Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refs for Saturday

Watched the game back today and it was nothing like as bad as is being made out.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Watched the game back today and it was nothing like as bad as is being made out.
    You've got to admit though that it looks bad when the referee is high fiving a player on the pitch during the game. Hardly stets a good example, does it? I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I watched it again too - I haven't changed my opinion, he was awful imo
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    You've got to admit though that it looks bad when the referee is high fiving a player on the pitch during the game. Hardly stets a good example, does it? I couldn't believe it when I saw it.
    And that's as unprofessional as it gets.....calling players by the first names for me is poor, but that really takes the biscuit!!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Upside
    Non Members

Just watched the game back and really enjoyed it, as I suspect most neutrals did going from the many comments

I just don't get why so much focus would be on the ref and not the great game and great advert for the sport

So much great media has followed yet we seemed adamant we have to critise our own game by only mentioning officials

I may be in the minority on here but for me nobody is seriously hurt , enjoy the physical battle and move onto next week

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Just watched the game back and really enjoyed it, as I suspect most neutrals did going from the many comments

I just don't get why so much focus would be on the ref and not the great game and great advert for the sport

So much great media has followed yet we seemed adamant we have to critise our own game by only mentioning officials

I may be in the minority on here but for me nobody is seriously hurt , enjoy the physical battle and move onto next week
    Dunno Upside, Robes went down holding his ribs after a tackle went off shortly after that, it may have been a planned subbing, hope it`s nothing serious.

"Nobody is seriously hurt" rather fortunately.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    "Nobody is seriously hurt" rather fortunately.

I guess you could say that for all games though, it's a contact sport, that's the attraction, so serious injury is a real concern every game

I guess you could say that for all games though, it's a contact sport, that's the attraction, so serious injury is a real concern every game
    Totally agree - much safer though if it's played within the rules designed to protect players though don't you think?

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Totally agree - much safer though if it's played within the rules designed to protect players though don't you think?
    Yes but it's my belief that it in this contact sport what can appear as very dangerous act can in the cold light of day be aggressive or mistimed play rather than outright intentional dangerous play.

IMO Often home fans overreact where I just see much of this as part of the game, as do the players IME

I find there are often double standards from many home fans, outraged at the opposition players and glorifying aggressive play from home players. Again I'm happy to accept that all sides play close to the rules and it occasionally spills over

Got A Season Ticket

There are plenty of posts discussing the game and the performance. This is a different thread discussing the performance of the referee. I do enjoy the physicality of the game but how far do we go allowing head shots? When someone is injured people will rightly say ‘Well what did you expect?’. There were a lot of high shots on Saturday, most unpunished together with a lot of mistakes by the referee and the players. It wasn’t a good spectacle but the result was a good one.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    There are plenty of posts discussing the game and the performance. This is a different thread discussing the performance of the referee. I do enjoy the physicality of the game but how far do we go allowing head shots? When someone is injured people will rightly say ‘Well what did you expect?’. There were a lot of high shots on Saturday, most unpunished together with a lot of mistakes by the referee and the players. It wasn’t a good spectacle but the result was a good one.
    I just didn't see it that way, I just don't think there were LOTs of head shots mostly unpunished. The game was very good, it flowed, there would be lots on forums complaining about the ref thinking it's all about him and wanting to be on TV if he had blowed his whistle continually

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I just didn't see it that way, I just don't think there were LOTs of head shots mostly unpunished. The game was very good, it flowed, there would be lots on forums complaining about the ref thinking it's all about him and wanting to be on TV if he had blowed his whistle continually
    I always find in a semi final game there is always a slight degree in leniency because there is so much at stake. Fax played the perfect game to keep the score down with borderline off side, spoiling at the ruck and some decent in field kicking. For me the ref gave the rub of the green to Fax with the ball knock downs and the penalty against for off side was a bit of a joke considering what went on before.

Quote Originally Posted by ffs View Post
    Exactly

I'm personally dreading Thaler being appointed for the CC Final

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    That ref yesterday needs to be thoroughly investigated,, that whole reffing performance stinks of corruption
    I don't think corruption is the right word but it appears he was under instruction to "even it up a bit". Not right in any case and it doesn't excuse anything.

I think someone mentioned about him high fiving a player and I wasn't sure if I'd actually seen that right and Kendal done himself no favours with that. Not a chance anything will be done about it though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I always find in a semi final game there is always a slight degree in leniency because there is so much at stake.
    Dick Ayres sends his regards

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I don't think corruption is the right word but it appears he was under instruction to "even it up a bit". Not right in any case and it doesn't excuse anything.

I think someone mentioned about him high fiving a player and I wasn't sure if I'd actually seen that right and Kendal done himself no favours with that. Not a chance anything will be done about it though.
    I couldn't believe it myself Dave. watched it back however, and yeah, he high fives a 'Fax player after awarding them a scrum. Really, really poor, completely unprofessional.

Learning All The Songs

i tend to think Kendall is the best referee about, however i do not think he had a great game Saturday, especially with the high 5, that was really unprofessional. What i do have an issue with is the fact he missed the blatant forearm/ elbow to Richardson on the floor by Larroyer, that was blatant and unnecessary, in the 50th minute if anyone wants to check it.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Just a thought, but are refs wired up differently on BBC compared to SKY?
    I'm not suggesting any wrong doing of any party here. Just wondering if the communications are the same or not.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    i tend to think Kendall is the best referee about, however i do not think he had a great game Saturday, especially with the high 5, that was really unprofessional. What i do have an issue with is the fact he missed the blatant forearm/ elbow to Richardson on the floor by Larroyer, that was blatant and unnecessary, in the 50th minute if anyone wants to check it.
    Just watching it back and Larroyer doesn't make a tackle in the 50th minute? Have you got the minutes mixed up?

Edit, found it was watching from 50 not 49

It was aggressive but missed the head, so is it a penalty if you swing your arm around to slam the player to the ground if it isn't their head? Aggressive yes, rough and tough yes but technically a penalty?

I was annoyed at DR here, he reacted and dropped the ball, so I don't think it was unnecessary at all as the purpose was to rough us up and create a reaction, which he got along with an error. DR should be better than that and just play smarter, of you react then your letting them get under your skin and they'll do it more.

For me the ref got it right, we cannot expect the ref to give us a penalty because the opposition was aggressive

Learning All The Songs

Just watching it back and Larroyer doesn't make a tackle in the 50th minute? Have you got the minutes mixed up?
    Tackle at 49.22 on the clock, therefore 50th minute.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Tackle at 49.22 on the clock, therefore 50th minute.
    Yes I made the error of looking from 50

Learning All The Songs

Kendal is no better than the other refs, he just spends less time on sky under the spotlight. He had a poor game on Saturday 5/10 at best.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Kendal is no better than the other refs, he just spends less time on sky under the spotlight. He had a poor game on Saturday 5/10 at best.

Why 5/10?