Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something has just got me thinking

Banned

Default Something has just got me thinking

I wonder how difficult/costly it would be to set up a subscription Saints TV channel and steam live games as last night I missed the game, next week I'll miss it and regularly do so. We obviously record games for training and youtube so the camera's are already there, I wouldn't be bothered about no commentary and I'd happily pay a tenner a month for it. I'm sure plenty of others who either live or work abroad would be of a similar view I can think of at least half a dozen friends who would use this kind of service.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Don't Wigan have this?
    Perhaps someone could tell us all about how it works for them?

...lights blue touch paper and stands well back!

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    Don't Wigan have this?

He’s told us before

I don't think live streaming would be viable as it would probably breach the exclusivity of the Sky contract (although in a couple of years we could be in a very different landscape). I think Wigan TV shows the matches after a couple of days, and also shows the academy games live, I think. I'd consider paying for a service like that as long as it wasn't too expensive.

Banned

Don't Wigan have this?

Brian, NO ONE CARES BEFORE YOU START!!!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don't think live streaming would be viable as it would probably breach the exclusivity of the Sky contract (although in a couple of years we could be in a very different landscape). I think Wigan TV shows the matches after a couple of days, and also shows the academy games live, I think. I'd consider paying for a service like that as long as it wasn't too expensive.
    Yeah possibly you're right about Sky although surely if it's not on TV then maybe it would be one for the lawyers. Probably just because I'm bored and it bugs me missing games although obviously not that much as I can't be bothered going half the time.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Don't Wigan have this?

There you go.

https://tv.wiganwarriors.com/

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    Wigan TV can't show the first team matches live as this would contravene the SL deal with SKY. There is a live audio feed of WISH FM commentary for all first team matches. We get the tries/highlights a couple of hours after the match and extended (15mins) highlights the following day. They aren't allowed to put a full match on till midnight Sunday due to the SKY deal not allowing full matches to be shown until the entire weeks round of matches has been played.

Several U19s and women's matches are shown live (think its 12 a season). We get most U19s, women's and U16s highlights and full matches broadcast after they have been played. We also have pre-match and post match interviews from the first team and a monthly magazine type program. Ian Lenegan is interviewed in depth on there for approx. 30 mins a couple of times a year. There is also an extensive back catalogue of old matches to watch as well.

Cost is £36 a year with shorter deals also available for a higher cost.

Personally I think all SL clubs should look at doing similar to increase their revenue streams.
    Last edited by doc; 6th July 2019 at 15:40. Reason: forgot to mention another past of service

£36 a year sounds very reasonable for what you pies seem to be getting. I guess live games would be more difficult for reasons already mentioned above, but I would expect plenty of interest in recorded games a day or so after the event. Any idea what the take up is on Wigan TV? Do they show adverts (another income stream)?

Sorry AD if I'm hijacking your thread! I think that you're on to something here but I do think it's worth asking our friends from over the hill for more details of their service.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Wigan TV can't show the first team matches live as this would contravene the SL deal with SKY. There is a live audio feed of WISH FM commentary for all first team matches. We get the tries/highlights a couple of hours after the match and extended (15mins) highlights the following day. They aren't allowed to put a full match on till midnight Sunday due to the SKY deal not allowing full matches to be shown until the entire weeks round of matches has been played.

Several U19s and women's matches are shown live (think its 12 a season). We get most U19s, women's and U16s highlights and full matches broadcast after they have been played. We also have pre-match and post match interviews from the first team and a monthly magazine type program. Ian Lenegan is interviewed in depth on there for approx. 30 mins a couple of times a year. There is also an extensive back catalogue of old matches to watch as well.

Cost is £36 a year with shorter deals also available for a higher cost.

Personally I think all SL clubs should look at doing similar to increase their revenue streams.
    I bet that's riveting.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I bet that's riveting.
    I bet it is.

Gets enough time on Emmerdale 4 nights a week or whatever it is

WARNING! PIE EATER!

£36 a year sounds very reasonable for what you pies seem to be getting. I guess live games would be more difficult for reasons already mentioned above, but I would expect plenty of interest in recorded games a day or so after the event. Any idea what the take up is on Wigan TV? Do they show adverts (another income stream)?

