Hattons Solicitors Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 80

Thread: 19 man squad v Leeds

  1. #51
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    1,094
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Taia dislocated shoulder. Will have a scan to see how long but doesn't sound good.

    Percival tight hamstring so can see him missing a game or two.

    Doesn’t sound good on Taia but we don’t really have any big games coming up so we should be fine with Bentley there, if he is the replacement.

  2. #52
    Learning All The Songs jonimac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    North Stand 'D' Blocker
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Don't think I've seen a worse Leeds team. Knew they couldn't win so they spoiled the second half aided and abetted by Mr Thaler who looks unfit to me. Haven't decided whether or not I want to watch it back.

  3. #53
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,039
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Agree that it was all a bit sloppy. We seemed to try and play a lot of passing between the forwards and it just didnt work. Maybe the absence of Knowles and Paulo, two ball players in the middle, meant we needed to play differently and led to players having to do things they arent used to doing

    I actually thought Leeds dug in reasonably well but if wed have clicked as we can wed have got 50 easily

  4. #54
    In The South Stand retro74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St Helens, Lancashire
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,263
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Awful game with a terrible ref

    Leeds are so bad they had every single decision and still got bummed

    We must have knocked on 10 sets out of 12 at one point and still won easily

  5. #55
    Got A Season Ticket MickeyMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Preston
    Posts
    367
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Just watching after getting home. On the ground I thought it was a high tackle from Peyroux but watching on tv he seems to hit the shoulder and then miss the head altogether.
    Also another commentator mixing up Grace and Naiqama on about 59 mins.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

  6. #56
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chiang Rai Thailand
    Posts
    574
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMo View Post
    Just watching after getting home. On the ground I thought it was a high tackle from Peyroux but watching on tv he seems to hit the shoulder and then miss the head altogether.
    Also another commentator mixing up Grace and Naiqama on about 59 mins.
    Got to admit Mickey I also mix up these two .

  7. #57
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chiang Rai Thailand
    Posts
    574
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Taia dislocated shoulder. Will have a scan to see how long but doesn't sound good.

    Percival tight hamstring so can see him missing a game or two.
    I hope I am not putting the mockers on Taia but a dislocated shoulder can be a nightmare & take forever to come right .
    Last edited by fonsboy; 22nd June 2019 at 01:49.

  8. #58
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    9,498
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Leeds look terrible. Are they spending to the full cap? If so they can’t have spent it wisely. They have plenty youngsters who won’t be on huge money. Its not like they have a ton of players out injured. Even at full strength they just don’t look to have a good balance of talent across the squad.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

  9. #59
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Heath
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I agree with all that is being said about Saints performance and the state of Leeds. I would just add I thought we lacked any kind of imagination or cutting edge for lengthy spells when in Leeds 20 metre area. There didn't seem to be anyone controlling things for us which was another disappointing aspect for me.

  10. #60
    In The South Stand Ralph Fridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Around
    Posts
    2,749
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I thought we were awful & Leeds were luckily, utterly hopeless.
    What was needed was some set completion & to play them down their end of the field for a bit.

    We played helter skelter rugby & made it a lot more difficult than it should have been.

    Concerns have been raised about this before but last night, we really could have done with a commanding half to take control. I am a bit worried for how we will deal with things going wrong in a crunch game
    Dave Woods: the guy who makes Eddie Hemmings look like a decent commentator

  11. #61
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Haydock
    Posts
    426
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    I hope I am not putting the mockers on Taia but a dislocated shoulder can be a nightmare & take forever to come right .
    Depends what damaged was caused to the ligaments and tissue around the socket. It sounds like it went back in pretty much straight away which is always a good thing. Without knowing the severity i would imagine your looking at anything between 8 and 12 weeks.

  12. #62
    Got A Season Ticket undertheradar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    N-L-W
    Posts
    409
    Rep Power
    6

    Default 19 man squad v Leeds

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I thought we were awful & Leeds were luckily, utterly hopeless.
    What was needed was some set completion & to play them down their end of the field for a bit.

    We played helter skelter rugby & made it a lot more difficult than it should have been.

    Concerns have been raised about this before but last night, we really could have done with a commanding half to take control. I am a bit worried for how we will deal with things going wrong in a crunch game
    My thoughts exactly. I said on another thread a few weeks ago that, as good as Fages has been this season, we still need a controlling half back to compliment lomax.

    The last few weeks weve lost our way in the middle of matches (after starting well) and lacked any sort of direction.

    That lack of direction could cost us in the big games when its tight.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #63
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,365
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fonsboy View Post
    Got to admit Mickey I also mix up these two .
    Although they look similar, I can’t understand why a professional commentator cannot remember that they stand 40-50 metres apart most of the time so the opportunities to mix them up are few and far between.

