Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 123456781424 ... LastLast

Thread: All quiet on the Justin front.

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Let's hope so, but if not, life goes on and so will our beloved Saints
    It’d be a shame if he goes but ^
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    It’d be a shame if he goes but ^
    But ^, Coote is just as important as Holbrook and he's staying which means our attacking plays will still be the same. For me if Holbrook stays it could announced tomorrow or maybe if or when we make the Challenge Cup Final. Looking back at Holbrook's quotes in mid April he said I have no future plans for 2020. all we can hope for is that he gives us another year and leaves with some sort of legacy success.

Banned

He’s 9 and a world beater......
    Wife beater more like.

Noooobie

Hopefully the club make an announcement this week. Just a few weeks ago Justin's contract was apparently done and dusted.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by tartansaint View Post
    Hopefully the club make an announcement this week. Just a few weeks ago Justin's contract was apparently done and dusted.
    Heard all should be revealed on Friday Evening

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    McManus also said that Barba wasn't leaving last season. https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/...n-speculation/
    Lets be realistic, if Holbrook gets a good enough offer he will go and no-one should blame him.
    Not once does that article have McManus saying Barba wasn’t leaving. Hardly the same as saying a contract for Holbrook is a formality (or words to that effect) which is what was supposed to be in League Express a few weeks back.

I like this quote from Eamon

“(Ben Barba) he is a lovely lad, very quiet, very humble and is very much a family man who keeps himself to himself.”

“(Ben Barba) he is a lovely lad, very quiet, very humble and is very much a family man who keeps himself to himself.”
    McManus should have mentioned Ben Barba (UK Version) only.

Learning All The Songs

I raised my eyebrows myself when I read that earlier.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    I raised my eyebrows myself when I read that earlier.
    But that was exactly the Ben Barba we all saw over here.

A Jekyll & Hyde character it would certainly seem - although there's a big dose of him being susceptible to bad influences.

Banned

Incidentally, I've heard from someone I know who doesn't get many scoops but I don't recall ever being wrong, that Holbrook is staying.

Hopefully he continues his run of correct snippets.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Only what Ex Parrer has read mate. But to be fair he is going to be mentioned for every job.

I think he'd be insane to go to the bulldogs they're in an absolute mess and replacing Dean Pay wouldn't help.

When he joined us we were disfunctional but we had a good squad, they're squad is not only rubbish but it's rubbish on big money. These players aren't going to slide away unpaid so it could take years to get a squad he can work with.

Read this about players still getting paid fortunes even though they've left, it's a shambles

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/rev...28-p518h2.html

Unfortunately we know his agent is only bothered about his cut and not what's best for his client ( as Ben Barba learned) but surely even he can see another successful 12 months with Saints and he could pick his club

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Canterbury currently have only 4 players contracted for season 2021, another 7 will be added by the beginning of 2020. It is currently estimated that for Season 2021, Canterbury have in excess of $8m of a $9m and change Salary Cap to spend, with the 7 for 2020 to be added it will still be $6m and some to spend for 2021. Most agree for Season 2021 Canterbury are sitting on the biggest SC warchest the game has seen since the introduction of the SC and are already targeting the biggest names off contract for 2021- Latrell Mitchell, very big chance of getting. The Turbo bros, some chance, maybe (loyalty and the Northern Beaches is a big thing for them, but if it's about money Canterbury won't be beaten).

Ryan Papenhauzen, Jai Arrow, Joseph Manu, are just a handfull of other names (including some from Super League) that are well within their budget.

The next Canterbury coach will have an opportunity to basically buy a Premiership ready squad of his choice for 2021 at a club with deep pockets and excellent facilities.

Which is why when Andrew Hill (Canterbury CEO) flew to Britain last week, if he offered Justin Holbrook the job as most think he did - Justin Holbrook will be the next Canterbury coach.

Noooobie

and btw, don't blame Justin Holbrook if he does.

He grew up a Canterbury supporter, played as a Canterbury Junior, coached lower grades at Canterbury.

He'll be going home to his dream job.

You'd do the same.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ripley View Post
    Canterbury currently have only 4 players contracted for season 2021, another 7 will be added by the beginning of 2020. It is currently estimated that for Season 2021, Canterbury have in excess of $8m of a $9m and change Salary Cap to spend, with the 7 for 2020 to be added it will still be $6m and some to spend for 2021. Most agree for Season 2021 Canterbury are sitting on the biggest SC warchest the game has seen since the introduction of the SC and are already targeting the biggest names off contract for 2021- Latrell Mitchell, very big chance of getting. The Turbo bros, some chance, maybe (loyalty and the Northern Beaches is a big thing for them, but if it's about money Canterbury won't be beaten).

