Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: All quiet on the Justin front.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    I wonder why BBC rugby league have announced his impending departure but our Saints Website hasn't?
    Because Saints (and the Titans) won't announce anything until it is official.

Anything else is speculation, albeit potentially accurate speculation

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

Maybe because of that 5 year plan he is under no pressure next season, if they wanted immediate results its possible Holbrook would have seen a 1 year extension with us a been a better option until something better comes around.
    If what you say about a 5-year plan is correct, then I agree with this para. Makes far more sense than a headlong dive into a potentially career-destroying position.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    If what you say about a 5-year plan is correct, then I agree with this para. Makes far more sense than a headlong dive into a potentially career-destroying position.
    Which of our players do we have out of contract in 2021 because I think Holbrook will have the go ahead to start recruiting and team building in that season.

Got A Season Ticket

Which of our players do we have out of contract in 2021 because I think Holbrook will have the go ahead to start recruiting and team building in that season.
    Coote
    Grace
    Percival
    Naqiama
    Faces
    Roby
    Knowles
    Paolo
    Lees

Thompson, Taia, Peyroux, LMS, Richardson, Costello and Bentley all out of contract in 2020.

Hopefully we get a few of those tied up.

Banned

There are obvious targets like Thompson, but I think Thompson could have the pick of NRL clubs and unless he has a particular affinity with Holbrook, I'd expect him to be looking at one of the clubs who perennially challenge for the GF. Not sure Walmsley is hot on the idea of moving over to Aus (and I don't think he'd be as effective over there, with their fiercer defences). Makinson is under contract and will be 29 next year so he may have missed the chance, but who knows.

I said yesterday that I think Holbrook might target Coote. I don't know how he and his family have subsequently settled (we all though Holbrook & family were settled & happy in sunny Tellins) but he wasn't happy at the prospect of having to leave the NRL to continue his career. He's central to how Holbrook likes to play the game and, whilst I don't know what the Titans incumbent FB is like, Holbrook might see Coote as his on-field lieutenant, and Coote might see that option as a way back to the NRL.

Knowles is the other fear. He is ideally suited to the NRL and progressing into a top class player. He was happy to move here from Barrow at a young age, so maybe willing to take a bigger step.

Grace and Percival aren't IMO suited to the NRL. Lees & Ashworth are still to prove themselves.

Knowles is the other fear. He is ideally suited to the NRL and progressing into a top class player. He was happy to move here from Barrow at a young age, so maybe willing to take a bigger step.
    Aye - they’d love Knowles over there.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by roy litherland View Post
    Sorry Bernard no where near , and I shall leave it there till things are sorted .
    Well then, please put me out of my misery and tell me where the 'S' goes.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    If he leaves before the end of the season, as that report might suggest, that could see our season go tits up
    It says nothing of the sort.

It's a typical throw away journo line that means nothing.

"If Holbrook gets the role, it’s unclear whether he’ll leave St Helens immediately or finish the Super League season before returning to Australia."

It's unclear to the journo as they have not confirmed the details as the details have not been published. But that is a far stretch to suggest that the entire article suggest he would leave before the end of the season.

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    It says nothing of the sort.

It's a typical throw away journo line that means nothing.

"If Holbrook gets the role, it’s unclear whether he’ll leave St Helens immediately or finish the Super League season before returning to Australia."

It's unclear to the journo as they have not confirmed the details as the details have not been published. But that is a far stretch to suggest that the entire article suggest he would leave before the end of the season.
    I'd take no notice mate every post is some kind of doom and gloom nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another alter ego for someone

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    I'd take no notice mate every post is some kind of doom and gloom nonsense. I wouldn't be surprised if it was another alter ego for someone
    The chairman has been directly quoted in the press as saying that the coach will definitely remain in post until the end of the season and contingency plans are already in place with regards to a new coach, I would expect a press release to be made at exactly the same time in Australia and UK.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StillInTesco View Post
    Coote - would be 31 so probably wouldn't be leaving to go home.
    Grace - I don't think he's big enough to play in the NRL.
    Percival - A possibility to leave but not irreplaceable.
    Naqiama - Wouldn't be that bothered if he left now.
    Faces - Hopefully he hasn't got 2 of them.
    Roby - Highly unlikely to leave, more likely to retire.
    Knowles - One I'm worried about.
    Paolo - Would be happy if he left now.
    Lees - Not sure.

