Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v London

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    There's a distinct possibility that the cc final and grand final could both be between Saints and Hull FC
    If Hull qualify for Wembley I think their league form will drop and Wigan may pinch third spot off them.
    If that is the case we could be on for another Saints v Wigan G F

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Disagree about Wigan mate. They were appalling against us and we’re still quite scrappy against a woeful Wakefield side the other night. They’re yet to beat anyone above them in the table too; they’ve been the archetypal flat track bullies this season.
    Disagree, we've struggled with lot's of players missing this season and the disruption that it causes, particularly in the pack. On Thursday we had two 18 year olds, one 19 year old and a 20 year old in there. From memory I think we have only finished one game this season with seventeen fit players i.e a full bench available in the last ten minutes. We haven't had the numbers available to bully anyone.

You fielded a young inexperienced side today ( I don't blame Saints for doing it) and look what happened.

What I will say is that IF we can get Flower, Bullock, O'Loughlin and Greenwood available then we may surprize a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Disagree, we've struggled with lot's of players missing this season and the disruption that it causes, particularly in the pack. On Thursday we had two 18 year olds, one 19 year old and a 20 year old in there. From memory I think we have only finished one game this season with seventeen fit players i.e a full bench available in the last ten minutes. We haven't had the numbers available to bully anyone.

You fielded a young inexperienced side today ( I don't blame Saints for doing it) and look what happened.

What I will say is that IF we can get Flower, Bullock, O'Loughlin and Greenwood available then we may surprize a few.
    You were lucky. Farrell has been due a good performance (not bagging him, he’s a quality player) and interceptions plus short kick off comedy flattered you against a team in free fall.

You were shown your level the week before by another team.

Who was that again?
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Banned

Here's a big question, do we think this current Saints team is as good if not better than the Daniel Anderson team that swept the board in 2006.?very close in my opinion
    Not even close.

Here's a big question, do we think this current Saints team is as good if not better than the Daniel Anderson team that swept the board in 2006.?very close in my opinion
    I think man for man there are less star players currently but as a team, providing they win trophies, you could make a case perhaps

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I'd put the 2006 - 08 squad above this one, that isn't a pop at this team at all but that squad was in every final and topped the league each year, we could have easily done the treble treble, even though we won 7 out of the 9 trophies available, it still pains me that we only won 1 grand final

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

We’ll see the effect of days like today in the future 100%. Obviously we’ll hopefully get the benefits of being able to rest players in the short term but we’ve seen over the last couple of years with various teams how injuries can effect a season, and there does seem to be more of them now in Super League especially. Certainly this year there have been teams with six, seven, eight players missing at some stages. If/when that happens to us whether it be this season, next season or the year after, we need the players who are outside the 17 to be able to come in and games like today will really help with that.

I didn’t see the game today but it sounds like they did their best and went at it for as long as they could so fair play to them.
    Last edited by Tez the Saint; 21st July 2019 at 21:53.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Learning All The Songs

No. Not by a long way I’m afraid

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Only if we win the LLS the CC and the GF can we consider that, relative to the fact that the player quality of super league across the board is weaker.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Only if we win the LLS the CC and the GF can we consider that, relative to the fact that the player quality of super league across the board is weaker.

I don't believe it is weaker

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I agree. It’s not as strong a league as it was then. Even if we sweep the board this year

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I agree. It’s not as strong a league as it was then. Even if we sweep the board this year
    I genuinely don't agree, granted we had some super stars in the league back then, but the amount of good pros now and the standard of the bottom teams is far greater IMO

I think it's rose coloured glasses sometimes, we remember the top games not all the rubbish in between

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    You don’t half post some rubbish.

Learning All The Songs

I agree with you Rogues, you have suffered on the injury front, that is a lottery, do you think with Williams gone next year will O `Loughlin play stand off? Will flower put in a full season whilst reaching his 30`s?, Will Greenwood (de you like that RU reference) blend in the back row seamless as he has in the past in the NRL, Will Bullock fulfill his potential this year? will .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........ yiz just admit this year you are shi@@

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Like good Friday?

Banned

The only way that that sh*thead surprises anyone on a rugby field is by punching them from behind.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I don't. Or at least not to the extent that most make out.

As for this team being stronger than 06, nah. There are some players from now I think would make a combined team, but that 06 team was bloody good.

