Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wigan after Richardson?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SaintH517 View Post
    Most of what’s in League Weekly is nonsense and it makes no sense for Wigan to be after Richardson when they’re favourites to sign Hastings. Richardson would be a terrible signing for them, a scrum half who can’t organise or control a game. Wouldn’t shock me if he ended up at Salford or a team around that level.
    A lot of what appears in both rugby papers is just lazy journalism taking things theve seen the previous week on the forums and printing it in there paper on the Monday

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Good point about Foster, he got a bit too big for his boots and never reached the level he could have done....
    I’ve been critical of Richardson on here but he’s a different calibre of player to Jamie Foster. IMO Foster’s problem wasn’t that he was big headed, it was that he just wasn’t all that good.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Good point about Foster, he got a bit too big for his boots and never reached the level he could have done....
    If it was like the NFL where you can bring in someone to take kicks, I would have Foster in the team any day of the week.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    We play Lewis Dodd from the 19's who is going to be a better player, he's beaten the Young Aussie tourists who came over and was MOM in Lancashire V Yorkshire last week when Lancashire won.

Good up coming player is Lewis
    He never played in the Aussie series, he was too young.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I’ve been critical of Richardson on here but he’s a different calibre of player to Jamie Foster. IMO Foster’s problem wasn’t that he was big headed, it was that he just wasn’t all that good.
    He went downhill when it took regular visits to the hairdresser to make him look good.

Learning All The Songs roy litherland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Was just going to say the same thing, if Salford lose Hastings and Lui they might come knocking on the Saints door.
    Hastings will be in the starting line up for Wigan for the first game of the 2020 season Stiddy.
    roy litherland it's happened i told you it would

Noooobie

With Kevin Brown going to Salford !

Starting A Programme Collection

Does Watson Really Deserve a half back pairing of Brown and Richardson?

.... but he could have been much much better.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

He went downhill when it took regular visits to the hairdresser to make him look good.
    I think the club probably took some of the blame there too, they did a lot of the pushing with the promotion etc. The #JF22 stuff and all the marketing, whereas they should have been keeping a lid on it..

I think the club had learnt and they've took a massively different approach with Grace, Percival and Richardson who could all be superstars..

With regards to Richardson, I remember his interview after the Warrington match after kicking the goal which gave the impression of "I've made it", I know people always say half backs need to be cocky, well they don't, Lomax never has been, nor has Gaskell, let's not forget Fages is only two years older either..

What does worry me however is the Fages deal it's only a two and a half year deal from now. My worry is Richardson goes, then Fages, but there's no way of managing that

I think DR needs a move to be honest. I don’t think he’s a bad player at all but there’s a bit more to Fages, he just gets in the thick of it a bit more both in attack and defence and there’s a bit more zip about our attack when he’s there

.... but he could have been much much better.
    I’m not sure he could. He was an exceptional goal kicker and was skilful with his hands, but physically he just didn’t have the goods.

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

I’m not sure he could. He was an exceptional goal kicker and was skilful with his hands, but physically he just didn’t have the goods.
    I remember when we lost a close game to Bradford at Odsal they kicked a bomb towards Foster, and Karl Pryce, who for his size was hardly the most intimidating player was running for the ball. It was Foster's ball all day long but he sh*t it, hesitated and Pryce got the ball. Doesn't matter how good you are at kicking, if you're scared of getting tackled then you shouldn't be playing.

Imho he wasn’t coached/managed right. He didn’t apply himself to overcome his limitations. If you look at Fages or Jonny, they punch way over their (physical) weight and SOME of that is natural and some is coached/learnt

It’s not important nowadays but he could have done better and made a real career out of it (I’m not saying he was necessarily good enough to stay at Saints) and I hate to see a waste of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think DR needs a move to be honest. I don’t think he’s a bad player at all but there’s a bit more to Fages, he just gets in the thick of it a bit more both in attack and defence and there’s a bit more zip about our attack when he’s there
    I'm hoping we manage to keep all our current contracted players for next season, there is a risk of reducing our squad depth otherwise. If we lose Douglas, Amor, Richardson, Swift next season we don't have anyone from the academy ready to cover that individual position. The last time we went to a shallow squad we ended up with Tommy Lee, Jack Owens and perhaps we can include Matty Smith in that.

Noooobie

I'm hoping we manage to keep all our current contracted players for next season, there is a risk of reducing our squad depth otherwise. If we lose Douglas, Amor, Richardson, Swift next season we don't have anyone from the academy ready to cover that individual position. The last time we went to a shallow squad we ended up with Tommy Lee, Jack Owens and perhaps we can include Matty Smith in that.
    I agree but could it be that we just cant fit everyone in the cap.?
    We must of had some players on good upgrades an a substantial rise to keep theo among others.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Shane cooper View Post
    We must of had some players on good upgrades an a substantial rise to keep theo among others.
    The salary cap goes up another £100K for 2020 so we should still have some room for at least 1 more signing even with all the upgraded contracts.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I remember when we lost a close game to Bradford at Odsal they kicked a bomb towards Foster, and Karl Pryce, who for his size was hardly the most intimidating player was running for the ball. It was Foster's ball all day long but he sh*t it, hesitated and Pryce got the ball. Doesn't matter how good you are at kicking, if you're scared of getting tackled then you shouldn't be playing.
    No he didn't. I was right next to the incident. He made the cardinal error of letting the ball bounce, expecting it to go in touch (it was about 2 feet away from the touchline). It bounced badly, back in play and Pryce gathered. He didn't "chicken out", just made an error of judgement.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

I agree, we need to keep our talent.

Who would we get instead of Richardson?
    Would they improve the side?
    What happens if we lose Fages or Lomax to injury come the end of the season?

We should only look to sell a player if there is better available at a cheaper price, otherwise we are simply letting him go on the hope that someone else will do a better job.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    I agree, we need to keep our talent.

Who would we get instead of Richardson?
    Would they improve the side?
    What happens if we lose Fages or Lomax to injury come the end of the season?

We should only look to sell a player if there is better available at a cheaper price, otherwise we are simply letting him go on the hope that someone else will do a better job.
    Welsby to cover full back/ half back?
    Josh simm cover wing/ centre ?

Ideally we keep what we have but alot will come down to if danny richardson wants to leave. He is almost 23 an will want 1st team starting spot.

Ideally we keep what we have but alot will come down to if danny richardson wants to leave. He is almost 23 an will want 1st team starting spot.
    I don't really know anything about Simm, but I don't think Welsby is ready for an extended run if we do get an injury. I would like to see him fed in gradually against easier opposition.

With luck, at the end of the season he’ll have to choose between being a squad player at the Challenge Cup holding Grand Final winning club rather than be a starter at Hull KR*

*Random club

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I don't really know anything about Simm, but I don't think Welsby is ready for an extended run if we do get an injury. I would like to see him fed in gradually against easier opposition.
    Don,t think Simm is quite ready defensive wise, best potential is Welsby he has a great rugby brain but we don,t really know if he will turn out to be a full back, stand off or loose forward. He made quite a few errors that cost us against London Broncos the other week so he is still very much a work in progress. Dodd is another one but again not ready yet.

Holbrook will probably carry on using Costello to cover centre and full back and Welsby for stand off and full back also.

Don,t think Simm is quite ready defensive wise, best potential is Welsby he has a great rugby brain but we don,t really know if he will turn out to be a full back, stand off or loose forward. He made quite a few errors that cost us against London Broncos the other week so he is still very much a work in progress. Dodd is another one but again not ready yet.

Holbrook will probably carry on using Costello to cover centre and full back and Welsby for stand off and full back also.
    Re Welsby he does look good at times but the errores are what I was referring to. However he is young and inexperienced, so I am not at all writing him off.

Got A Season Ticket

We should keep hold of Danny if possible, nothing wrong with having 3 halfbacks battling for 2 spots plus resting and potential injuries. And with reserves next season all will carry on training together so pushing each other in training too. Must be a win win for the team.