Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Sporting Dilemma

Learning All The Songs

Default Sporting Dilemma

On the Justin thread there is a lot of speculation and on the Wigan match some are saying it is not an important match...So here goes for a bit of fun see if it matters

Barring a major sequence of disasters we have the LLS and are at Wembley, the sporting Gods are offering a deal
    GF or CC ( Louie has stated he wants the CC to complete his set and play in his home city).

GF for me, but losing at Wembley to Wire as a possibility OUCH................ losing to Hull...............ouch.

A GF loss to either Lancashire side especially Wigan for a Wembley win I don`t think so.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

We will finish top of the league. For us to not make Old Trafford we would have to lose 2 consecutive home games. That is really hard to imagine. We should get to Old Trafford. I think that the cup final will have big significance for us. We are considered the bottlers of the sport. If we can get the Challenge Cup in the bag we will get that big game monkey off our back and be a real force in the play offs IMO.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    We will finish top of the league. For us to not make Old Trafford we would have to lose 2 consecutive home games. That is really hard to imagine. We should get to Old Trafford. I think that the cup final will have big significance for us. We are considered the bottlers of the sport. If we can get the Challenge Cup in the bag we will get that big game monkey off our back and be a real force in the play offs IMO.
    Sorry bit of fun fishy the Gods are offering a deal one or thudder.............what would ya take?

Learning All The Songs

I think that the cup final will have big significance for us. We are considered the bottlers of the sport. If we can get the Challenge Cup in the bag we will get that big game monkey off our back and be a real force in the play offs IMO.
    This. The Challenge Cup is the most important psychologically. If we don't win that then it'll be much tougher mentally to get through and win a grand final. Not winning the cup at this point removes any fear factor for the opposition when we're in a tight play-off game. In recent years we've been bottling semi-finals, not sure how we'd cope if this squad started losing finals as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Sorry bit of fun fishy the Gods are offering a deal one or thudder.............what would ya take?
    Haha sorry pal i wasn’t paying enough attention

Grand final win is more important to me mate simply for the title of champions.

Challenge Cup every time for me. I remember my family being completely made up when we won it in 1996 after 8 Wigan wins on the trot

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    This. The Challenge Cup is the most important psychologically. If we don't win that then it'll be much tougher mentally to get through and win a grand final. Not winning the cup at this point removes any fear factor for the opposition when we're in a tight play-off game. In recent years we've been bottling semi-finals, not sure how we'd cope if this squad started losing finals as well.
    Exactly pal. We need to get to Wembley and not only turn up on the day but actually win it. We need to take our league form into a big game. We are capable of pasting either Hull or Warrington. We should belt them at Wembley and get rid of the bottlers tag.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Challenge Cup every time for me. I remember my family being completely made up when we won it in 1996 after 8 Wigan wins on the trot
    Yeah Ralph agree with you on the 1996 but the deal is one or the other, if we won the CC the thought of possibly losing a GF to Wigan hurts my head, they`d be winners two years in a row........... no Ralph even a loss to Wire at Wembley is better than a loss to them at Old Trafford.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    No Private its a hypothetical deal the Gods are offering you now. What would you shake on CC or GF??

Yeah Ralph agree with you on the 1996 but the deal is one or the other, if we won the CC the thought of possibly losing a GF to Wigan hurts my head, they`d be winners two years in a row........... no Ralph even a loss to Wire at Wembley is better than a loss to them at Old Trafford.
    Ah right I didn't realise my fault apologies. Read it wrong.

Still go for the CC. Trophy required urgently

Learning All The Songs

No Private its a hypothetical deal the Gods are offering you now. What would you shake on CC or GF??
    Ah right, Grand Final then. Years ago it would have been the cup but the romance isn't what it once was

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Yes the challenge Cup is an historic trophy to win but let's be honest, the top superleague teams only have to win 4 games to be at Wembley,,, is that really a competition???? Grand Final is far more better to win in my opinion
    If you are a remotely decent team you will finish in the top 5. Therefore you could argue that the Grand Final is only a couple of consecutive wins away. They are very similar competitions imo. The main reason i favour the Grand Final is because it awards champions status and Old Trafford is 20 minutes away. Trudging all the way to shitty london isn’t my cup of tea. Win lose or draw i like Cardiff. The cup would have more appeal if the final was played in Cardiff IMO.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

GF nowadays. But, a few years ago it would have been Wembley every time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Grand final. Every time. I don’t know how there’s a debate it’s like asking if you’d rather win the premier league or FA cup.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Wembley for me everytime.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Got A Season Ticket zerohero1266's Avatar

Challenge Cup everytime.
    Great day out & a competition that actually means something & has a lot of history behind it.

In The South Stand

Challenge Cup

This is a bit like being asked which leg you’d rather have amputated. I’d probably go for the Challenge Cup and hope we lose in the play-off semi so I needn’t bother watching the Grand Final (as per 2018).

Cup finals ok its just a bitch of a drive back after losing. I’ll never forget the coach back from Scotland in 2002. Pulling into the services for a pee break and getting so much stick from the goons. Wanted to die

Cup finals ok its just a bitch of a drive back after losing. I’ll never forget the coach back from Scotland in 2002. Pulling into the services for a pee break and getting so much stick from the goons. Wanted to die
    I learnt from the return coach trip in 1989. Since then I’ve always driven and if I’m not staying overnight and we’ve lost (as was the case at Murrayfield) I’ve hammered it and not stopped en route.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Yes the challenge Cup is an historic trophy to win but let's be honest, the top superleague teams only have to win 4 games to be at Wembley,,, is that really a competition???? Grand Final is far more better to win in my opinion
    Eventually there will be an "undeserved" Grand Final Winner from 5th place who are close to a relegation position than the league leaders position. For example Leeds could clinch 5th spot with 26 pts (losing 16 games) say 8 pts away from a relegated position, they could beat Saints in the final who finished top with 52 pts (losing 3 games).

On the preference, I'm with Louie and go for the Challenge Cup much better looking trophy with a great amount of history.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Challenge cup and see where it goes with one under the belt.
    Learned comment from The Don

I’d absolutely love us to win the cup, but if it were a choice between the two I’d take the SL title every time.