Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Going ito the Last Nine

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Default Going ito the Last Nine

With only 9 regular games left and the first testing game of the trilogy ( Wire-Hull-Goons) completed do we start to look at resting players again and bring our back up players back into the playing frame.

The likes of Richardson, Costello, Welsby, Batchelor and maybe Simms could be used now we have that extra cushion, if we win this week then one more win after that guarantees a top 2 slot anyway.

Fages and Lomax had pretty energy sapping tough games on Friday in defence and attack do we give Richardson a 2 game appearance to rest them a week at a time. Similarly with Coote do we give Welsby a couple of games spread over the last 9 for more experience reasons.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    With only 9 regular games left and the first testing game of the trilogy ( Wire-Hull-Goons) completed do we start to look at resting players again and bring our back up players back into the playing frame.

The likes of Richardson, Costello, Welsby, Batchelor and maybe Simms could be used now we have that extra cushion, if we win this week then one more win after that guarantees a top 2 slot anyway.

Fages and Lomax had pretty energy sapping tough games on Friday in defence and attack do we give Richardson a 2 game appearance to rest them a week at a time. Similarly with Coote do we give Welsby a couple of games spread over the last 9 for more experience reasons.
    Certainly be playing Richardson more regularly, no problem with resting players, but certainly not Coote and Lomax together
    . .If a game is won, take players like Roby and Walmsley off well before full time

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

Win a couple more then rotate when top 2 is achieved
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Due to the temperature and the tension last Fridays game would have been energy sapping.

It maybe unfair on the travelling supporters but for me we should rest a few for the Hull game.

I know its 2 points no matter who we are playing but I think for most of us a win over Wigan the week after is more important than a win against Hull.

It's been significant this season that our performances have dropped , when Walmsley and Thompson have been subbed then the tempo lifts when they come back on.

We are very flat without them and we missed Walmsley at the back end of last season.
    Trouble is we really haven't got much in the way of cover for these two unless we bring Douglas back from Leigh.

In The South Stand

I’d rest players against Hull then full side against Wigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I'd go strong for the next two, one or two changes maybe to keep the momentum going. I'm pretty certain Ashworth will get a shot this Friday as he didn't play last week and he may give Richardson a shot in the halves but not sure he'll make huge changes with Taia and Roby out.

We play London in three weeks after the Wigan game, the week before the Semi Final, so I'm pretty sure Holbrook will go with a similar approach to last time and rest 5 or 6 (maybe more) for that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'd go strong for the next two, one or two changes maybe to keep the momentum going. I'm pretty certain Ashworth will get a shot this Friday as he didn't play last week and he may give Richardson a shot in the halves but not sure he'll make huge changes with Taia and Roby out.

We play London in three weeks after the Wigan game, the week before the Semi Final, so I'm pretty sure Holbrook will go with a similar approach to last time and rest 5 or 6 (maybe more) for that game.
    That could be the option to go for whilst the team are high on confidence, I suppose it all depends if we have picked up any knocks. There is a 2 week window shortly where we play London away and Wakefield at home, perhaps rest half a team each one of those weeks.

Learning All The Songs

Put a who's who side out against Hull rest everyone and go strong week after against Wigan. Giving Hull a possible two points puts pressure on Wire

Upside
    Non Members

Is it resting or rotating? If you have a strong squad surely we rotate similar ability players to keep them fresh

In The South Stand

Spot on. We know Lomax wont play in London because of the artificial pitch and I for one don't mind conceding two points if it helps get Leeds relegated! Obviously I'd prefer us to win and I'm not suggesting we throw the game, but if we do lose I wont be broken hearted. Hull and obviously the Crust Munchers deserve a good hiding.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

That is the way I would go. Stiddy in the OP mentioned Batchelor, he seems to be the forgotten man. With him playing at York we never here anything about him the way we do with players at Leigh. Is he still in contention??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Spot on. We know Lomax wont play in London because of the artificial pitch and I for one don't mind conceding two points if it helps get Leeds relegated! Obviously I'd prefer us to win and I'm not suggesting we throw the game, but if we do lose I wont be broken hearted. Hull and obviously the Crust Munchers deserve a good hiding.
    I'm inclined to agree with this, it serves nothing giving Hull a leg up and I'll be annoyed if we rest anyone against the cave dwellers but it certainly wouldn't worry me losing to London if as you say it puts more pressure on Leeds, same goes for Wakey/W***n. Players I'd like to see given a go: Welsby, Eaves, Simm, Richardson, Swif and Batchelor, not all together but there's no reason we can't blood a couple every game once the top 2 is secured.

Realistically we probably only need to win 4 out of 9 to seal top spot, and that’s assuming Wire win every game. We can play it more or less how we please without any repercussions. We don’t want to lose momentum but we don’t need to worry about losing a handful either. I suspect we’ll probably see rotation similar to the last month or so

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    Realistically we probably only need to win 4 out of 9 to seal top spot, and that’s assuming Wire win every game. We can play it more or less how we please without any repercussions. We don’t want to lose momentum but we don’t need to worry about losing a handful either. I suspect we’ll probably see rotation similar to the last month or so
    Agreed.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

Let’s be honest, we’re in the top two and have two bites of the cherry at getting to the Grand Final and we’re probably the shortest price favourites possibly ever in the Challenge Cup Semi-Final, against the side that’s currently eighth in the second tier.

Do we need to rotate in the lead up to the Challenge Cup Semi-Final? I’d still say yes, regardless of our opponents on the day. Warrington, Wigan, Hull FC and London on their plastic pitch in the lead up to the Semi at Bolton is going to take it out of players and I’d definitely rotate against Hull FC, but only two or three changes to the nineteen and then against London, I’d like us to make quite a few changes, not quite on the scale of that Bradford game in 2004 but a good five or six given the week off ahead of Halifax.

Post Halifax, it’s quite likely that we’ll be in a Challenge Cup Final in August and then have Wakefield, Warrington (again? Oh joy, loop-de-loop fixtures) and Leeds prior to the Final. Three tough games there and again, I’d look at rotating for Warrington and Leeds, especially if we’re in a Cup Final.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

We should rest players against Hull in the hope they catch Warrington for second and so they are more confident in their Cup semi final. We should rest players for London in the hope it helps them stay up and we should rest the entire team against Halifax as we really shouldn't be worrying at all about that game.

Heavy rotation, no one plays with a knock and anyone who gets one in a game comes straight off. No messing about needed with an 8 point lead to 2nd and what a 12 point gap to 3rd with 9 games to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    We should rest players against Hull in the hope they catch Warrington for second and so they are more confident in their Cup semi final. We should rest players for London in the hope it helps them stay up and we should rest the entire team against Halifax as we really shouldn't be worrying at all about that game.

Heavy rotation, no one plays with a knock and anyone who gets one in a game comes straight off. No messing about needed with an 8 point lead to 2nd and what a 12 point gap to 3rd with 9 games to go.
    Holbrook has been saying how tiring the game on Friday was so I’m thinking he will make a handful of changes this week

Hull have clearly decided a tilt at the cup is priority. I wouldn’t be surprised if they rotated on Friday in what probably seems a no-win situation....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.