Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Adams

Learning All The Songs

Default Tony Adams

Just read the RL page on BBC and Tony Adams is saying sponsorship of our two competitions is from large betting companies.
    We no longer have the coal industry to support our sport and that transport company deal...... enough said.
    Where can we get sponsorship Mr. Adams ? This man and Mr. Merson got Niall Quinn the boot from Arsenal as he was a bad influence on their drinking, their parents also having an input in the players lounge snubbing Quinny and pressuring some of the board. Sorry lads he should not have got the gig for us.
    I understand his point of view but addicts are a minority so unless he has an alternative shut the f@@k up.

Banned

No idea what he's done for RL to be honest other than take a wage. And I agree with you, we're hardly beating off sponsors with a stick so he needs to wind his neck in to be honest. I know he's had his problems and does good work with that sporting chance clinic but he has a job to do and if he can't do it with having to deal with a betting company he knows what to do. I didn't know that about him and Merson but that doesn't surprise me in the slightest, he's one man I wouldn't get sick of punching.

Banned

He's speaking sense. Gambling is a sickness, and parasitic scumbag bookmakers prey on the most vulnerable (and most offshore their online operations to dodge tax as well).

In an ideal world, all sports would tell these shysters to go f*** themselves and TV advertising of gambling would be banned.

Unfortunately, as you and Mr Angry say, RL struggles for sponsors, and at times in life one has to hold one's nose and swim in shit.

But that shouldn't stop us as a sport looking elsewhere for sponsorship if at all possible.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    He's speaking sense. Gambling is a sickness, and parasitic scumbag bookmakers prey on the most vulnerable (and most offshore their online operations to dodge tax as well).

In an ideal world, all sports would tell these shysters to go f*** themselves and TV advertising of gambling would be banned.

Unfortunately, as you and Mr Angry say, RL struggles for sponsors, and at times in life one has to hold one's nose and swim in shit.

But that shouldn't stop us as a sport looking elsewhere for sponsorship if at all possible.
    Aye, I wasn't saying we should be sponsored by bookies, just that we couldn't turn a good deal down.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Just read the RL page on BBC and Tony Adams is saying sponsorship of our two competitions is from large betting companies.
    We no longer have the coal industry to support our sport and that transport company deal...... enough said.
    Where can we get sponsorship Mr. Adams ? This man and Mr. Merson got Niall Quinn the boot from Arsenal as he was a bad influence on their drinking, their parents also having an input in the players lounge snubbing Quinny and pressuring some of the board. Sorry lads he should not have got the gig for us.
    I understand his point of view but addicts are a minority so unless he has an alternative shut the f@@k up.
    How about the sport properly building an attractive brand that partners want to buy into instead of consistently looking for short fix answers and appealing to the lowest denominators. Adams is right to a point and your over protective post does little for you to be honest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I wonder if next week's semi finals will be a sell out?
    I hope so but can't see it.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I wonder if next week's semi finals will be a sell out?
    Does anyone think they'll be up though with swapping Leeds and cats for hull and fax?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    How about the sport properly building an attractive brand that partners want to buy into instead of consistently looking for short fix answers and appealing to the lowest denominators. Adams is right to a point and your over protective post does little for you to be honest.
    As stated eddie I understand his points, he comes across as a negative towards our sport. Say this as an ambassador to our people in charge but unless he has a deal with a blue chip company shut up. That is not being overprotective it is merely hearing another outsider put us in a negative light. We live in a democracy were the majority rules therefore if 90% of the population have no issues with addiction why should he be our face with a minority view? Certainly have an opposition to any ruling body but this opposition must have a viable alternative not a negative outlook.
    How can we be an attractive brand when an ambassador views us in a negative way.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post

Your swimming analogy is spot on Webbo and I agree with the bookie points.
    It is debatable that gambling is a sickness, genetic or enviromental as with all addictions. I would say that most business preys on the vulnerable. My problem is why a reformed addict is president of our sport and stating that an addiction problem affecting a minority warrants a change for everyone? He does not want it normalised surely this is self defeating. He is also highlighting negatives from our sport`s sponsor options. Draw attention to it if you have an alternative Mr. President.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Getting back on terrestrial tv is the key to this. It is a very difficult situation. If the game is only available to 200k on sky each friday night it is a difficult sell on your own and the Sky money would take some replacing.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Sorry but if you are looking for an ethical sponsor with money you are going to struggle.

Betting
    Alcohol

Fairly easy

How about a nice ftse 100 company like BP or Shell. Only responsible for pumping stuff out the ground that will cause world wide flooding.

Airlines well they use tonnes of the stuff produced above.

I know what about those lovely boys in the city. Banks, insurance companies and investment companies. Well unless you have only been alive since 2010 most know what their ethics are like. Gambling at a higher stakes table.

Groceres they are honest chaps unless they happen to be fiddling the book, driving cheap clothing or producing packaging that ends up polluting the very food chain that they then supply to us.

Arms manufacturers????

