Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Didn’t even get out of second gear...

Default Didn’t even get out of second gear...

We clearly didn’t do this last night. We had a decent first ten minutes then an average 30 (Tommy flying in notwithstanding) and in the second half we had an average half hour and then a ruthless last ten minutes.

It felt as though we were on cruise control, but no matter how much hyperbole the Sky commentators threw at it Leeds never looked like scoring except their two fortuitous tries.

I thought we went too far trying to be overly expansive at times when we had tackles in the bag and the offloads were a bit scrappy but I suppose you can experiment and throw the ball around against a team you are beating so easily in 2nd gear......

We missed Robes but the boy Smith put in a great effort that will do his confidence no harm and Mr Perpetual Motion will hopefully be back to his best towards the business end of the season.

Overall I was happy with the result and Holbrook’s rotations because we’ve got such a cushion in the league now that next week against Wire is a nothing game anyway, no matter how many ‘planes Rubber Duckie flies over the TWS or how many Wolfs are waiting.

We have a great record there plus when we have a poor/bang average game this season, we tend to give our opponents a spanking in the next game..... all we have to do to beat Wire is go through the gears, and not stay in Second.....
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    We clearly didn’t do this last night. We had a decent first ten minutes then an average 30 (Tommy flying in notwithstanding) and in the second half we had an average half hour and then a ruthless last ten minutes.

It felt as though we were on cruise control, but no matter how much hyperbole the Sky commentators threw at it Leeds never looked like scoring except their two fortuitous tries.

I thought we went too far trying to be overly expansive at times when we had tackles in the bag and the offloads were a bit scrappy but I suppose you can experiment and throw the ball around against a team you are beating so easily in 2nd gear......

We missed Robes but the boy Smith put in a great effort that will do his confidence no harm and Mr Perpetual Motion will hopefully be back to his best towards the business end of the season.

Overall I was happy with the result and Holbrook’s rotations because we’ve got such a cushion in the league now that next week against Wire is a nothing game anyway, no matter how many ‘planes Rubber Duckie flies over the TWS or how many Wolfs are waiting.

We have a great record there plus when we have a poor/bang average game this season, we tend to give our opponents a spanking in the next game..... all we have to do to beat Wire is go through the gears, and not stay in Second.....
    Pretty much sums it up. We won, we move on to the next game where I expect us to be better especially with Knowles returning who had been awesome this year.

The only real concern where the injuries to Taia and Percival. Don't expect Percival's to be bad but let's pray for some good news on Taia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

A lot of it is to do with the interchange of the forwards.
    When Lee's and Ashworth came on they were not as effective as Thompson and Walmsley and our attack went very flat.
    Walmsley then Thompson came back on in the last quarter we picked up.
    Its happening in most games this year

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    When Lee's and Ashworth came on they were not as effective as Thompson and Walmsley and our attack went very flat.
    Very true. The middle part of our games is often a bit of a stalemate

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I also think Thaler contributed to our performance. He was whistle happy all night and and we couldn't seem to build any momentum

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I don't think Ashworth has much of an impact at the moment we relied a lot on LMS for go forward momentum when Walmsley and Thompson went off.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

As much as I want to support home grown players 49 metres off 11 carries is yet another example of why Lees isn’t good enough at the moment. Tops the league on missed tackles, doesn’t make metres, tackle busts, clean breaks or offloads and is often dominated in tackles with just 2 defenders. 21 is still very young for a prop but he just looks too lightweight at the moment.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Starting A Programme Collection

Summed up perfectly. We still need 1more big yardage maker in the front row.

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    As much as I want to support home grown players 49 metres off 11 carries is yet another example of why Lees isn’t good enough at the moment. Tops the league on missed tackles, doesn’t make metres, tackle busts, clean breaks or offloads and is often dominated in tackles with just 2 defenders. 21 is still very young for a prop but he just looks too lightweight at the moment.
    A couple of things.

I would not expect lees and ashworth to give anything like the same impact as 2 international prop forwards. So I think that is a bit of an unfair comparison.

Also this is a salary capped sport. So should we sell fages or Percival or tia for another top class prop?

Or do we ashworth and lees are good standard SL props and have bags of time and skill to develop into their mid 20s.

Lets remember in the pecking order lees and ashworth are supposed to be 5th and 6th choice props, behind lms, amor (also Douglas).

You can't have world class 1-25

Quote Originally Posted by 58er View Post
    Summed up perfectly. We still need 1more big yardage maker in the front row.
    I think so too. Ashworth looked great in the back row last year but less effective at prop running at equally big men. Lees does maybe need more time to develop. Amor made a decent start to the season but looks easy to put down again when the defence is set

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Day View Post
    I think so too. Ashworth looked great in the back row last year but less effective at prop running at equally big men. Lees does maybe need more time to develop. Amor made a decent start to the season but looks easy to put down again when the defence is set
    Despite Lees poor missed tackle count and low metres I can see why Holbrook keeps selecting him. Its his line speed to get into the opposition be it defending or attacking and generally his dynamic approach, the missed tackles are usually the ones were he slows down the effective impact making it easier for the second tackler to come in, for his metres he is the most direct forward we have and quite often finds his front with a quick PTB. He only needs a slight improvement in both those areas and I reckon he needs game time and that why Holbrook keeps playing him.

For Ashworth he doesn't seem to be using his size, strength and speed, he could be having a second season syndrome similar to the one Joe Greenwood had. I thought Holbrook would have had him involved in more set plays, maybe he doesn't know if he is a prop or a 2nd row.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Pretty much sums it up. We won, we move on to the next game where I expect us to be better especially with Knowles returning who had been awesome this year.

The only real concern where the injuries to Taia and Percival. Don't expect Percival's to be bad but let's pray for some good news on Taia.
    I fear Taia's season might be over

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I also think Thaler contributed to our performance. He was whistle happy all night and and we couldn't seem to build any momentum

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Spot on, Thayler attempting to snatch the spotlight! Penalty count seemed awful at one point, not sure what it actually was. Leeds never looked like troubling us, which oddly seemed to inspire us to try to score on every play, which then led to errors. Pretty convincing performance, we'll be better against a better team next week.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

The 2nd half against Leeds was a tough 40mins and it was quite a good test for us.

Recently a lot of games have lacked intensity.
    We've got three difficult games coming up and it will help to sharpen us up.

In the easier games we tend to develop a tendency to try and score off every play but against Warrington, Hull and Wigan we need to be a bit more controlled.