Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Britain v Super League select side

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Our clubs are ALOT more pro international RL than the NRL. I think if there is genuine interest and we're playing in front of sell out crowds at RL grounds with the potential to have them in football grounds then they'd be all for it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    Reece Lynne been eye catching over last 12 month's. IMO Saint's use to rely on Percival to pull something special out of the bag if you go back to before JH came to us. Regan Grace, Tommy Mac, Fage & Lomax have all come on in leaps & bounds under JH. For me Percival seems to have stood still as far as personal development. Surely JH has worked on his passing to the winger but this part of his game hasn't got any better. He is great at a big hit in a tackle but sometimes has brain farts in defence. I just think it's strange how so many players seem to have excelled under JH when Percival IMO at best seems to be standing still.
    My main gripe with Percival is that he makes too many daft errors and has a tendency to grab at the shoulder now and then in defence. Whilst these are relatively minor against the scale of his performances at club level, for a defensive minded and possession orientated coach like Bennett they are major problems.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    Our clubs are ALOT more pro international RL than the NRL. I think if there is genuine interest and we're playing in front of sell out crowds at RL grounds with the potential to have them in football grounds then they'd be all for it
    Mid season though?

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Again I think if there is genuine interest they'd be willing. Alot needs to happen. Reasonable ticket prices (25 maximum for the very best seats). At least a year of marketing from the RFL, and as we get closer then all SL teams and players advertising the hell out of it via Twitter etc. I think England vs Australia at Langtree, Halliwell Jones with enough time and correct planning should sell out. If that happens then it attracts more interest from sponsers, then the following year push for sell outs at DW, KC stadium. Bring the CC forward to May and leave the test for a stand alone weekend in July. Bring SL forward a week. Expand from 12 to 14 teams with Toronto or Toulouse (another kettle of fish I know) then we play 26 games in the calender year instead of 27 and that leaves 2 weekends where we can put the tests in.
    Last edited by SaintJon; 24th June 2019 at 16:00.

In The South Stand

The Exiles concept, which this effectively is, was a poor idea and poorly attended, I know we’ve gone back to old stuff this year but we don’t need to go back to this.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Gildart will almost certainly be in the squad and to be fair is a decent player. Cudjoe i doubt will be anywhere near the squad and seems to of stalled as a player. Jones is having a good year and might ( very outside chance ) make the squad as a 2nd row,but there are a few ahead of him ( Bateman may get picked in centre again so there may be a 2nd row spot )
    I Think if we need a centre Gildart will probably get the nod over Percy, though Percy still has time to get up to speed after his lay off. The way Bateman has been playing in Aus you would hope we pick him in the pack. I think what may sway Bennet to pick Bateman at centre is the number of good forwards we have.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    The Exiles concept, which this effectively is, was a poor idea and poorly attended, I know we’ve gone back to old stuff this year but we don’t need to go back to this.
    Why was it poor? It had some merit and what other options do we have?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I Think if we need a centre Gildart will probably get the nod over Percy, though Percy still has time to get up to speed after his lay off. The way Bateman has been playing in Aus you would hope we pick him in the pack. I think what may sway Bennet to pick Bateman at centre is the number of good forwards we have.
    I wouldn't be disappointed if Gildart did get the nod,he is an actual centre. Picking Bateman there. Shouldn't really be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Upside View Post
    Why was it poor? It had some merit and what other options do we have?
    I thought it was a potentially interesting concept, but neither the fans nor the players took it seriously, so it was a non-starter.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I doubt that was really said as selectors would either have had to exclude from international consideration players from the likes of Cumbria or would have had to pick non-Yorkshire/Lancashire players for such an “Origin” game which would have devalued any inter-county rivalry.
    Not all the players playing in State Of Origin are from NSW or Queensland. Pongia playing fullback for Queensland was brought up in Western Australia which is probably a 5 or 6 hour flight away across Australia and there have been countless others too.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shady Saint View Post
    Not all the players playing in State Of Origin are from NSW or Queensland. Pongia playing fullback for Queensland was brought up in Western Australia which is probably a 5 or 6 hour flight away across Australia and there have been countless others too.
    I may be wrong but I've always thought the qualifying criteria was based on which State a player first starts playing as a professional. Or something along those lines. As I say, I may be completely wrong.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    I may be wrong but I've always thought the qualifying criteria was based on which State a player first starts playing as a professional. Or something along those lines. As I say, I may be completely wrong.
    I seem to remember a few years ago when there was talk of Adrian Morley playing state of origin, I don't know how that would happen but like you I could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    I wouldn't be disappointed if Gildart did get the nod,he is an actual centre. Picking Bateman there. Shouldn't really be an option.
    He has had quite a decent season ,especially when you consider the scraps they get from the Wigan front row.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    That's one criteria.

https://www.nrl.com/SysSiteAssets/do...lity-rules.pdf

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Wow. You can't beat a good flowchart

Didn't realise it was so convoluted. Thanks.