IT companies, you know those lovely boys at Facebook, Google, amazon who have no issues at all and have plenty of cash given they pay so little in corporation tax.

Cosmetics companies - animal testing and creating self esteme issues for generations of females and some males.

I could go on but you get the point.

When people hope for these mythical unicorn companies who have bags of cash ready to sponsor a sports club or league system, but yet are as honest and beneficial to society as a charity (who also have issues).

I just become astounded at the levels of naivety

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    Sorry but if you are looking for an ethical sponsor with money you are going to struggle.

Betting
    Alcohol

Fairly easy

How about a nice ftse 100 company like BP or Shell. Only responsible for pumping stuff out the ground that will cause world wide flooding.

I know what about those lovely boys in the city. Banks, insurance companies and investment companies. Well unless you have only been alive since 2010 most know what their ethics are like. Gambling at a higher stakes table.

Groceres they are honest chaps unless they happen to be fiddling the book, driving cheap clothing or producing packaging that ends up polluting the very food chain that they then supply to us.

Arms manufacturers????

IT companies, you know those lovely boys at Facebook, Google, amazon who have no issues at all and have plenty of cash given they pay so little in corporation tax.

Cosmetics companies - animal testing and creating self esteme issues for generations of females and some males.

When people hope for these mythical unicorn companies who have bags of cash ready to sponsor a sports club or league system, but yet are as honest and beneficial to society as a charity (who also have issues).

Spot on, the world is a horrible place and unfortunately to get on you sometimes have to make hard decisions. No one forces anyone to have a bet or a drink, and yes, I appreciate addiction is an illness. I've had my own issues but I wouldn't for a minute expect the general public to pander to me.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Getting back on terrestrial tv is the key to this. It is a very difficult situation. If the game is only available to 200k on sky each friday night it is a difficult sell on your own and the Sky money would take some replacing.
    Spot on, look at the Cricket World Cup, 4.5 million watched the final, in comparison to 450k who watched the semi final on sky.. that's a much easier sell for advertisers..

On a similar note I wonder if it would be worth a mid season break for tests and the world cup, obviously the NRL would have to buy in, however any decent audience of the test series is lost from November till the start of the season.. as mentioned above Lancashire shifted close to a thousand tickets for a 20/20 for this Sunday, the day after the world cup final

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Agree totally. I think other sports are slowly understanding (apart from football) the value of free to air TV again. In truth Sky are also trying to look good in this area. That’s why they allowed the cricket WCF on Channel 4. With a few other media outlets starting to show interest in sports.. ( Prime, Netflix, Facebook etc) it’s becoming difficult for fans to afford all the different platforms if you are a fan of many sports.
    That said there are indications that we are hitting saturation point both on a cost basis and just being too many places to find different sports and indeed normal TV stuff. Netflix put up their subscription recently and have lost loads of viewers in doing so.
    If channel 4 take up showing Championship rugby as is muted it could be a game changer for RL. I know we need the money, but if SL could get a free to air deal it would be the best thing that could happen to us.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Agree totally. I think other sports are slowly understanding (apart from football) the value of free to air TV again. In truth Sky are also trying to look good in this area. That’s why they allowed the cricket WCF on Channel 4. With a few other media outlets starting to show interest in sports.. ( Prime, Netflix, Facebook etc) it’s becoming difficult for fans to afford all the different platforms if you are a fan of many sports.
    That said there are indications that we are hitting saturation point both on a cost basis and just being too many places to find different sports and indeed normal TV stuff. Netflix put up their subscription recently and have lost loads of viewers in doing so.
    If channel 4 take up showing Championship rugby as is muted it could be a game changer for RL. I know we need the money, but if SL could get a free to air deal it would be the best thing that could happen to us.
    I have a feeling that for the next broadcasting deal the game may have to put together bits and pieces rather than selling exclusive rights to one broadcaster (I just can't see Sky offering us anything other than a reduced deal). This would probably mean a significant hit in guaranteed income, but might serve us well in the long run for the reasons you state. It's much easier to sell to investors/sponsors a sport that people are aware of and that is regularly watched by millions rather than thousands. The problem is whether we'd be able to turn out a product worth watching in the initial years.

Got A Season Ticket

It's right, we have a limited choice of sponsors; I used to be firm in saying that we shouldn't touch betting, but I've changed my view: sponsorship should give us the chance to pressure betting firms into funding treatments and into developing more acceptable formats.
    On free to air tv, absolutely we should move heaven and earth to get back there.

Banned

As stated eddie I understand his points, he comes across as a negative towards our sport. Say this as an ambassador to our people in charge but unless he has a deal with a blue chip company shut up. That is not being overprotective it is merely hearing another outsider put us in a negative light. We live in a democracy were the majority rules therefore if 90% of the population have no issues with addiction why should he be our face with a minority view? Certainly have an opposition to any ruling body but this opposition must have a viable alternative not a negative outlook.
    How can we be an attractive brand when an ambassador views us in a negative way.
    But that isn't Tony Adams' terms of reference is it? It isn't the ambassadors responsibility to find commercial partners for the sport. In this instance the ambassador should be applauded for effectively highlighting one of the biggest problems RL face; commercial credibility and finding what you have called 'blue chip' partners.

