Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wigan after Richardson?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    We should keep hold of Danny if possible, nothing wrong with having 3 halfbacks battling for 2 spots plus resting and potential injuries. And with reserves next season all will carry on training together so pushing each other in training too. Must be a win win for the team.

Agree completely.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Agree completely.
    Ditto

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shane cooper View Post
    Ditto
    X 3 he may not be the finished article but a good back up if one is injured or needs a rest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    X 3 he may not be the finished article but a good back up if one is injured or needs a rest.
    I've thought he's looked very good in games this season once he shook off the rustiness, and adds an extra dimension that Fages lacks in terms of passing (especially to the right). But then, Fages adds qualities that Richardson lacks.

If you took the best parts of both, you'd have the finest halfback in the world.

Upside
    Non Members

I think his future lies elsewhere, he has more chance or realising his potential away from saints

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    We should keep hold of Danny if possible, nothing wrong with having 3 halfbacks battling for 2 spots plus resting and potential injuries. And with reserves next season all will carry on training together so pushing each other in training too. Must be a win win for the team.
    I fully agree. However, Danny Richardson also has to think about his own future and I would hazard a guess he'd be paid more as the first choice halfback in another team rather than back-up at Saints. This is the problem with a salary-capped sport. You can't keep a large squad as the money simply isn't there.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    I fully agree. However, Danny Richardson also has to think about his own future and I would hazard a guess he'd be paid more as the first choice halfback in another team rather than back-up at Saints. This is the problem with a salary-capped sport. You can't keep a large squad as the money simply isn't there.
    Thats why i think we need to make the most of this squad with challenge cups an super league titles over the next 2 to 3 years. It will be impossible to keep this squad much longer than 2 years, The likes of morgan knowles, luke thompson,jack ashworth,matty lees an regan grace will all be on significantly less than they will upgrade to over the next 12/18 months. At the minute we are able to pay marquee money to lachlan coote, an kevin niquiama,which wont be possible as the squad upgrades rise. The young lads arnt average players, Luke Thommo an morgan knowles would walk in to most teams world wide.
    an will be paid accordingly. In my opinion this is a golden era we must take advantage of.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    I've thought he's looked very good in games this season once he shook off the rustiness, and adds an extra dimension that Fages lacks in terms of passing (especially to the right). But then, Fages adds qualities that Richardson lacks.

If you took the best parts of both, you'd have the finest halfback in the world.
    Not sure about the world, but a combination of those two would be the best in SL by far. Wait for rubber duckie.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    I think his future lies elsewhere, he has more chance or realising his potential away from saints
    I think you may be right. I wonder how far away Dodds is from operating as first reserve halfback along with Welsby as a utility back? Maybe we would still have cover if Richardson left. Also I’m one of the group of supporters who thinks that Danny isn’t quite good enough but I’m happy to be proven wrong
    Last edited by John; 27th June 2019 at 15:23.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Hastings will be in the starting line up for Wigan for the first game of the 2020 season Stiddy.
    Now confirmed.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    X4 for mine. Adds an x factor to an already classy line up.

Banned

I would hate for him to go there but I'm not sure his future is with us, as people have pointed out, he has aspects of his game that are better than Fages but he doesn't fit the team as well right now. In an ideal world I'd keep him at Saints as backup but I can't see him being happy with that and to be honest he's better than that.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I would hate for him to go there but I'm not sure his future is with us, as people have pointed out, he has aspects of his game that are better than Fages but he doesn't fit the team as well right now. In an ideal world I'd keep him at Saints as backup but I can't see him being happy with that and to be honest he's better than that.
    There is only one aspect of his game that is better than Fages that is goal kicking . With ball in hand Fages is streets ahead . Wigan will never sign him , maybe Salford .

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Unfortunately sport can sometimes seem to be unfair and success for a player is often a case of being at the right club at the right time.

From Saints point of view at the moment Fages is the better option and barring injury will most probably be scrum half for the next few years.

If you're comparing the players like for like you must bear in mind that Richardson is 3 years younger than Fages and is probably on a par where Fages was three years ago but Holbrook has to go with who is best now.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Unfortunately sport can sometimes seem to be unfair and success for a player is often a case of being at the right club at the right time.

From Saints point of view at the moment Fages is the better option and barring injury will most probably be scrum half for the next few years.

If you're comparing the players like for like you must bear in mind that Richardson is 3 years younger than Fages and is probably on a par where Fages was three years ago but Holbrook has to go with who is best now.
    It's only three years! I fell like Fages has been around years

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    There is only one aspect of his game that is better than Fages that is goal kicking . With ball in hand Fages is streets ahead . Wigan will never sign him , maybe Salford .

It does have the Salford feel about it, not sure that would be DRs wishes, I suspect a few SL clubs would be interested

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    One other aspect... Fages will never do a cross field kick, Richardson is actually quite good at that. Defenders know if Fage is going to kick from hand then they know where it is going to go i.e. pretty much directly in front of him.

Overall though, Fage is better.

Starting A Programme Collection newport dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    It's only three years! I fell like Fages has been around years
    Didn't he come over to Salford when he was only 16...

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Still in Newport....still no nearer home.........

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I think you may be right. I wonder how far away Dodds is from operating as first reserve halfback along with Welsby as a utility back? Maybe we would still have cover if Richardson left. Also I’m one of the group of supporters who thinks that Danny isn’t quite good enough but I’m happy to be proven wrong
    Dodds is still only seventeen, and an excellent prospect but I don't expect to see him in the 1st team for two or three years.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Dodds is still only seventeen, and an excellent prospect but I don't expect to see him in the 1st team for two or three years.
    Seen him play quite a few times don't think he has the physicality yet, it was the same for Welsby over a year ago but he really stepped up in development and Holbrook has handled his first team appearances quite well. For me its important we keep Richardson for the 2020 season and then decide the longer term half backs at the end of that season.
    Owen Blackwood has come on our radar have you seen him play on your travels with the youth games.

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Seen him play quite a few times don't think he has the physicality yet, it was the same for Welsby over a year ago but he really stepped up in development and Holbrook has handled his first team appearances quite well. For me its important we keep Richardson for the 2020 season and then decide the longer term half backs at the end of that season.
    Owen Blackwood has come on our radar have you seen him play on your travels with the youth games.
    No I haven't seen him, any connection to Bob Blackwood?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    No I haven't seen him, any connection to Bob Blackwood?
    Don't know, Brian.

Worst kept shall we say "secret" in superleague, he was seen at the club months ago , even my mate said "hello" to him , still think he's way overrated.
    Don't know what happened here , ? , this was related to Hastings signing for Wigan , which has been confirmed "officially" today , sorry for the confusion .
    Last edited by roy litherland; 9th July 2019 at 17:37.

Hastings will be in the starting line up for Wigan for the first game of the 2020 season Stiddy.
    Jeez cant believe this has only just come out , worst kept secret in superleague , have they anyone left who they can get shut of ?.

Banned

Worst kept shall we say "secret" in superleague, he was seen at the club months ago , even my mate said "hello" to him , still think he's way overrated.
    Don't know what happened here , ? , this was related to Hastings signing for Wigan.
    ????????