Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tony Smith effect

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    How did Mose Masoe do , wee.
    What have you heard, Roy? Is Mose coming back?
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

How did Mose Masoe do , wee.
    Thought he played well. Played decent minutes, made good ground with the ball, offered himself up for plenty of carries and was solid in defence. Looked a bit fitter as well. If he put in that much effort every match while he was at Saints he’d still be here.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    What have you heard, Roy? Is Mose coming back?
    I still get shot down in flames on this but according to form he's not that happy over there , and it looks like they are looking to offload overseas players , we may well be looking to replace a couple of props, we have some fantastic youngsters , Mose amongst these lads would add to the "grunt" we already have , short term = yes , but we would certainly benefit , I'll leave it there - interesting times .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Myler isn’t fit to lace McGuire’s boots. Why the hell they swapped Parcell for Lunt I’ll never know either. Throw it to Hurrell and hope for the best seems to be all they’ve got in their locker. Hull KR are starting to assemble a decent team and are miles ahead of those around them in terms of their front row and halves which will see them comfortably avoid relegation. I think Leeds are fortunate that London have a difficult run in otherwise they could have been in real trouble, although now we’re 10 points clear we can surely put out the reserves against London next week before the challenge cup semi?
    Didn't they want Parcell out to free up a space for their new player? And with Lunt being British thought it was worth it. Bet HKR didn't argue!

I still get shot down in flames on this but according to form he's not that happy over there , and it looks like they are looking to offload overseas players , we may well be looking to replace a couple of props, we have some fantastic youngsters , Mose amongst these lads would add to the "grunt" we already have , short term = yes , but we would certainly benefit , I'll leave it there - interesting times .
    I loved Mose, I#d love to see him back for a year - our other props are so good we can have a player like him. Not always amazing but really seemed to get himself up for the big ones, put the fear of god up Ben Westwood, I'll never forget him complaining to Thaler about how big he was and Thaler replying, well there's nothing I can do about that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Claire View Post
    I loved Mose, I#d love to see him back for a year - our other props are so good we can have a player like him. Not always amazing but really seemed to get himself up for the big ones, put the fear of god up Ben Westwood, I'll never forget him complaining to Thaler about how big he was and Thaler replying, well there's nothing I can do about that.
    Not sure I'd want him back, but now he gets through a ton more work than he did when he was here.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think we are bit late with Mose now he probably doesn't have that impact edge these days, if we could have had him at the start when Holbrook took over he would have been a different player similar to the improvement in Peyroux. For me Matty Lees with another 5kg and another season of development will be an excellent prop for us, similar to Ashworth but to a lesser degree.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Would anyone have Smith at Saints if Justin leaves? His ex assistant is already in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Tony Smith should certainly be considered. He knows the league and has done very well everywhere he's been in SL- The Giants, Leeds, Warrington & now HKR. His teams always play exciting rugby too.

I'd also be looking at Matt Parcell who is only contracted to the end of the season as well. It's becoming quite noticeable now how many games James Roby is missing of late and a hooker of Parcell's ability (again proven in SL), aren't always available. I haven't heard of an NRL deal for him for next year.

Regards,

STEVO

Got A Season Ticket

Roby is missing games following surgery, I am sure he will be back to his best on his return in the next few weeks. There are young players coming through who will be nurtured by Roby and the coaches.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benchar View Post
    Roby is missing games following surgery, I am sure he will be back to his best on his return in the next few weeks. There are young players coming through who will be nurtured by Roby and the coaches.
    Yeah I know that. Whilst I've made the point before that Cameron Smith is still going strong in the NRL and now at 36, he's a different style of hooker and been fortunate to avoid significant injuries.

I've been impressed with Aaron Smith at times, but I've also seen him be carried off the field within the opening minutes of games twice and so he still has to prove he's ready to be a starting hooker at SL level.

Parcell was the dream team hooker 2 years ago and has good speed out of dummy half. He's still only 26 as well. Worth a thought.

Regards,

STEVO

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I think Tony Smith should certainly be considered. He knows the league and has done very well everywhere he's been in SL- The Giants, Leeds, Warrington & now HKR. His teams always play exciting rugby too.

I'd also be looking at Matt Parcell who is only contracted to the end of the season as well. It's becoming quite noticeable now how many games James Roby is missing of late and a hooker of Parcell's ability (again proven in SL), aren't always available. I haven't heard of an NRL deal for him for next year.

