Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Atmosphere

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Atmosphere

Why does it seem like all away fans out sing us?? The wigan fans made a hell of a lot more noise than we did last night.

Losers always put more effort it. Siege mentality and all that

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Losers always put more effort it. Siege mentality and all that
    Yes it is also a sort of false Bravado eg the way they celebrated their try as if it was a match winning last minute try.

Basically it's to cover up the fact that they were poor

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by cardiffboi View Post
    Why does it seem like all away fans out sing us?? The wigan fans made a hell of a lot more noise than we did last night.
    On a slightly different note, if Wigan sold out their standing tickets, Saints should apply for the safety certificate capacity to be enlarged, from where I was sat there appeared to be plenty of space for more speccies particularly towards the corners, also quite a few hospitality seats did not appear to have been taken up. A good crowd of just over 17,000 but despite the announcement it did not appear to be a sell out

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    On a slightly different note, if Wigan sold out their standing tickets, Saints should apply for the safety certificate capacity to be enlarged, from where I was sat there appeared to be plenty of space for more speccies particularly towards the corners, also quite a few hospitality seats did not appear to have been taken up. A good crowd of just over 17,000 but despite the announcement it did not appear to be a sell out
    There were clumps of empty seats from what I could see too but I suppose at this time of year a lot of ST holders might be away

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Woolyback View Post
    I think it was mentioned that Wigan had returned some of their allocation.

Problem with hospitality seating is that some of the guests will stay in the boxes and not use their seats. Years ago a firm I used to work for sponsored matches at Knowsley Road, it was done to entertain clients and customers but there was usually quite a few no shows.

There would also have been season ticket holders who are away on holiday or missing through other commitments.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Its almost always like that away fans always show more bravado. When we are at Warrington and Wigan there home fans always say something similar.

Learning All The Songs

The Wigan end looked nowhere near full, loads of space all over. The East is slightly bigger but not by much.

It was a strange one last night. Big crowd, but just didn’t feel like a derby.

Got A Season Ticket

Because singing has always been a football thing to cover the periods when nothing is happening from where we sat in the North stand the pies were very noisy but the average age of the noisy ones was 14 - 17 Saints fans are way older than that !

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Because singing has always been a football thing to cover the periods when nothing is happening from where we sat in the North stand the pies were very noisy but the average age of the noisy ones was 14 - 17 Saints fans are way older than that !
    When I did a season in the North stand I was surprised how quiet the home fans seemed compared to the away. May be something to do with the acoustics of the ground.

I thought the atmosphere was good personally. Certainly better than the first home game v Wigan this year

It must be me. It was bouncing where I sit.

Got A Season Ticket

Wigan returned some of their North Stand seating tickets which went out for resale.
    They also failed to sell (500ish?) East Stand tickets but Saints decided not to open pay at the turnstiles presumably as a precaution as Saints supporters may have bought them.

Got A Season Ticket

Well I thought the atmosphere was good and it did feel like a derby. Until about 60 minutes in.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I thought the atmosphere was good personally. Certainly better than the first home game v Wigan this year
    So did I Sean , to be honest sat in the South many of those around me were singing and clapping along as was so many of the North , far more than I have ever seen before. I thought the halftime entertainment was absolutely superb in more ways than one , so many kids were on the pitch it was a joy to see and the "truck" lol, and yes so many saying it's to dump the Wigan lot in had me chuckling. Secondly the girl sat next to me was the mother of one of the kids on the park , and no before someone says "freebee" you don't get freebies for the South , she absolutely loved it clapping and singing along and even said to me " it's good here init - love it" . This is the future support of our great club , whoever is responsible deserves a good word in he's/her ear well done .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Because singing has always been a football thing to cover the periods when nothing is happening
    Actually, as somebody who watches both sports, that's a load of cobblers.

Singing is usually related to emotion or times when encouragement is needed. When bored, as you often can be at rugby too, it doesn't inspire me to sing.

The reality is that away fans always tend to out-sing home fans, whoever it is, wherever it is, whether it be football or rugby. It's no sad indicment on the home support, it's just the way it works.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

Singing is usually related to emotion or times when encouragement is needed. When bored, as you often can be at rugby too, it doesn't inspire me to sing.

The reality is that away fans always tend to out-sing home fans, whoever it is, wherever it is, whether it be football or rugby. It's no sad indicment on the home support, it's just the way it works.
    Never heard the kop out sung by away fans in over 50 years.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Never heard of anywhere else were your mate would have a slash down your leg either.

Got A Season Ticket

I had to stand on the walk way all the first half as there was simply nowhere else to go. The steward told us we had to move and we said if you can find us some space we will happily move. There's absolutely nothing stopping people moving from the south into the west and if it was a sell out its clear that's what happened as there was plenty of empty seats in the south stand towards the west stand.

Got A Season Ticket

Also regarding the flares there's videos going around of the Wigan East terrace on fire. They can be seen on the Instagram account @rl_awaydays and some bright spark decided to set a flare off and throw it into the road of the Steve Prescott Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Now come on. I've been there with Utd & that's been done easily on more than one occasion

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post

I watch both sports also and in 50 years of watching rugby at saints its not been a haven for choirboys or sopranos (the Scaff burst into song a few times but not the wall of noise inspired by emotion) however as a season ticket holder for Old Trafford there is rarely a "quiet" moment and the Stretford end is usually singing to take the P*ss out of someone or other

Just my opinion of course

Noooobie

There is actually some genuine 'science' behind why this is the case. The fans that follow there team to away games are the more hardcore, enthusiastic element in general so having all these people concentrated together in one stand concentrates all the sound makers together. There is also the fact you are in someone else's ground, surrounded by larger numbers of 'the enemy' that's makes human nature want to appear larger in number and more aggressive/confident than they actually are.

Banned

Ah. The irony of a Wiganer that trolls this board moaning about fans goading each other