Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 19 man squad v Warrington

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    He also seemed to be laughing in the face of Bentley after he knocked on. True bully.
    I think he's a cracking player, Hill, but he does come across as a right irritating bell.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knowsley roader View Post
    Hill 3rd man in and a crusher tackle? A true Wire Hero.
    That award firmly sits with Ben Westwood

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    He also seemed to be laughing in the face of Bentley after he knocked on. True bully.
    Don't worry when it came to the crunch he couldn't stop Alex as he crashed over the try line

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Banned

Much better second half. Warrington’s negative tactics with half an hour to go invited pressure and we took advantage of it, without getting out of 2nd gear.

If they’re second in the league, how bad are the rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Great defensive effort. Looked very scratchy in attack.

But let's not forget we were a man down the whole game and had our best player sat in the stands.

I also think that game showed that it was a shrewd move by the saints board to sign taia up for another season.

He is a unique player in our squad and the other second rowers don't offer the same threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    That award firmly sits with Ben Westwood
    He’s 37 you know....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    Much better second half. Warrington’s negative tactics with half an hour to go invited pressure and we took advantage of it, without getting out of 2nd gear.

If they’re second in the league, how bad are the rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wigan are now fourth.

Thats how bad it is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Thought it was key when Wire chose, three times, to take the two points on offer in that first half. They didn’t take the tackles and attempt to wear down a Saints side that was under the pump early on and defending back to back sets.

Thought that playing without a hooker for 77 minutes was going to tell in the end but thought we stepped up in the last twenty, especially in the forwards.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Would be nice if the commentator got at least one Saints players name right

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I don’t know if it’s since Neville Smith left but the Sky coverage tonight has been terrible. A few important plays have been missed while a pointless replay is being shown.
    Kev and Regan, Sef, Zeb and Dom has been going on for weeks, now it`s also Matty and Morgan.
    The replays has been playing over the action for a few years but it seems worse these last few weeks. Sometimes it`s the third play the ball before we see the game. There is enough stoppage time to show replays when waiting for scrums.
    Ref had a good game but I thought video could have helped more, Morgan looked like a 2-1 strip yet deemed a loose carry and Regan head in touch did not look like he touched the floor.
    Great defensive game from our lads, said it a few weeks ago we have them this year, Hull or Catalan our worries dare I say it Wigan now fourth could string a win or two in playoffs.
    Well done Saints.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post

But let's not forget we were a man down the whole game and had our best player sat in the stands.

I also think that game showed that it was a shrewd move by the saints board to sign taia up for another season.

He is a unique player in our squad and the other second rowers don't offer the same threat.
    Yes I agree, we clearly missed him tonight. With out him our attack down that side drifted towards the touchline meaning the wide pass to Grace didn't

Learning All The Songs

Until the late try they never got near to crossing our line, at least we had chances even though we messed them up.

I think we also lose a lot when Knowles has to play on the edge. He is a proper enforcer and we get a lot more out of him when he's in the middle.

As Longy said we were very clunky in attack first half. Having our third choice hooker didn’t help but we didn’t seem to execute anything in their half at all.

I felt at half time that if we just got back to basics and got a foothold in the game that Thompson and Walmsley would take us onwards. Wire didn’t look a threat at all and it must be concerning for them that we played fairly average, had 16 men the whole game and were missing Taia and particularly Roby who always seems to give them a massive headache

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Wigan are now fourth.

Thats how bad it is.

I know....how the hell have they managed it. Well done on tonight though, great result in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I know I'm a Saints fan and it may sound biased but ref seemed to be Warrington, s arse most of that match
    Thought Thaler made some garbage calls tonight including the forward pass for Percys try. The knock on decision against Knowles when the ball was obviously stripped from him has a particular lowlight.

I thought the 3rd kicked penalty on Naqama was a poor call, Goodwin clearly tried to clear the ruck over the player rather than the side, whats Kevin supposed to do??

I thought the decision to sin bin Hughes was lienient and I am amazed that Sky played it down like they did. Roby got binned for less a few weeks back for what Hill did. There were some others that I can't recall but overall he was garbage throughout. Probably for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    I know....how the hell have they managed it. Well done on tonight though, great result in the end.
    Let’s not get Wolfitis, the illness where you worry about what the opposition are doing....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Learning All The Songs

Zeb and Robes attacking options and defensive reads are brilliant. Still a good defensive stint from this side but looked desperate at times
    Paulo at hooker seemed to be better for distribution but Bentley`s work and tackling looked good though held on too long a few times when no marker in position to take up as he had leg tackled a half break from their forwards.
    Hope we have the other two back fit and fresh for the business end, we miss them when not there.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Losing Smith in the first couple really disrupted our attack set play and it took 20 mis for Bentley to settle into the hooking role but he was far too slow on his distribution. Great scrambling defence by both sides to take us to half time.

As mentioned I thought Sean Long was spot on with his assessment of completing more sets in the second half, what helped that was Morgan Knowles going to hooker got the ball out to 1st receiver quicker. For me leading up to the 60 min mark the Warrington forwards looked gassed with some tired looking head shots. Turning point of the game was the Lomax crash tackle on Mamo, the Warrington team looked as though they had a mountain to climb whilst the saints pack looked energetic.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Losing Smith in the first couple really disrupted our attack set play and it took 20 mis for Bentley to settle into the hooking role but he was far too slow on his distribution. Great scrambling defence by both sides to take us to half time.

As mentioned I thought Sean Long was spot on with his assessment of completing more sets in the second half, what helped that was Morgan Knowles going to hooker got the ball out to 1st receiver quicker. For me leading up to the 60 min mark the Warrington forwards looked gassed with some tired looking head shots. Turning point of the game was the Lomax crash tackle on Mamo, the Warrington team looked as though they had a mountain to climb whilst the saints pack looked energetic.
    I think that's spot on with the Bentley assessment and turning point with Lomax. I think Knowles going into 9 played a big part in how we finished that game.

Learning All The Songs

The ambition from Warrington was underwhelming. Massive possession and lets go for the penalty. Six drives and a kick. So despite our poor start what a great performance and testament to our fitness to come back like that. Richly deserved only one team wanting to play with ball in hand.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I think that's spot on with the Bentley assessment and turning point with Lomax. I think Knowles going into 9 played a big part in how we finished that game.
    Knowles was absolutely international class.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

It will be a travesty if we win nothing this year. Head and shoulders the best team this season.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    The ambition from Warrington was underwhelming. Massive possession and lets go for the penalty. Six drives and a kick. So despite our poor start what a great performance and testament to our fitness to come back like that. Richly deserved only one team wanting to play with ball in hand.
    I almost posted yesterday that Warrington going at 80% would be equivalent to Saints at 70%, we went better than that tonight in the first half Warrington were at 83% completion and Saints only at 62% for a 4 point lead.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

As someone said earlier , we always looked stronger , a couple of years ago Saints would have panicked, but now they don't, the confidence in this lot is immense , and as was mentioned by Percy last week , no blaming each other , just let's get on with it , the true colours of a very very good side .
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Learning All The Songs

Would be a travesty if Hill doesn't receive 2 matches for that crusher, should have got 10 minutes in the bin as well.