Sorry AD if I'm hijacking your thread! I think that you're on to something here but I do think it's worth asking our friends from over the hill for more details of their service.
    No ads yet but might come later as we get a bigger audience. No idea on the number of subscribers but think they would have scrapped it by now if it wasn't a worthwhile exercise as its been going three or four years now. All clubs need to film matches for their own coaching needs and the disciplinary process so I guess that putting it out as an online TV service helps cover the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    No ads yet but might come later as we get a bigger audience. No idea on the number of subscribers but think they would have scrapped it by now if it wasn't a worthwhile exercise as its been going three or four years now. All clubs need to film matches for their own coaching needs and the disciplinary process so I guess that putting it out as an online TV service helps cover the expense.
    I hadn't realised that it had been going for so long which makes me wonder why other clubs haven't followed suit. I'm sure clubs talk to each other and share basic info. Perhaps Saints feel that it isn't worth it?
    Thanks anyway for the details.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

I hadn't realised that it had been going for so long which makes me wonder why other clubs haven't followed suit. I'm sure clubs talk to each other and share basic info. Perhaps Saints feel that it isn't worth it?
    Thanks anyway for the details.
    I believe Wakefield and HKR also do something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    I believe Wakefield and HKR also do something similar.
    3 out of 12 still makes me think it's a bit of a gamble.
    I don't know if we still have a fans focus group. Perhaps it was discussed there and given the thumbs down?
    As others have said, the games are filmed anyway, so that isn't the issue.

Upside
    Non Members

3 out of 12 still makes me think it's a bit of a gamble.
    I don't know if we still have a fans focus group. Perhaps it was discussed there and given the thumbs down?
    As others have said, the games are filmed anyway, so that isn't the issue.

Why would anyone give it the thumbs down? I only see positives, what am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Why would anyone give it the thumbs down? I only see positives, what am I missing?
    ...Just complete guesswork from me here as I don't actually know is 'Saints TV' has ever been considered.
    I'm assuming it has been talked about within the club as they obviously would be aware of the other clubs who already have it, and if there is still a fans focus group, I'm assuming that they would have been asked what they thought of it, how much they'd pay for it etc.
    How much folks are prepared to pay would, for me, be the deciding factor for the club to give it the go ahead, or not, so they would have some sort of minimum fee in mind in order to make it worthwhile. If the focus group thought that fee would be too much, they'd give it the thumbs down.

Like I said though. This is all guesswork from me, and for what it's worth, I would welcome something similar to Wigan TV for the sort of money they pay...I'm just puzzled why us and the majority of the others aren't doing it too.
    Last edited by KentishBarry; 7th July 2019 at 22:23.

Upside
    Non Members

...Just complete guesswork from me here as I don't actually know is 'Saints TV' has ever been considered.
    I'm assuming it has been talked about within the club as they obviously would be aware of the other clubs who already have it, and if there is still a fans focus group, I'm assuming that they would have been asked what they thought of it, how much they'd pay for it etc.
    How much folks are prepared to pay would, for me, be the deciding factor for the club to give it the go ahead, or not, so they would have some sort of minimum fee in mind in order to make it worthwhile. If the focus group thought that fee would be too much, they'd give it the thumbs down.

Like I said though. This is all guesswork from me, and for what it's worth, I would welcome something similar to Wigan TV for the sort of money they pay...I'm just puzzled why us and the majority of the others aren't doing it too.
    I think £35 has been mentioned as being the fee for Wigan tv, that sounds about right

In The South Stand

If you watch Justin Holbrook’s interview at Hull, you’ll see the usual board behind with sponsor’s logos etc. One of them reads “HULLFCLIVE.TV. I don’t know whether that means you can add them to the list.

I’ve said before that I’d subscribe to something similar to Wigan TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I think £35 has been mentioned as being the fee for Wigan tv, that sounds about right
    Correct, but we don't know if they're making any money from it or even covering their costs. Nor do we know how many fans are buying into it.

Upside
    Non Members

Correct, but we don't know if they're making any money from it or even covering their costs. Nor do we know how many fans are buying into it.
    As games are recorded anyway there's only hosting costs, not sure how much they are but surely losses if any would be minimal

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Just watched the highlights of the game on youtube. In the corner it had "SaintsTV" so it might be in the pipeline.

Highlights are also much better with commentary on it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

An article in today’s Rugby Leaguer states that Barrow have launched a TV channel, costing £5 per month, about which the club says “With the TV channel comes commercial opportunities too and we may have tapped into a valuable income stream”. Considering the difference in scale of support for Barrow and Saints, it’s hard to imagine that it wouldn’t be a success for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    An article in today’s Rugby Leaguer states that Barrow have launched a TV channel, costing £5 per month, about which the club says “With the TV channel comes commercial opportunities too and we may have tapped into a valuable income stream”. Considering the difference in scale of support for Barrow and Saints, it’s hard to imagine that it wouldn’t be a success for us.
    I think the opportunities might be greater for Championship clubs, as there don't seem to be the same restrictions on streaming live matches that Sky would impose on SL clubs.

I watch all the videos that come via the website etc but I’d be more than happy to pay £5-10 a month for a more thorough and ‘all in one place’ version of that, especially for full match reruns if that’s possible