Regards,

STEVO
    If he would be willing to be back up to Roby, then definitely worth a punt. Proven player that is not too old. Not sure how we would go with another o'seas player?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I've been impressed with Aaron Smith at times, but I've also seen him be carried off the field within the opening minutes of games twice and so he still has to prove he's ready to be a starting hooker at SL level.

Parcell was the dream team hooker 2 years ago and has good speed out of dummy half. He's still only 26 as well. Worth a thought.

Regards,

STEVO
    And players like Smith will never get the chance to prove himself as a starting hooker if we do like so many other SL clubs and never give them a chance by bringing in average overseas players that block their progress.

Got A Season Ticket

i heard parcell was quick to spit his dummy out when he was at leeds and things didnt go his way and they were happy to get him out of the place even if it was a swop for lunt who isnt as good a player

Noooobie

Leave parcel and any other "hookers" where they are , young Smith is coming along quite nicely and "i'll eat my words" Bentley put a pretty decent shift in on Friday , Roby now over his problem and raring to go , with the young lads as back up we certainly don't need a replacement/cover whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve17 View Post
    i heard parcell was quick to spit his dummy out when he was at leeds and things didnt go his way and they were happy to get him out of the place even if it was a swop for lunt who isnt as good a player

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    And players like Smith will never get the chance to prove himself as a starting hooker if we do like so many other SL clubs and never give them a chance by bringing in average overseas players that block their progress.
    A lot will depend how long Roby goes on for. If for instance he was finishing at the end of this season, I think we would need to bring in someone else to play hooker as interchange with Smith to give him more time to develop.

I guess i'ts more likely that, barring injury, Roby will be with us all next year so this time next year the coach will have to weigh up his options and see what stage Smith is at

Wakefield are well and truly sliding into that conflict zone.

Chris Chester seems to have gone from a shoestring hero to having no clue in a matter of weeks......

Wigan certainly got the bounce of the ball with a couple of interception tries but Trinity made them look like US!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Wakefield are well and truly sliding into that conflict zone.

Chris Chester seems to have gone from a shoestring hero to having no clue in a matter of weeks......

Wigan certainly got the bounce of the ball with a couple of interception tries but Trinity made them look like US!
    Phil Clarke pontificating about how marvellous they all are saying Wigan will be the most dangerous team in the top 5. Wakefield were abysmal - they'd have struggled against any championship team and perhaps even a decent amateur team firing on all cylinders. Their defence was non-existent.

Banned

Phil Clarke pontificating about how marvellous they all are saying Wigan will be the most dangerous team in the top 5.

This just 6 days after we destroyed them without needing to get out of 2nd gear?

I know he probably has a brief to come out with hyperbole, but FFS, he can be such a fawning gimp when it comes to the piescum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    So Mr Clarke thinks Wigan will be the most dangerous team in the top 5?really?More dangerous than us?
    He probably doesn't. He just does it to stir it up.

Dunno why people watch RL over here me on tv. I watch Saints and that's it. If I don't get to the game

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    This just 6 days after we destroyed them without needing to get out of 2nd gear?

I know he probably has a brief to come out with hyperbole, but FFS, he can be such a fawning gimp when it comes to the piescum.
    They've lost 11 games already. Phil Clark like most pie eaters is on glue

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection MachineGunFunk's Avatar

I might seem a bit too confident, but there's no way I can't see us walking out at old Trafford 12 weeks tomorrow. And yes I know anything can happen in sport but I can't envisage this years Grand final without us being there
    We'll just have to win one home playoff game, out of 2 should we need them, so it's really hard to see us losing both back-to-back. I'd say we are pretty much nailed on to be in both finals and then it's just a case of doing it on the day.
    "Never write off the Saints!!"

Got A Season Ticket

No change! thread titled 'The Tony Smith Effect' moves to Wigan last night & Phil Clarke! school playtime again lol

Got A Season Ticket

Everybody who gets in the top five will hope they don't have to play saints in a knock out game in the play offs
    Remember Clarke saying one year he thought Salford would win the grand final thinks he does it for effect

Banned

Agree there,,, but could the ongoing situation regarding holbrook affect the players performances in the remaining games of the season?
    Highly unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    No change! thread titled 'The Tony Smith Effect' moves to Wigan last night & Phil Clarke! school playtime again lol
    Not really. It's just a thread that has developed into one discussing teams at the lower end of the table which Wakefield will be and having played Wigan last night I mentioned it as found it amusing. Better than starting a thread entitled Phil Clark, don't want to give him any more delusions of grandeur.