Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11212728293031

Thread: All quiet on the Justin front.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    No matter if we like it or not we are only going to get coaches from Australia in 2 ways, those looking to prove themselves or those on the way down.

Personally i think we should be very grateful Holbrook applied and was given the chance because we were in a mess.

I would be great if he stayed longer but it isn't to be

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    What I'll add to that is I hope the coaching staff can keep some of what he implemented. Obviously a new coach will have his own systems but we don't need a massive overhaul now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    What I'll add to that is I hope the coaching staff can keep some of what he implemented. Obviously a new coach will have his own systems but we don't need a massive overhaul now.
    Yes good point.

I can't help wondering how Long' s leaving is involved. Did he want the top job?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Yes good point.

I can't help wondering how Long' s leaving is involved. Did he want the top job?

Whats also to consider is how our attacking performances have shaped up since Longy has left has the Coote injury clouded that situation. The Long, Lol + Holbrook coaching pyramid was always a good combination and we won't have any one of them left at the end of the season. Our new coach might find it difficult to gel with our current assistant coaches so its going to be a challenge to get the transition right and keep the club structure fluent in the process.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

It's obvious when you look at us prior to his arrival were massively different to how we were. You've got to ask yourself how much of that change was down to the old coach underperforming as well though.

There's definitely been a big improvement both on and off the pitch and it's hard to tell as a fan how much is his doing and how much is down to the other staff in charge. His appointment was definitely a big changing point for us as a club and I just hope lessons have been learned the past few years as we definitely seem to be heading in a positive direction as a club.

As good as we've been since he's been here ultimately he'll be judged on 2 things, his impact to the club (which hes passed with flying colours) and pots, which up to now he's behind for me and this season will be the deciding factor for me, either him leaving as a legend or just someone who left the place in a better state than they got it.

You can definitely see from the video it's not been an easy choice for him and I genuinely wish him well in the future. He's been massive for putting us back on track. Once a saint always a saint.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Yes good point.

I've posted about this a couple of times and it's true he definitely had a chat with Holbrook and rush about the job but was told he wouldn't be considered and we'd be looking for a replacement from the NRL. Hence him going elsewhere, fair play to him he chose union over a rival. I spoke to him after it was announced and he said he wanted to leave the door open with saints for a return rather than go somewhere else.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I've posted about this a couple of times and it's true he definitely had a chat with Holbrook and rush about the job but was told he wouldn't be considered and we'd be looking for a replacement from the NRL. Hence him going elsewhere, fair play to him he chose union over a rival. I spoke to him after it was announced and he said he wanted to leave the door open with saints for a return rather than go somewhere else.
    I very much believe that regarding Long, we've always been a good fit for him and I believe him when I hear that. I also believe that now probably wasn't the right time for him to take, much the same with Wello and Marshall who I like both of.

I know I threw my toys out of the pram a bit but after thinking about it, an Aussie coach is the obvious choice although not that Brennan fella, there's something I don't like about him. To be honest I don't really know much about any of them except what I've read and been told. I'm sure there's plenty on here who know more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I very much believe that regarding Long, we've always been a good fit for him and I believe him when I hear that. I also believe that now probably wasn't the right time for him to take, much the same with Wello and Marshall who I like both of.

I know I threw my toys out of the pram a bit but after thinking about it, an Aussie coach is the obvious choice although not that Brennan fella, there's something I don't like about him. To be honest I don't really know much about any of them except what I've read and been told. I'm sure there's plenty on here who know more than me.
    It's ultimately always going to be a gamble. When we appointed Holbrook two other names that were reportedly in the mix were Brennan and Furner. Holbrook is now taking Brennan's job with Furner as his assistant, which shows that we made the right choice but could easily have made the wrong one. Hopefully we'll get it right again this time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    It's obvious when you look at us prior to his arrival were massively different to how we were. You've got to ask yourself how much of that change was down to the old coach underperforming as well though.

There's definitely been a big improvement both on and off the pitch and it's hard to tell as a fan how much is his doing and how much is down to the other staff in charge. His appointment was definitely a big changing point for us as a club and I just hope lessons have been learned the past few years as we definitely seem to be heading in a positive direction as a club.

