Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: No Coote For Semi

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    Can't see past Lomax fages Richardson myself..
    Play Elton Welsby. We're playing Halifax. If we can't beat them with one kid in the lineup, there's something wrong.

The only thing that worries me slightly about Richardson coming in is this: I can only think of one way in which Halifax can beat us, and that’s if we overplay and gift them loads of territory and possession. That’s something we’re much more prone to when he’s running the plays.

But it still seems the best choice - we should have enough to still comfortably beat Fax even if we’re not quite on it, and without Coote or Richardson we don’t have much of a kicking game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Lomax to full back for me

I only saw highlights of the London game but was disappointed when DR made an excellent break and rather than use the inside man he dummied and went himself losing the ball. It was an moment of greed and self interest when his position requires him to be selfless at times
    Beat me to it he should have passed the ball

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Play Elton Welsby. We're playing Halifax. If we can't beat them with one kid in the lineup, there's something wrong.
    Good call.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I think there's been enough talk of picking weakened sides this past week. Go with your best, what if coote is out for a while. We need to start building the combinations.

Sorry but welsby's place at the moment is in games like last week.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Will coote be fit for the grand final in October,, presuming we get there?

What???

How serious is his injury?????

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    What???

How serious is his injury?????
    Don't worry Mancunian just likes to post questions nobody else is thinking of

He's out for the halufax game so just enquired as to how long he will be out for?
    Ask how long is he out for then. What you've written makes people think you've heard it's a bad injury and you're unsure if he will make old Trafford.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    For the sake of continuity in terms of style of play, we simply can’t play Makinson at 1. He doesn’t have the right attributes to be a ball playing full back.
    If continuity is your primary concern then surely the last thing you do is change your half back combination?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    If continuity is your primary concern then surely the last thing you do is change your half back combination?
    Continuity of our style of play, yes. I think Richardson at 6 and Lomax at 1 causes far less disruption to our game plan and our style of play than Makinson at 1, for the reasons stated previously. We would have to change our style of play with Makinson at 1 but we wouldn’t with Lomax there.
    I understand your point about keeping the Fages/Lomax partnership together in an ideal world but seeing as there is such fluidity between 6 and 1 nowadays I don’t think it’s a particularly big leap for Lomax. It’s a position he’s played in many many times before. Also Richardson has played half back with Fages many times before too. They are all being asked to play in positions that will come naturally. That isn’t the case with Makinson at 1.

To put it simply, I think Richardson is far more suited to playing at half back in this team than Makinson is to playing at 1 in this team, if that makes sense.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    The decision needs to be made without any reference to the fact that ‘it’s only Halifax’. I just can’t see beyond Lomax at FB and DR next to Fages. Least disruptive option and we are not compromising the FB position.
    Of course we should be strong enough regardless of who plays where, but if we see an ‘unusual’ selection for this game I would question ask does JH get the fitters in big games?
    Least disrupted? You must be having a laugh. Nothing could be more disruptive than playing Richardson.

Learning All The Songs

The least disruptive move is Welsby to fullback as it’s just a straight swap for Coote but I think that’s the riskiest move given his performances against London this season. Putting Richardson in is by far the most disruptive move as it means Lomax and Fages move positions to accommodate it. It’s a difficult one as there has to be doubts as to whether Welsby can handle the pressure but I’m not sure Richardson should be anywhere near a semi final given his performances in them last season. Not to mention, Fages and Richardson is a terrible partnership. Richardson did put a post on social media saying big week coming up, so from that I’d assume he’s starting. Given the level of opposition it shouldn’t make any difference either way.

Banned

Richardson this season - once he'd shook the rust off in his first game - has played very well. He was central to our best performance of the year, beating Wire at home.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by parky151277 View Post
    I’m sure I read that he went for a scan last week? The fact that he’s having another scan today is a bit worrying. Let’s hope it’s nothing too serious.
    Don’t think he’s had it yet. I imagine it’s a precaution because he’s had an ACL injury before. With the way Holbrook was talking about it, I can’t imagine he’ll be out for more than a few weeks. Not like we’ll need him until the final anyway.

Richardson is a capable half. Plus he can kick goals. Can't go into a semi final with no decent goalkicker, regardless of who you're up against

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

I’d stick with the continuity in the halves & with us playing a Championship side would love to see us throw Welsby in at full back. The exposure in such a massive game will bring him on massively. I think he is the best young kid we’ve got waiting to step up. He’s an elegant runner, he must have broke the line against Cas in the Wigan curtain raiser everytime he touched the ball. If Richardson is likely to be leaving with Theo signing a new deal then I would look at Welsby getting some
    experience. He will be a massive star at Saints in the future, not that I am writing Danny off but in all likelihood it looks like he will depart at the end of the season. Feels like a Briers scenario but Danny is too good to sit in the stands for the next 2-3 years.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Richardson this season - once he'd shook the rust off in his first game - has played very well. He was central to our best performance of the year, beating Wire at home.
    And apart from a bit of a dud kick, he played well against Wigan on good Friday.

Lomax can play full back. Stick Richardson in the team alongside Fages.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Makinson cannot pass the ball. In the plays Saints pivots are Lomax and Coote alongside Theo. Lomax and Theo can still do the same from FB and SO and Danny knows the plays and has experience in big games. Makinson is a finisher not a creator. Leave him where he is our main threat to the opposition try line. I don’t think we should take Halifax lightly. After all, this is their cup final! Why risk Welsby in a game as important as this? I know Danny has his faults but we need a proven goal kicker on Sat. Go with tried and tested as opposed to giving a young lad a chance to either be a star or have a mare. Too risky for me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Richardson is a capable half. Plus he can kick goals. Can't go into a semi final with no decent goalkicker, regardless of who you're up against
    I don’t think a kicker matters at all to be honest given who Saints are up against. A lack of a recognised kicker will merely keep the score down.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    And apart from a bit of a dud kick, he played well against Wigan on good Friday.

Lomax can play full back. Stick Richardson in the team alongside Fages.

I thought Richardson looked quite sharp at London but he didn't really have quick enough support runners when he made a break, with Peyroux and Fages he should finish a bit better than the "pick and Mix" side we had out at the weekend.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I thought Richardson looked quite sharp at London but he didn't really have quick enough support runners when he made a break, with Peyroux and Fages he should finish a bit better than the "pick and Mix" side we had out at the weekend.
    He cut through London really well, if hes able to repeat something like that on Saturday then youre correct, he will have better finishers following, allowing him to make the pass earlier

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    I’d stick with the continuity in the halves & with us playing a Championship side would love to see us throw Welsby in at full back. The exposure in such a massive game will bring him on massively. I think he is the best young kid we’ve got waiting to step up. He’s an elegant runner, he must have broke the line against Cas in the Wigan curtain raiser everytime he touched the ball. If Richardson is likely to be leaving with Theo signing a new deal then I would look at Welsby getting some
    experience. He will be a massive star at Saints in the future, not that I am writing Danny off but in all likelihood it looks like he will depart at the end of the season. Feels like a Briers scenario but Danny is too good to sit in the stands for the next 2-3 years.

If we go this way, who kicks at goal?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

This is strange, we could end up winning the grand final whilst losing twice to the team that could finish bottom
    Why do you keep posting random things that have no relevance to the topic?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by mancunian saint View Post
    do you make the rules? No. Its a forum where fans can post what they want
    ok.....
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    If we go this way, who kicks at goal?
    I've not got a problem with Richardson being selected and taking the goal kicks but don't forget we have a very competent kicker in Tommy Makinson and if Percy can kick (albeit reluctantly)