL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    He’s been desperately poor, he just offers absolutely nothing apart from daft mistakes. It was a pretty underwhelming signing when he was announced but he’s been much worse than I imagined, the fact we’ve got to put up with him for another two seasons makes it far worse. I’d give Bentley a go instead of him, pretty much impossible for him to be any worse. I’ve seen quite a few people say he brings composure to the team but what does that even mean and how can you judge whether he brings that or not? Amazing that he lasted 10 years in the NRL.
    The stats showd he made 28 tackles but I never noticed do anything with ball in hand

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Not so much a scapegoat. More as pointing out his blatant lack of being arsed. Percival hurtling into their defensive line trying to get us up the pitch time after time & him hiding. He's way below par & needs a rocket
    Totally irrelevant comparison....hes a steady Eddie who also looks after the young lads too...remember Rat boy behind the sticks at easter getting thrown over the boards? Hes not flashy thats true and had a bad one on Sat...but Holbrook is no mug. Suppose hes the Phil Neville of our team....a players player.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Totally irrelevant comparison....hes a steady Eddie who also looks after the young lads too...remember Rat boy behind the sticks at easter getting thrown over the boards? Hes not flashy thats true and had a bad one on Sat...but Holbrook is no mug. Suppose hes the Phil Neville of our team....a players player.
    Ok fair enough.

But our strike centre was busting his bum to make yards & our loose forward/second row wasn't.

He doesn't work hard enough.

In The South Stand

First impressions were he was bang average, not changed my view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mufcsaint View Post
    The stats showd he made 28 tackles but I never noticed do anything with ball in hand
    He's more of a defender and an organiser, watched the semi final again last night to see what he does, works in a very narrow channel with a short passing game, also talks to the players for the next play. Always puts in lots of tackles and doesn't miss many and has a very low error count, he's not a player with eye catching runs, every team needs a steady player who adds composure to the side.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    He's more of a defender and an organiser, watched the semi final again last night to see what he does, works in a very narrow channel with a short passing game, also talks to the players for the next play. Always puts in lots of tackles and doesn't miss many and has a very low error count, he's not a player with eye catching runs, every team needs a steady player who adds composure to the side.
    When I watched it back I felt he did more than I remembered, maybe his value is greater than simply what we see? I'm yet to decide if he is worth his place or not, I'll allow JH to be the judge of that while I ponder

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Ok fair enough.

But our strike centre was busting his bum to make yards & our loose forward/second row wasn't.

He doesn't work hard enough.
    Our three quarters are coached to bring the ball away.....so like i said...irrelevant to compare between . Anyway...Holbrook might take JP to Titans....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Our three quarters are coached to bring the ball away.....so like i said...irrelevant to compare between . Anyway...Holbrook might take JP to Titans....lol
    I think he's got a big job on there

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I am prepared to give him the benefit of a settling in period. Unlike Coote and Fiji Kev he has not been getting regular starts and it is difficult to get into a rhythm in those circumstances.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    When I watched it back I felt he did more than I remembered,
    Me too actually if I’m honest

Learning All The Songs

I get he is a ball playing forward and he has good hands but surely the first job for him is to run in as a forward and attempt to break the line, it is rare we see him do that, opposition teams seem to be waiting for him to pass the ball and then tackling the next player quickly, for the pass to be more effective surely he has to take the ball in to contact more often and draw tacklers to him. The way he is playing does he deserve a place in the 17 each week?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    I get he is a ball playing forward and he has good hands but surely the first job for him is to run in as a forward and attempt to break the line, it is rare we see him do that, opposition teams seem to be waiting for him to pass the ball and then tackling the next player quickly, for the pass to be more effective surely he has to take the ball in to contact more often and draw tacklers to him. The way he is playing does he deserve a place in the 17 each week?
    You mean he should play like Taia? Not much chance of that from what I have seen.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    You mean he should play like Taia? Not much chance of that from what I have seen.
    Ideally yes, sadly he has not been able and doesn’t seem capable of playing that way, if he was i think it would be a great option off the bench. As it stands i would rather have Bentley in the 17 instead, i feel he offers more.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Perhaps Holbrook likes a bit of variation, we have Tai and Peyroux who are our wide runners, in the middle the space and time isn't there so thats why Paulo operates a short game similar to a half back in that narrow channel. I seem to remember Holbrook mentioned something similar when he signed him also that variation might be needed in a tight big game which we couldn't adapt to last season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Perhaps Holbrook likes a bit of variation, we have Tai and Peyroux who are our wide runners, in the middle the space and time isn't there so thats why Paulo operates a short game similar to a half back in that narrow channel. I seem to remember Holbrook mentioned something similar when he signed him also that variation might be needed in a tight big game which we couldn't adapt to last season.
    I'm still hoping to see him get more involved and maybe he needs more minutes on the field, but right now I am not impressed with him.

Learning All The Songs

I like Paulo he’s a good tackler and he’s not afraid to get stuck in, plus he took the No12 shirt off Wilkin which was the biggest bonus.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

He seems to have a calming influence when he comes on , IMO.

Few times this year we've been jittery, forcing the ball out wide when we haven't earned the right to. He seems to calm everything down in the middle. He ain't a trail blazer, but solid enough when needed.

Sent from my FDR-A01L using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Going forward he is not great. I know people say good hands but you have to make the opposition guess a little.

If he had a

Fend
    Show and go
    Some tackle busting runs

Then you could mix that up with good hands, but he does tend to squeeze the space out wide and offload well before the tackle.

He maybe bought for defensive qualities, but if that's the case he at the minimum needs to cart the ball in hard on a couple of occasions.

Thought he had a good game tonight, really got stuck in

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I've got him in my top 3 for this week, I think he also made some decent metres.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    yes ,for once he was prepared to run the ball in

I've got him in my top 3 for this week, I think he also made some decent metres.
    Agreed

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    Given him this far into the season to impress. Wanted him to get better on harder pitches, but I’m sorry, he is poor. Not up to Saints standard and arguably not up to SL standards. I’m not even sure what his position is. He runs with no purpose and he is touted as some ball handling 13 but he isn’t. I think it is a three year deal as well so really hoping for the home sick, mutual agreement departure at the end of the season.
    I said at the time and I will stick by it. Because of the quality of our young forwards coming through I would go as far to say that we really do not need forward imports. Backs yes.