As good as we've been since he's been here ultimately he'll be judged on 2 things, his impact to the club (which hes passed with flying colours) and pots, which up to now he's behind for me and this season will be the deciding factor for me, either him leaving as a legend or just someone who left the place in a better state than they got it.

You can definitely see from the video it's not been an easy choice for him and I genuinely wish him well in the future. He's been massive for putting us back on track. Once a saint always a saint.
    Agree wholeheartedly TF.
    There are a lot of dynamics that cannot be measured as such perhaps only guaged or felt. Reading Joynt and Scully`s auto bio`s they said that the Hanley & Millward disputes did not affect their play on the pitch. A few years ago I would say that a coach was easily replaced. I do not think that way now, the mechanics of RL is easy to teach, managing egos and personnality is not an easy task, it is very difficult to get everyone singing from the same hymn book. Justin has been a perfect fit at a perfect time. What cannot be doubted is the teams with Joynt/Sculthorpe would win in spite of who is in charge. If we are left with LLS only then the new head will push for dogged up the middle toughness over flair and panache. Time will tell, lets hope we win a title or three.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It's ultimately always going to be a gamble. When we appointed Holbrook two other names that were reportedly in the mix were Brennan and Furner. Holbrook is now taking Brennan's job with Furner as his assistant, which shows that we made the right choice but could easily have made the wrong one. Hopefully we'll get it right again this time.
    Well, yeah, when we're fighting for second best it's always going to be a gamble. At least we're best of the rest of you like to an Aussie looking in.

Quote Originally Posted by roylitherland View Post
    I thought their "nickname" was the "steelers" ??, this is a genuine question , not trying to be a smartarse .
    If you are talking about Gold Coast, it went: Gold Coast Giants > Gold Coast Seagulls (the one most rememeber) > Gold Coast Gladiators > Gold Coast Chargers > Gold Coast Titans.

Steelers were Illawarra Steelers, who merged with St George Dragons to become St George Illawarra Dragons. Hence opposing fans calling them St Merge.

Funny thing is there are old school loyalists in the NRL.
    Illawarra Steelers fans who hate St George for merging and dropping their name.
    Wests Magpies fans who hate Wests Tigers for merging and dropping their name.
    Newtown Jets fans - who I don't think hate any club, as the club was outed years ago from NRL but still remains in lower grades.
    North Sydney Bears fans - who I don't think hate any club, as the club was outed years ago from NRL but still remains in lower grades.
    NOTE: Posts made on this account are personal opinions, and not the collective opinions of The Kennel nor it's memberbase.

Got A Season Ticket

Interesting piece on JH from the NRL website- did he open a steakhouse in St Helens? https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/02/...stin-holbrook/

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrI-TK View Post
    If you are talking about Gold Coast, it went: Gold Coast Giants > Gold Coast Seagulls (the one most rememeber) > Gold Coast Gladiators > Gold Coast Chargers > Gold Coast Titans.

Steelers were Illawarra Steelers, who merged with St George Dragons to become St George Illawarra Dragons. Hence opposing fans calling them St Merge.

Funny thing is there are old school loyalists in the NRL.
    Illawarra Steelers fans who hate St George for merging and dropping their name.
    Wests Magpies fans who hate Wests Tigers for merging and dropping their name.
    Newtown Jets fans - who I don't think hate any club, as the club was outed years ago from NRL but still remains in lower grades.
    North Sydney Bears fans - who I don't think hate any club, as the club was outed years ago from NRL but still remains in lower grades.
    Didn't norths merge with manly before a full takeover..

Much like the Hull/Gateshead, Huddersfield/Sheffield merger here

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    It's ultimately always going to be a gamble. When we appointed Holbrook two other names that were reportedly in the mix were Brennan and Furner.

When I was Googling for the current odds for Holbrook's replacement, an article came up from back then showing Dave Fairleigh as 4-1 favourite to get the job.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    When I was Googling for the current odds for Holbrook's replacement, an article came up from back then showing Dave Fairleigh as 4-1 favourite to get the job.
    You find any odds apart from BetFred?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    You find any odds apart from BetFred?

No. They're the bookies with the links to the sport, so at least they're showing enough interest.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

Yeah they were the Northern Eagles; a shotgun marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post

Yes and no. They merged and then split after like a year or two again.
    NOTE: Posts made on this account are personal opinions, and not the collective opinions of The Kennel nor it's memberbase.