Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: No Coote For Semi

Learning All The Songs

I think you go with the team that you would pick for Wembley, if LC wasn't available for that game so it has got to be Richardson for his place kicking alone in pressure games.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Tommy to fullback and Swift on wing
    Agree 100%. A Challenge Cup semi final (regardless of the opposition) is not the time to be experimenting....

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    Agree 100%. A Challenge Cup semi final (regardless of the opposition) is not the time to be experimenting....
    Lomax has the no 1 on his back though, I don't think we would be experimenting too much. Makinson is a big part of our game in every attacking set when our forwards have attracted extra numbers into the tackle, I don't think we should be losing those options. As for running the ball back from the kick Lomax just needs to engage Grace and Makinson to do that work.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    I think Makinson at 1 is a bigger “experiment” than Richardson at 6 or 7 given that we’d have to change our style of play.

The selection that gives least disruption and least risk is Lomax to 1 and Richardson to 6/7.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

It has to be Lomax for me.

He is the better attacking and defending full back. He is also great at marshaling the defense at full back and gets the numbers right on either side of the ruck.

Richardson has a better kicking game than anyone else in the team both in open play and place kicking.

Moving Tommy to fullback means you lose his scoring prowess down the wings.

There are far more positives to bringing Richardson on board than there are to bringing swift on to the wing.

Yes its only Halifax and we'd be odds on to win with anyone at fullback but if it was a playoff game or final, which it could be I'd want all those positives in the team.

The only positive I can see that Tommy leads on is running the ball back from deep, which he can easily do as a winger as the fullback often passes to the wingers.

Got A Season Ticket

Tommy to FB is a ridiculous claim when we have Lomax/Fages/Richardson/Welsby ready to take on the 3 positions.
    Those claiming no Richardson are dumb AF. Take a look at previous games when one of Lomax/Fages/Coote weren't available - Richardson played and kicked for us.

This is a massive game. Yes it's Halifax, but we cannot take any risks. It would take the biggest underdog story in the history of RL to see an upset here - something we cannot simply afford to risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post
    Tommy to FB is a ridiculous claim when we have Lomax/Fages/Richardson/Welsby ready to take on the 3 positions.
    Those claiming no Richardson are dumb AF. Take a look at previous games when one of Lomax/Fages/Coote weren't available - Richardson played and kicked for us.

This is a massive game. Yes it's Halifax, but we cannot take any risks. It would take the biggest underdog story in the history of RL to see an upset here - something we cannot simply afford to risk.
    Yes just ask Wigoon after the Sheffield Eagles Cup Final Match.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I think Makinson at 1 is a bigger “experiment” than Richardson at 6 or 7 given that we’d have to change our style of play.
    Hardly an experiment - Makinson played the majority of the 2014 GF at Full back and look how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Hardly an experiment - Makinson played the majority of the 2014 GF at Full back and look how that turned out.
    I don't think Makinson at full back was the key factor in that game. Or are you suggesting the key to winning a gf is to lose all our halves and play second rowers in most decision making roles.

For me it’s quite simple. Lomax is an international full back so should play there. Makinson has been voted the worlds best winger so should play there.

Coote is our goal kicker and now absent. Richardson is a brilliant goal kicker so should play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsmerrrt View Post

You know it is possible to disagree with someone's opinion without attempting to discredit their intellectual capacity.

Its called debate.

Upside
    Non Members

Lomax to full back for me

I only saw highlights of the London game but was disappointed when DR made an excellent break and rather than use the inside man he dummied and went himself losing the ball. It was an moment of greed and self interest when his position requires him to be selfless at times

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Yes I get that but like I said in my post, in terms of us having to change the way we play it would be a bigger experiment to play Makinson at 1.
    He played there in 2014 out of necessity not choice.

Look at how many tries we’ve scored this year from cut-out passes from Coote (or Lomax). That’s a key part of how we set up in attack. For all of Makinson’s strengths, he isn’t going to execute that play. He’s going the get the ball from his half back and pin his head down and go for it. Our centres and wingers wouldn’t get a look in because Makinson simply isn’t a ball playing full back. That’s not a criticism of him; it’s just not his game.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Tommy to fullback and Swift on wing

Agree. Splitting up the halves to bring Richardson in is the last thing I want to see. Percy should be practicing with the kicking tee.

The decision needs to be made without any reference to the fact that ‘it’s only Halifax’. I just can’t see beyond Lomax at FB and DR next to Fages. Least disruptive option and we are not compromising the FB position.
    Of course we should be strong enough regardless of who plays where, but if we see an ‘unusual’ selection for this game I would question ask does JH get the fitters in big games?
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Do any of my fellow Saints fans think the team we put out against London would beat Halifax on Saturday?
    In any other game yes, but not a cup semi final.... ‘Fax will be fired right up for that!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    The decision needs to be made without any reference to the fact that ‘it’s only Halifax’.
    Exactly. Regardless of who we're playing, its a Challenge Cup Semi Final. We haven't been to Wembley since 2008 therefore this is a huge game. We go with our strongest team and go all out to win the game. We have a huge buffer in the league where we can afford to experiment but not in knock out games.

Lomax to 1, Fages to 6, Richardson to 7 - easy selection for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Noooobie

Didn’t Naiqama play full back in the NRL and for his country? Bring Costello in and move Naiqama to full back for me

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by hounddog View Post
    Didn’t Naiqama play full back in the NRL and for his country? Bring Costello in and move Naiqama to full back for me
    Yeah let's test this out in one of the most important games of the season.

Blimey.

Starting A Programme Collection

Can Costello play FB?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

This is a Challenge Cup Semi we have not been to Wembley for over 10 years....full strength team for me no resting. Probably best to put Jonny where Coote played and leave Danny in with a serious warning to behave and stick to the game plan.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Can't see past Lomax fages Richardson myself.

Danny will do a good job for us and this is a perfect example of why he's in the team. Think reacher has probably spelt it out the best. Plus we can't go back to Percy kicking, it's not just that he misses a few I think it has a knock on effect with his confidence during the rest of the game.

Starting A Programme Collection Armourer's Avatar

Same here we need Danny in for this one this is precisely what he is for, back up half back and Goal Kicker Johnny is a proven full back and both wings in full strike mode CoyS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I don't think Makinson at full back was the key factor in that game. Or are you suggesting the key to winning a gf is to lose all our halves and play second rowers in most decision making roles.
    I'm saying he's played there before in a high pressure game and he performed brilliantly. He's arguably a much better player now than he was in 2014 so its not much of a risk to move him there for the SF against Halifax

Got A Season Ticket

Lomax has been our best player this year, playing at 6. Know he has 1 on his back but he is an out and out 6 now, and I have real worries about how his knees would hold up playing FB now.I'd keep the half back pairing as it is, and have either Makinson or Welsby at FB. Know Welsby has been a bit hit and miss but think he should be given the chance. Don't think he can be judged too much on Sunday's game, and remember him having a blinder against Catalan on Easter Monday - was our best player that day for me