Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It’s only half time:....

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Qujaho View Post
    Im sorry Halifax played really well for all purposes that was there World Cup, to denigrate Halifax's efforts cheapens us as a club.

The result was never doubt, I thought Halifax played really well especially in those conditions. Perhaps Saints should have a plane B, how to play in the rain.

I also felt the Saints team should have applauded the Halifax crowd. Halifax played well and gave everything they had, you cannot ask for more than that from any team.

We have beaten every side this season by about 20 clear points the exception London.

Halifax never resorted to cheap shots, they played the game honourably and with 100% commitment, so give credit where credit is due
    Kevin Larroyer performed a head slam on Richardson early in the second half Ashworth reacted and a knock on was given. These are observations not criticism of our opposition.
    Halifax were very good and played their hearts out but there was a lot of foul play went unpunished, as an earlier post, would we have a man binned for similar or retaliation?
    Why are you sorry Oujaho ?

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    2 shoulder charges in the first half.
    Numerous high tackles missed.
    Knocked the ball out of hand at least twice in the second half.
    Constantly offside from the beginning.

They can •••• off for all I care.
    Good Evening. I do not come on here often. Just logged on to see what you fans thought of todays game.I would suggest the points are above are more or less correct.
    But opinion if thats OK. Saints were just as bad with some of their shots.Both teams were offside all of the match.Takes me back to the question what are the lines men there for?.
    The offside is apparent in all games, and for me a spoiler.Ref in today's game had half the defending players from Both teams in front of him on the play the Ball.
    I watched the matched with a Saints fan who totally agreed.
    I think you are going to have to play a lot better than today to win any of the finals, saying that the win was the important bit today and not the performance.
    Well done to Halifax, great to see a Champinsonship team in a Semi and great for the game as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Kevin Larroyer performed a head slam on Richardson early in the second half Ashworth reacted and a knock on was given. These are observations not criticism of our opposition.
    Halifax were very good and played their hearts out but there was a lot of foul play went unpunished, as an earlier post, would we have a man binned for similar or retaliation?
    Im sorry, because I was disagreeing with what everybody else was saying, I was being polite.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjoe View Post
    Good Evening. I do not come on here often. Just logged on to see what you fans thought of todays game.I would suggest the points are above are more or less correct.
    But opinion if thats OK. Saints were just as bad with some of their shots.Both teams were offside all of the match.Takes me back to the question what are the lines men there for?.
    The offside is apparent in all games, and for me a spoiler.Ref in today's game had half the defending players from Both teams in front of him on the play the Ball.
    I think you are going to have to play a lot better than today to win any of the finals, saying that the win was the important bit today and not the performance.
    Well done to Halifax, great to see a Champinsonship team in a Semi and great for the game as a whole.
    That's probably fair enough. We were far from our best today and Kendal was a disgrace to be fair. I'll be honest I didn't notice us offside and can only remember one penalty all game for it.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I will say this, coote is the fulcrum of our team

Agreed. I also thought how much we rely on Morgan Knowles. He is the link that is much needed between forwards and backs and today it was obvious by his absence.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wirefox View Post
    Agreed. I also thought how much we rely on Morgan Knowles. He is the link that is much needed between forwards and backs and today it was obvious by his absence.
    Good point with Knowles and also how crap Paulo is, i thought he was shocking today.

It was a funny game. I thought we learned a lesson from last year in not trying to win the game in the first 20 mins and were patient despite Fax’s resilience. A bit clunky in attack and it showed how important Coote is as we were nowhere near as fluent without him and to some extent Knowles too. Conditions played into their hands a bit too but they never threatened to score and we were physically dominant as you’d expect. Job done and into the final we go

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    It was a very physical tackle but I'm not sure it warranted a penalty, Richardson did knock on, he should have just played the ball and got on with it, to busy trying to push the defender

Upside
    Non Members

They often ignore offside if it doesn't directly affect play, it's to ty to keep the game flowing. If they did blow all the time we would have double the penalties and wouldn't be as good to watch. That's fine if that's what people want

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The first 10 maybe 15 we overplayed somewhat but kept it simple after a few mistakes knowing that Fax didn't have anything at all in attack and we grounded it from there. Throw in the weather and Kendal basically watching the game as a spectator as a leveller also. It doesn't matter though!! Cannot wait till Wembley!!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I thought we overplayed, we probably wouldn't play like that against a SL team, complete sets, pressure the opposition and kick well would sap energy, then you earn the right to play

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    They often ignore offside if it doesn't directly affect play, it's to ty to keep the game flowing. If they did blow all the time we would have double the penalties and wouldn't be as good to watch. That's fine if that's what people want
    I couldn’t see how on or offside the teams were as I was watching from the North stand, so I’m not commenting on Kendal’s performance today, but offside always affects play.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I couldn’t see how on or offside the teams were as I was watching from the North stand, so I’m not commenting on Kendal’s performance today, but offside always affects play.

I don't disagree, which is why I said directly affects play, bit agree ball carrier looks up and they make decisions based on the position of defenders
    Thing is what do we want? If we take a hard line there will be lots of penalties

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

Having followed Saints for 50 odd years I have been to numerous semi finals. Can't stand em, as if you lose you are gutted, win and you still haven't won owt. Did what was needed today and I thought Halifax were a credit to the Championship and can be proud of themselves. No moans or complaints tonight from me.
    Reminded me a bit of the 1976 semi v Keighley. We were supposed to hammer them and got through 5-4 at the old Fartown

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Good point above ref Offside. True as well on another post be blowing the whistle all the time because every team in Super league and no doubt all the other Leagues players constantly offsie?
    Just a thought be may increase the 10 Yard/Meter rule, give the defending team /attacking team abit more space before the attacking team are totally smothered by half the defending team being already plenty of yards off the mark and in the faces of the attacking team.
    This is only my opinion, I feel the inconsistent offsides are spoiling the game and usually ignored by ref and linesman alike.
    Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20
    Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

The weather played its part as did an amazing effort from the Halifax players.