The problem is that sponsorship died in the 1990's, more so since Marlboro Friday. The concept of just chucking a wad of money at something for naming rights belongs firmly back in the last millennia. Forward looking organisations are looking for partners to create/reinforce an image/persona of them as "attitude" brands, ones that appeal as a 'lifestyle choice' for their consumers.

The issue here is that whilst RL can take money off BetFred as a short term fix, it perpetuates a vicious cycle of a sport that's is perceived negatively and can only find the lowest denominators. As the sport takes the money from what is perceived as a 'dirty' industry it continues to make itself less attractive to more glamorous organisations (and often more lucrative deals). I note the point above that all industries have ethical question marks, but the reality is that perception matters and most people are guaranteed to look more unfavourably on say Billy Hill than they are on Waitrose.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Thought exactly the same when I saw his comments yesterday.
    Not heard anything from / about him since he became associated with our sport and now this.
    Shows how very little he knows about the sport overall - he probably thinks he's involved with RU with their appeal ( for all the reasons we know ) to sponsors.
    Really don't know what Adams brings to our game
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Perhaps he's related to sweet Fanny Adams. He sent her to represent him....

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    Thought exactly the same when I saw his comments yesterday.
    Not heard anything from / about him since he became associated with our sport and now this.
    Shows how very little he knows about the sport overall - he probably thinks he's involved with RU with their appeal ( for all the reasons we know ) to sponsors.
    Last week I may have agreed with you ...... but have since learnt that despite being announced as President months ago Adams only takes up the role this month.

Let's give him a chance - his input input into State of Mind is and will be important.

Quote Originally Posted by saint_claire View Post
    perhaps he's related to sweet fanny adams. He sent her to represent him....
    lol!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Last week I may have agreed with you ...... but have since learnt that despite being announced as President months ago Adams only takes up the role this month.

Let's give him a chance - his input input into State of Mind is and will be important.
    Wasn't aware of that, thanks for the heads up. Just hope that he gets himself a good understanding of the environment we operate in though before he makes any sweeping pronouncements.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    But that isn't Tony Adams' terms of reference is it? It isn't the ambassadors responsibility to find commercial partners for the sport. In this instance the ambassador should be applauded for effectively highlighting one of the biggest problems RL face; commercial credibility and finding what you have called 'blue chip' partners.

The problem is that sponsorship died in the 1990's, more so since Marlboro Friday. The concept of just chucking a wad of money at something for naming rights belongs firmly back in the last millennia. Forward looking organisations are looking for partners to create/reinforce an image/persona of them as "attitude" brands, ones that appeal as a 'lifestyle choice' for their consumers.

The issue here is that whilst RL can take money off BetFred as a short term fix, it perpetuates a vicious cycle of a sport that's is perceived negatively and can only find the lowest denominators. As the sport takes the money from what is perceived as a 'dirty' industry it continues to make itself less attractive to more glamorous organisations (and often more lucrative deals). I note the point above that all industries have ethical question marks, but the reality is that perception matters and most people are guaranteed to look more unfavourably on say Billy Hill than they are on Waitrose.
    Eddie I suspect we do not differ too much on this, with the exception that Adams remit is not to run down our sport under the guise of bringing it to people`s attention as much as is his duty to find sponsorship. Go in to a board meeting and highlight your concern and where in the future we should be attached to, that buzz phrase "business partners".
    Where are these glamorous organisations with good ethics eddie ?
    Beware has eloquently referenced their downfall on the very well written above post.
    One of our most successful athletes of all time Steve Redgrave had to take Lottery funding for support, Canada Life came on board for Olympic year but his wife and a gambling (better to call Lottery gaming it`s more glamorous) organisation funding his winning.
    If a sport that is dyed in the wool Cambridge/Oxford recognised with two famous athletes and an address of Henley On Thames cannot gain sponsorship other than dirty money companies handouts, we have no chance.
    I do not want this man near our sport in any way shape or form. He has in that article said RL and soccer are bedfellows, go and f@@k yourself Tony, our top lads earn less in a year than average Premier footballer`s earn in a week. I want his resignation now, big mouth, brain dead fool of a man.
    Last edited by Tallaght Tiger; 18th July 2019 at 18:06.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post

Betting
    Alcohol

Fairly easy

Arms manufacturers????

I have read some brilliantly written posts on this forum, this is up there with any of them.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Hasn't Adams had issues with drink and gambling in the past?

I see where he's coming from but as others have said these are the businesses that sponsor sports. How many football teams have bookies as sponsors?

Historically RL has been sponsored by booze, fags & bookies

Slalom lager, Embassy, Coral, John Player, Stones bitter have all sponsored our competitions

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk