Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre squad announcement thread

Banned

Default Pre squad announcement thread

Just a little bit of fun, what would your team for the London game be?

1. Welsby
    2. Swift
    3. Naiqama
    4. Costello/Simm
    5. Grace
    6 Richardson
    7. Fages
    8. Ashworth
    9. Smith
    10. Amor
    11. Bentley
    12. Peyroux
    13. Paulo if fit, if not Knowles

14. Thompson
    15. LMS
    16. Roby
    17. Lees

He most likely won't go anything like that but I'm really not too worried if we lose and that team should still give London a game.

Got A Season Ticket

We know certain players are defo not playing due to it being a 4G pitch and I would go with an even younger team. So I would go for.....

1. Welsby
    2. Swift
    3. Costello
    4. Simm
    5. Grace
    6. Richardson
    7. Fages
    8. Ashworth
    9. Smith
    10. Lees
    11. Bentley
    12. Batchelor
    13. Paulo

14. Eaves
    15. Amor
    16. Knowles
    17. Dodd ??

It would be up there with one of the youngest teams to play in Super League and would be full of enthusiasm. 10 points clear and nothing to lose

In The South Stand

It wont be the first time Saints have done it in London I cant remember when but we fielded a team one year and almost all of them where out of our academy and also very young.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    It wont be the first time Saints have done it in London I cant remember when but we fielded a team one year and almost all of them where out of our academy and also very young.
    I would love London to stay up but Hull K R and Huddersfield would be understanderbly be a bit miffed if we sent a really understrength team down, not to say the Rugby League . I'm sure there are a few doctors notes already signed up, but hopefully not too many, you can just as easily get hurt in full on training session, speaking of which Holbrook has already come out with his concerns about keeping the team fit when /if we win the first eliminator and then have to wait several weeks for the final

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I would love London to stay up but Hull K R and Huddersfield would be understanderbly be a bit miffed if we sent a really understrength team down, not to say the Rugby League . I'm sure there are a few doctors notes already signed up, but hopefully not too many, you can just as easily get hurt in full on training session, speaking of which Holbrook has already come out with his concerns about keeping the team fit when /if we win the first eliminator and then have to wait several weeks for the final
    No concern of mine, we have a squad and have every right to use it. Why should we do anyone any favours that don't suit our own agenda? I'd also like to see Leeds relegated

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Teams regularly post under strength teams before semis and finals so sod what the rest of the league think. Holbrook should do whatever he thinks we need to do to be at 100% for the semi final and hopefully final as well.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

Didn't we send practically an academy side to Catalans and only lose in the last minute - pre Cup Final?

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Didn't we send practically an academy side to Catalans and only lose in the last minute - pre Cup Final?
    We did -I was there -the game was played on some kind of municipal pitch in Canet Plage with moveable bleachers for stands. It was absolutely sweltering that day and there were lots of Saints supporters in the crowd. If I remember it rightly only Jammer, Fozzard and Gilmour played from the first team and they had Stacey Jones playing for them. We were winning until the last minute when someone kicked a drop out on the full, they tapped the penalty and scored. A fantastic weekend was had by all - despite the result.

Got A Season Ticket

Just a thought, its halifax next week on paper far and away our easiest game of the season do we really need to rest players other than those that it would be a disadvantage to play on plastic?
    i say strongest team with the pitch in mind, not saying be disrespectfull to halifax but anybody with knock that is the game to rest them.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

I would fully agree with that if it wasn't for the fact we are 10 points clear on the league.

I'd use this game to give some of the junior members of the squad more first team experience against a Super League team.

I think we can do this with a clear conscience as teams in many sports rest players before a big game like a semi final.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Delighted! View Post
    Just a thought, its halifax next week on paper far and away our easiest game of the season do we really need to rest players other than those that it would be a disadvantage to play on plastic?
    i say strongest team with the pitch in mind, not saying be disrespectfull to halifax but anybody with knock that is the game to rest them.
    I want us to put 100 on Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by Delighted! View Post
    Absolutely not. We can't take semi finals lightly. Our record in recent years is appalling.

Rest as many as possible for London, go into the semi with a full team raring to go & stick a cricket score on Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Absolutely not. We can't take semi finals lightly. Our record in recent years is appalling.

Rest as many as possible for London, go into the semi with a full team raring to go & stick a cricket score on Halifax.
    Agree. What advantage would a win in London give us? It’s a convenient time to give the bulk of the team a week or so in the sun with their families/mates and come back fully charged for the run in. Even if they do come back scratchy against Halifax, as they tend to after time off, it ought not to matter

Banned

It's also important to give those just out of the first team some game time. Never know when we'll be forced to call on Richardson or Welsby or Swift, and better not to have them totally rusty.

I just don't like losing full stop.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think we'll see 6 or 7 rested this week, full strength for the Semi and then after the Halifax cup game we'll see 3 or 4 (maybe even 5) rested against Wakefield at home. After that I can see us going full strength again in the lead upto the final (assuming we get there) to build some momentum.

I can see something similar to last time we played London, which gives those who played badly on the day the chance to redeem themselves:

Welsby
    Swift
    Naiqama
    Costello
    Grace
    Fages
    Richardson
    Lees
    Smith
    Thompson
    Peyroux
    Bentley
    Knowles

Bench:
    Ashworth
    LMS
    Batchelor
    Amor

Coote, Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Walmsley all given a rest with Roby and Paolo being given another week to get over their injuries. Taia still out and apparently due back against Wakey so can give Peyroux a rest then. If we play better than last time that team is capable of getting the win, although London will be desperate again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    We know certain players are defo not playing due to it being a 4G pitch and I would go with an even younger team. So I would go for.....

1. Welsby
    2. Swift
    3. Costello
    4. Simm
    5. Grace
    6. Richardson
    7. Fages
    8. Ashworth
    9. Smith
    10. Lees
    11. Bentley
    12. Batchelor
    13. Paulo

14. Eaves
    15. Amor
    16. Knowles
    17. Dodd ??

It would be up there with one of the youngest teams to play in Super League and would be full of enthusiasm. 10 points clear and nothing to lose
    This was more or less the team I came up with and we should do what suits us best, we have earned that right by being 10 pts clear of the rest.

I don't like losing but would be happy to let this one go to :
    1 - Preserve our top players for the bigger games ahead
    2 - Give some of the younger lads valuable game time
    3 - Donate 2 pts to the relegate Leeds campaign
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post

1. Welsby
    2. Swift
    3. Costello
    4. Simm
    5. Grace
    6. Richardson
    7. Fages
    8. Ashworth
    9. Smith
    10. Lees
    11. Bentley
    12. Batchelor
    13. Paulo

14. Eaves
    15. Amor
    16. Knowles
    17. Dodd ??

This +1

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

Agreed. It’ll be the game of their life for some of the Halifax players and I don’t want to see even the notion of it being close. Give them both barrels and stick as many points as possible on them.

Noooobie

Sadly hull won’t send much of a team to Leeds but on the plus side neither will w@nky to cas

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...e-london-trip/

Looks like it'll practically be a reserve team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

If we accept what JH said re players not playing it will be 9 first team players not going ( including Roby).
    Wonder how many Saints fans will decide not to travel. I’m still going but don’t expect there to be anywhere near as many as last time out.
    Fridays squad announcement will be fun. Expect some shouts of us being disrespectful and helping London etc...
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Coote looked like he was away on Twitter the other day

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Yes we are ten points clear,, plus if Leeds beat Hull FC Sunday,, we are mathematically certain of a top 2 place
    I'd rather Hull beat Leeds

Based on that something like:

1. Makinson
    2. Swift
    3. Simm
    4. Costello
    5. Grace
    6. Welsby
    7. Richardson
    8. Lees
    9. Smith
    10. LMS
    11. Paulo
    12. Bentley
    13. Knowles

14. Amor
    15. Ashworth
    16. Batchelor
    17. Cooper

18. Eaves
    19. Hazzard

That’s based on Coote, Percival, Lomax, Fages, Naiqama, Thompson, Walmsley, Roby, Taia and Peyroux all missing out. Anyone any ideas on any other players who might step up from the u19’s? The selection above is using those with 1st team squad numbers and assuming Douglas won’t be recalled from Leigh.