This is the CCF side:

Paul Wellens
    Ade Gardner
    Jamie Lyon
    Willie Talau
    Francis Meli
    Leon Pryce
    Sean Long (c)
    Paul Anderson
    Keiron Cunningham
    Jason Cayless
    Paul Sculthorpe
    Jon Wilkin
    Jason Hooper

James Roby
    James Graham
    Lee Gilmour
    Maurie Fa'asavalu

Don't forget also how unlucky we were in 2005. After strolling to the LLS, the wheels came off with a glut of injuries - not least the thug Newton going on his mission to assault as many Saints players as he could.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Your side against us on the opening day when we comfortably beat you up front:

Wigan: Hardaker; Davies, Sarginson, Gildart, Marshall; Williams, Leuluai; Flower, Powell, Navarrete, Greenwood, Farrell, O'Loughlin
    Interchanges: Isa, Hamlin, Clubb, Bullock

Your team on Good Friday when beat you by 26 points:

Wigan: Hardaker; Davies, Hankinson, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Shorrocks; Flower, Leuluai, Navarrete, Isa, Smithies, Partington.
    Interchanges: O'Loughlin, Tautai, Bullock, Greenwood.

We are comfortably better than you this season, especially up front. Given the games you would face in the Play Offs before getting a chance against us, you would be massively up against it if you met us at any stage and if you were to be honest with yourself, you know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Banned

The 2006 is comfortably ahead of the 2019 team in my opinion. CAPITALS equal the better player in the position. If both players are lower case then equals even match up.

Paul WELLENS - Lachlan Coote
    Ade Gardner - Tommy MAKINSON
    Jamie LYON - Kevin Naiqama
    Willie TALAU - Mark Percival
    Francis Meli - Regan Grace (Meli edges it but struggling to forgive his series of GF blunders).
    Leon Pryce - Johnny Lomax
    Sean LONG (c) - Theo Fages
    Paul Anderson - Alex WALMSLEY
    Keiron Cunningham - James Roby
    Jason Cayless - Luke THOMPSON
    Paul SCULTHORPE - Zeb Taia
    Jon WILKIN - Dom Peyroux
    Jason Hooper - Morgan KNOWLES

James ROBY - Kyle Amor
    James GRAHAM- Lms
    Lee GILMOUR - Joseph Paulo
    Maurie FA'ASAVALU - Matty Lees

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post

Wigan: Hardaker; Davies, Sarginson, Gildart, Marshall; Williams, Leuluai; Flower, Powell, Navarrete, Greenwood, Farrell, O'Loughlin

Wigan: Hardaker; Davies, Hankinson, Gildart, Burgess; Williams, Shorrocks; Flower, Leuluai, Navarrete, Isa, Smithies, Partington.

We are comfortably better than you this season, especially up front. Given the games you would face in the Play Offs before getting a chance against us, you would be massively up against it if you met us at any stage and if you were to be honest with yourself, you know it.
    In the Good Friday game, Davies was effectively carted off because Wigan were so battered and bullied down the middle that they started to go lateral; it was another front row capitulation by the Wigan front row who were similarly dominated against the Roosters. I'm not sure why anyone in their right mind would be mentioning Flower as some sort of major upside; he's a bang average bully who disappears against teams with above average packs.

O Loughlin was a top player once but age seems to caught up with him. I'm glad Wigan have bandaged him up so many times of recent to play matches against us. You can see he's well and truly ••••ed. Greenwood is capable but little else and Bullock is ok. They hardly make you tremble though do they? The only thing missing from RG's usual bigotry was that there's some 16 year old whizz kid from Platt Waz ready to come through....

Wigan should be ok in the race for the play offs though, because there are so many average or poorly coached sides around them.
    Last edited by eddiewaringsflatcap; 22nd July 2019 at 11:12.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Haha excellent work mate. No need for me to add to this.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Oh dear Rogues. You've been taken to the cleaners here

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    The 2006 is comfortably ahead of the 2019 team in my opinion. CAPITALS equal the better player in the position. If both players are lower case then equals even match up.

Francis Meli - Regan Grace (Meli edges it but struggling to forgive his series of GF blunders).
    Jon WILKIN - Dom Peyroux

James ROBY - Kyle Amor
    James GRAHAM- Lms
    Great to compare the 2 sides. Would like to see the ages of players at the time compared to the players now.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post

Jon WILKIN - Dom Peyroux

James ROBY - Kyle Amor
    James GRAHAM- Lms
    Mostly agree. Thought Hooper was very underrated in that side though. He was a real grafter

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Mostly agree. Thought Hooper was very underrated in that side though. He was a real grafter
    I see a lot of Hooper in Knowles, neither being huge but both with great work ethics and both with fantastic defence.