Ryan Papenhauzen, Jai Arrow, Joseph Manu, are just a handfull of other names (including some from Super League) that are well within their budget.

The next Canterbury coach will have an opportunity to basically buy a Premiership ready squad of his choice for 2021 at a club with deep pockets and excellent facilities.

Which is why when Andrew Hill (Canterbury CEO) flew to Britain last week, if he offered Justin Holbrook the job as most think he did - Justin Holbrook will be the next Canterbury coach.
    You can quote all those names but have they signed?
    How did your recent big name buys work out?

The club's needs more than a revolving door on the coaches office

Last edited by Buddy; 9th July 2019 at 02:20.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    You can quote all those names but have they signed?
    How did your recent big name buys work out?

The club's needs more than a revolving door on the coaches office

Technically nobody in The NRL can be even approached until 1 year before their contract ends, which for Season 2021 is Dec 1 2019 (NRL have Nov 30 to Nov 30 contracts). And really I don't think anyone will be seriously approached until the new coach starts so he can have a big say on 2021 recruitment, so that won't be until... when does the SL season finish?

Day after that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Technically nobody in The NRL can be even approached until 1 year before their contract ends, which for Season 2021 is Dec 1 2019 (NRL have Nov 30 to Nov 30 contracts). And really I don't think anyone will be seriously approached until the new coach starts so he can have a big say on 2021 recruitment, so that won't be until... when does the SL season finish?

Day after that.
    I believe he will go by the way, but I think he would benefit from another year.

Starting A Programme Collection

If he does go , who will replace him .

Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    If he does go , we will replace him .
    FTFY

No man is bigger than the club.

Ask Ellery, Bazil, KC, Scully, Joynty, Longy, Jamie Lyon, Barba etc etc.

With respect to all those coaches and players, we saw success with them and without them. Life (and Saints) goes marching in!

and btw, don't blame Justin Holbrook if he does.

He grew up a Canterbury supporter, played as a Canterbury Junior, coached lower grades at Canterbury.

He'll be going home to his dream job.

You'd do the same.
    3 posts dedicated to why Holbrook is leaving......

Another troll joining up to stir the pot, or one of the regular trolls under a different login?

Que sera sera....

Edit

Now 5 posts........
    Last edited by RJM25R; 9th July 2019 at 09:36.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Well come Friday some posters will be right and others wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Justin has changed our club for the better let's just hope he will stay longer and if he chooses to go home let him go with our blessing.The only constant at a sports club are the fans and from time to time the coach and fans are in sync this is one of them let's enjoy it while it's here.

I hope he stays and puts trophies on the sideboard before he goes home with all our best wishes.
    Learned comment from The Don

Noooobie

3 posts dedicated to why Holbrook is leaving......

Another troll joining up to stir the pot, or one of the regular trolls under a different login?

Que sera sera....

I'm not trolling. I'll be up front - this thread was passed on Downunder and I was peruseing and seen the post about The Dogs SC problems so I thought I'd correct some misconceptions. The SC problems are very real this year and next, but as 3/4 of the current squad are off contract by the end of next year and won't be retained this is why The Dogs sit on such a warchest for '21 which is being offered to Holbrook to spend.

Again, not intending to troll. I'm just telling a mix of what I know and what I've been told by someone who hangs out in the right place in Belmore and then just adding the two together. What I know is Hill was in Britain last week and wasn't there for the weather, and I also know Holbrook has deep Canterbury ties back to childhood - supported them, played juniors for them, coached Reserve Grade to a GF.

What I was told was The Dogs have got him and he'll be there for '20.

BUT nothing has been signed yet as far as I know, and if there's one thing that can change everything it's money.

So if St Helens make him an offer he can't refuse everything changes - but that's what it's gonna take because all things being equal he's gone to The Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cojam24 View Post
    Heard all should be revealed on Friday Evening
    If that's true I can only see it being good news. We'd hardly announce he was going when we are hosting our biggest rivals, giving them the opportunity to gloat.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

That doesn't quite stack up McManus + Holbrook had discussions in the month of May to discuss the new contract, then the Cantebury CEO turned up last week. My gut feeling is that McManus offered him a 2 year contract but with a get out clause in Holbrook's favour, Holbrook mentioned he was going nowhere in 2020 so maybe Canterbury want him from 2021 onwards.

For Holbrook himself he mentioned in a self critical manner that he has to prove himself as being a successful coach last year he regarded last season as a failure for the club, team and coach.

Got A Season Ticket

Think the Canterbury CEO may have been in the country as well to complete the signing of George Williams, announced overnight, great NRL PR straight away the four Brits heads on bodies sat in a car together!