Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Shoulder tackle' by attacking player

Starting A Programme Collection

Great news about Smith.
    Anyone heard anything about Knowles ?
    I’m sure Wells mentioned on Friday that he was due to join him, but had picked up a knock.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Saints just released an update = no serious injury , just "whiplash" has been released from hospital, great news.
    Pleased for everyone concerned. Obviously great news for us as a club.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Saints just released an update = no serious injury , just "whiplash" has been released from hospital, great news.
    Thanks Roy
    Good news

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Good grief.
    I wish Aaron all the best and glad he discharged...but you can't blame Sita for poor tackling techniques.
    Go low avoid the blow.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duckie View Post
    Good grief.
    I wish Aaron all the best and glad he discharged...but you can't blame Sita for poor tackling techniques.
    Go low avoid the blow.
    Great news he is ok, we wish all players who take the field to remain injury free

Small players sometimes go low, but rarely the first tackler. There's a risk of a very quick play of the ball, tackler one usually holds up, tackler two puts on a shot and the third man takes the legs. I need to watch the game back but I think he was just hit so hard he got whiplash, not even sure if there was any direct contact with the head

You are knocked out when your brain is shook inside your head, so you don't actually need direct contact to be knocked out. It can look sickening but with these big fast fit blokes this will happen from time to time

The reduction in interchanges is suppose to help this, people not as big, not enough chances to bring on fresh players and give big guys a rest

Starting A Programme Collection

Looking back I don’t think Cliff Watson would have been on the field long if your suggesting the technique is wrong and we loved him.

Was Fozzard warned regarding his ball carrying technique? Use of his knees?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

I'm pretty sure he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Looking back I don’t think Cliff Watson would have been on the field long if your suggesting the technique is wrong and we loved him.
    When Cliff played going in with the shoulder was legal for attacker and defender, now only the attacker can do it. I never had a problem with shoulder charges as part of the game as long as it wasn't late nor to the head

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    When Cliff played going in with the shoulder was legal for attacker and defender, now only the attacker can do it. I never had a problem with shoulder charges as part of the game as long as it wasn't late nor to the head
    Fridays game had almost 700 tackles, I would guess it was less than half of this back in the 70s and 80s (and probably most other decades until recently). The players are fitter, faster and generally stronger, granted we had big strong players back then but they didn't run into each other as fast or consistently tough as they do now.
    So the issue with the shoulder charge in the modern game as a tackling technique is the likelihood of whiplash type injuries that could potentially happen frequently.
    I think it's different with the ball carrier, they have to carry a ball, have often 3 or 4 people coming in to tackle them and have less options to brace themselves for impact. Therefore I feel serious injury from the ball carrier is less likely although not impossible as we have seen.
    I guess the question is if it's potential for serious injury on a frequent basis is so risky that it requires banning. If it was banned I'm not sure how easy players could adapt or even how easy it would be to officiate.

For now my thoughts are the balance is right and if an individual player has a questionable technique address it directly

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Fridays game had almost 700 tackles, I would guess it was less than half of this back in the 70s and 80s (and probably most other decades until recently). The players are fitter, faster and generally stronger, granted we had big strong players back then but they didn't run into each other as fast or consistently tough as they do now.
    So the issue with the shoulder charge in the modern game as a tackling technique is the likelihood of whiplash type injuries that could potentially happen frequently.
    I think it's different with the ball carrier, they have to carry a ball, have often 3 or 4 people coming in to tackle them and have less options to brace themselves for impact. Therefore I feel serious injury from the ball carrier is less likely although not impossible as we have seen.
    I guess the question is if it's potential for serious injury on a frequent basis is so risky that it requires banning. If it was banned I'm not sure how easy players could adapt or even how easy it would be to officiate.

For now my thoughts are the balance is right and if an individual player has a questionable technique address it directly
    I think you may be right with this. Ina addition to full time players being fitter and faster, they also get a rest when substituted allowing them to keep up that faster pace.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post

Initially, then it became that heavy padded arm to the tackler above shoulder level.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

For me there's nothing wrong with the attacking player as people have said I think Smith just got it wrong on a much bigger bloke. The attacking player needs some protection and I've no issue with that being his shoulder.

I know Holbrook's comments have been brought up but for me they should be taken with a pinch of salt. He was asked to comment on it straight after the game on the pitch side interview and put under pressure to answer. He's basically just stuck up for his player. If it would have been walmsley on Clark I'm sure his comments would have been backing walmsley's running style. Same with Bennet saying Burgess didn't know where his hand was when he was caught gouging this week.

Some of the questions they ask coaches after the game should be looked at for me. Sky's constant addiction to controversy just isn't needed.