Thompson, Taia, Peyroux, LMS, Richardson, Costello and Bentley all out of contract in 2020.

Hopefully we get a few of those tied up.
    Out of the lads OOC next year I'd want to keep Thommo and Bentley.

Noooobie

There are obvious targets like Thompson, but I think Thompson could have the pick of NRL clubs and unless he has a particular affinity with Holbrook, I'd expect him to be looking at one of the clubs who perennially challenge for the GF. Not sure Walmsley is hot on the idea of moving over to Aus (and I don't think he'd be as effective over there, with their fiercer defences). Makinson is under contract and will be 29 next year so he may have missed the chance, but who knows.

I said yesterday that I think Holbrook might target Coote. I don't know how he and his family have subsequently settled (we all though Holbrook & family were settled & happy in sunny Tellins) but he wasn't happy at the prospect of having to leave the NRL to continue his career. He's central to how Holbrook likes to play the game and, whilst I don't know what the Titans incumbent FB is like, Holbrook might see Coote as his on-field lieutenant, and Coote might see that option as a way back to the NRL.

Grace and Percival aren't IMO suited to the NRL. Lees & Ashworth are still to prove themselves.
    Good post.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Wherever Holbrook goes, Thompson will follow. If I was Holbrook, I’d have made it a condition of my contract.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Wherever Holbrook goes, Thompson will follow. If I was Holbrook, I’d have made it a condition of my contract.
    Do you know this as fact?

Got A Season Ticket

How is that even possible given the fact that the player is contracted to another club until the end of the 2020 season?

If it was a condition, and Thompson decided to stay at Saints or move to a different NRL club, would that make Holbrook's contract void?

I think this whole “taking players with him” is a bit of a nonsense. Happy to be put right but I can’t think of many examples when it’s happened with previous coaches

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think this whole “taking players with him” is a bit of a nonsense. Happy to be put right but I can’t think of many examples when it’s happened with previous coaches
    Exactly. I can't think of any examples either.

I have a feeling that Thompson might go when his contract expires after next season. But I don't think that Holbrook leaving will make this more or less likely.

Starting A Programme Collection

Daftest post of the year.

I remember when Nathan Brown won us the LLS and grand final then went to Newcastle and took all our players with him.

Upside
    Non Members

I remember when Nathan Brown won us the LLS and grand final then went to Newcastle and took all our players with him.
    We had to use the majority of blackbrook first team for the first half of the season following his departure

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    We had to use the majority of blackbrook first team for the first half of the season following his departure

Ahh yes I remember, because brown took everyone with him

Upside
    Non Members

He also took the Blackpool stand off and one of the centres, we played for a few weeks with a lad from eccleston lions and a centre from pilks

Not easy but the point is we will get by, some good lads down at pilks will get a run out next year no doubt if Holbrook leaves

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    He also took the Blackpool stand off and one of the centres, we played for a few weeks with a lad from eccleston lions and a centre from pilks

Not easy but the point is we will get by, some good lads down at pilks will get a run out next year no doubt if Holbrook leaves
    I totally agree, I think the guys running the club have learned a lot the past few years. Hence the reason long wasn't given the job.

Has anyone thought he could still fail this year and the new guy could be the key to getting us over the line? Or is it all just thoughts of him running off, us folding and all our players moving across the world?

Learning All The Songs

I wish Brown had taken Cunningham with him.

Upside
    Non Members

I totally agree, I think the guys running the club have learned a lot the past few years. Hence the reason long wasn't given the job.

Has anyone thought he could still fail this year and the new guy could be the key to getting us over the line? Or is it all just thoughts of him running off, us folding and all our players moving across the world?
    Agreed. If we win or fail this year people will attribute that to Holbrook leaving regardless. I'm not sure what happens next year will affect much this season, players have worked so hard to get to this point they will want to go all the way

Next season will be a new dawn, nothing stays the same forever, we will make it work again