If people were expecting another 50 point bananza they turned up to the wrong game.

I think we bombed maybe 2 opportunities in the first half to score.

But it's about what I expected given most of the team were back from a mid-season break and there is going to be some rustiness.

Roby looked sharp but the rest were still on a cruise. You could see in the second half that rustiness had run its course and we were far more efficient.

Next week we will get better again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Good point with Knowles and also how crap Paulo is, i thought he was shocking today.
    A lot keep saying that what Paulo does goes unnoticed. I'm one of the ones that doesn't notice

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Game plan today was terrible. Whenever we ran hard through the middle we tore their defence a new one yet it took until the 2nd half to do this consistently. We seemed intent on trying to throw the ball out wide in wet conditions when, if we'd bullied them through the middle, Fax missing and dropping off tackles would have led to plenty of scoring opportunities. Our last tackle options didn't help either, throwing the ball to Richardson every time was predictable and he struggled being closed down so quickly. Was there no plan B? Could Fages not have stepped up as he was completely anonymous? We never looked like we were going to concede a try never mind lose the game but a smarter approach could have made the game much more comfortable for us.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Very professional performance from Saints. It would have been too easy to play silly football and force passes.

We respected Halifax and the conditions and got the job done
    Now that is spot on. Halifax where outstanding and had the conditions and referee to suit. Glad to see Robes back. that could have been nasty. As it was I thought Saints played very well in the prevailing conditions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I thought we overplayed, we probably wouldn't play like that against a SL team, complete sets, pressure the opposition and kick well would sap energy, then you earn the right to play
    You’re right, we tried to overplay but we tried to do the same against Wigan, we need to realise that we can’t score on every set !

Quote Originally Posted by johnno65 View Post
    You’re right, we tried to overplay but we tried to do the same against Wigan, we need to realise that we can’t score on every set !
    It is our weakness. Less so than last year, but it’s still the thing that could bite us.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Game plan today was terrible. Whenever we ran hard through the middle we tore their defence a new one yet it took until the 2nd half to do this consistently. We seemed intent on trying to throw the ball out wide in wet conditions when, if we'd bullied them through the middle, Fax missing and dropping off tackles would have led to plenty of scoring opportunities. Our last tackle options didn't help either, throwing the ball to Richardson every time was predictable and he struggled being closed down so quickly. Was there no plan B? Could Fages not have stepped up as he was completely anonymous? We never looked like we were going to concede a try never mind lose the game but a smarter approach could have made the game much more comfortable for us.
    They were going wide in the first half to stretch the Halifax defence. It’s precisely why the forwards were so effective towards the end of the game. If you look at times in the first half (for example Walmsley being tackled on the line in the first half) Halifax were able to keep it together.

Frankly I’m amazed at some of the negativity across the internet this evening.

Did we handle the conditions as well as we could have? No.
    Did we handle the ref deciding that everything should be done at championship speed? No.
    Did we handle changes in our spine with Coote and Knowles out as well as we should have? Probably not.
    Have we gotten a decade long monkey off our back and going to Wembley? HELL YES!
    Do we have had the added bonus of the whole team being rested and rejuvenated over the last fortnight? Yup - and may well be bigger than we think at the end of the season.

On another day Walmsley doesn’t drop it over the line, Makinson doesn’t drop it over the line, Naiqama isn’t pulled back for nothing (yes I know the ref said he knocked it down in the tackle, but there were two incidents after that where Halifax did the same and it was ignored). That puts us past 40 and puts a very different spin on the game.

I know the rest of the world are desperately trying to claim a ‘moral victory’ for Halifax, but they could still be playing now and not even had a chance to score. We controlled every aspect of the performance and I can’t even remember a tacklebust, let alone a break or a half chance to score. Even when there was nothing to lose in then last 5 minutes of the game and they tried to play basketball they didn’t look threatening.

It never mattered whether we won by 1 or 100 points, and go into the last 10 games of the season with all trophies still to play for. There are more important games for masterplan game plans in those 10 games than today.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

My take on the 'offside' thing that some of you have mentioned...IMO refs these days tend to stand deeper than the 10, so the defending players will often be in front of them, but will still be onside.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    My take on the 'offside' thing that some of you have mentioned...IMO refs these days tend to stand deeper than the 10, so the defending players will often be in front of them, but will still be onside.
    I'm not sure that's applicable with Kendall. He had a small 10m especially in the first 15-20 minutes and that suited Halifax perfectly.

To me it was an old fashioned rugby league semi final and I quite enjoyed it. The atmosphere sounded good and Fax battled hard but were never going to win. They should however be commended for their performance and for a great cup run

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Banned

It’s nice to see you post on our site but then again the piesccum didn’t play this week so no need to post on cherry and shite !

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Saints defence was awesome today, yes Halifax are struggling in the championship this season, and the only player for them who could have 'made a break' for them today was QLT who wasn't selected. Scott Grix was preferred at full back, and to be fair his defence was outstanding. The game for you guys was a lose/lose situation. Score 50+, so what, Fax are 8th in their league, and recently lost 5 games in a row. The conditions definitely didn't help Saints, but you made lots of easy yards out of your own half. Fax never looked liked scoring, but i enjoyed the way they got stuck in, and also tried different stuff, with their short kick offs. It's the final most neutrals wanted, and hopefully us Leigh fans can join you, in that silly 1895 cup the RFL have created.
    p.s. James Roby, can't believe how good a player he still is at his age.