  14. #64
    Starting A Programme Collection The frenchman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Crank caverns
    Posts
    868
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I was working last night so only caught parts of the game on my phone. From what I did see, we just didn't respect the ball. We were in front on the scoreboard and were trying to be Harlem Globetrotters. Play our sets out, make them throw the ball about and feed off their mistakes. I don't mean take our foot off the gas I mean put it on their throat. Start practicing knock out football.

    Thought we missed Paulo and knowles linkup in the middle and were maybe guilty of trying too hard. Was that the reason we looked like we were panicking at times. We seemed to go away from what weve done well so far all season. People call Paulo but Louie can't do what him and knowles do, did he get sky mom? Thought he came up with quite a few errors.

    By the end we were missing about 5 or 6 starters so to not play well and put 36 on them was good. How far have Leeds fallen, some of their fans saying it was a pleasing performance. At no point did I think we would come close to loosing.
    Last edited by The frenchman; 22nd June 2019 at 09:32.

  15. #65
    Learning All The Songs Tabasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rivington Road, St Helens
    Posts
    2,365
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I’m content with the performance given that we won while missing a couple of key players and not playing anywhere near our best for most of the game. Much better to win relatively low-key games against weaker opposition without hitting the heights for most of the game and peak with stellar performances when we face top opponents.

  16. #66
    In The South Stand Sean Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,039
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I’m content with the performance given that we won while missing a couple of key players and not playing anywhere near our best for most of the game. Much better to win relatively low-key games against weaker opposition without hitting the heights for most of the game and peak with stellar performances when we face top opponents.
    I agree. Impossible to be at your best for 30 plus games. I think if the opposition was stronger we’d have been a bit more selective with our passes. It was so easy last night that rightly or wrongly we were trying all kinds knowing we weren’t going to get punished if it didn’t come off. Put Knowles and to some extent Paulo back in and everything settles down again

  17. #67
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,251
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    In terms of how we attack, I think it’s a necessity to have two ball playing 13’s or at least two 13’s who can use the ball and obviously they were both missing last night. The passes that Paulo and Knowles typically get right in their sleep weren’t hitting the mark or weren’t even being thrown and I thought that was a big reason why we struggled in attack. There’s a natural dip in performance when Walmsley and Thompson go off anyway but with the two loose forwards missing, it was just a bit more obvious.

    Other than that I thought we were OK to be honest. When Walmsley and Thompson were on we were fine, we started well and finished well. Just made too many errors with the ball either side of half-time.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  18. #68
    In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,251
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    . People call Paulo but Louie can't do what him and knowles do, did he get sky mom? Thought he came up with quite a few errors.

    By the end we were missing about 5 or 6 starters so to not play well and put 36 on them was good. How far have Leeds fallen, some of their fans saying it was a pleasing performance. At no point did I think we would come close to loosing.
    I think Paulo is underrated mate. He comes on at an awkward time and he doesn’t have Walmsley and Thompson alongside him either for the first 20/25 mins of his stint which makes it tougher for him as well but we certainly missed him last night in the second half.

    Agree on Leeds as well. Shaun Wane would do a lot of good for that club IMO.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

  19. #69
    In The West Stand Belgian Saint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    5,655
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    For me we need to learn that we don't need to be expansive on every set we caused too many errors forcing passes that were not on. Even though we put ourselves under pressure I thought we defended well. I don't think we were ever in any trouble, but it could have been different but for those first 4 mins.

    Someone above mentioned the sky commentators. I usually have a go at Clarke, but last night I thought he was very good. He started with the other games and I thought he was Knowledgeable, fair and balanced with all of them. Then he came onto our game and was absolutely gushing over Saints. The ground is fantastic, we are the best team SL has seen for 10 - 15 years. No one else can play at our level. I don't know why the change and my view of him last night started before he got to our game.

    Hopefully I don't have to slag him off again next week.

  20. #70
    Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,391
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I feel we are very complacent at the minute as we know we can comfortably beat most teams. It has only bitten us twice this season so far. I hope we can snap out of this for the bigger games, starting next week. If not, we could see a repeat of last season.

    Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Tapatalk

  21. #71
    Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,593
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    It was a very scratchy game and I can't really add much to the insight already offered. I think the coach said as much at the end of the game.

    However, I think we can't use this to worry too much about the big games. The concentration levels will be much improved and we will have a far better completion rate.

    My main worry for the big games is Hull fc. They seemed to have discovered a rich vein of form at the moment.

    They could be the real threat rather than Warrington.

  22. #72
    In The South Stand STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    3,612
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    It was a very scratchy game and I can't really add much to the insight already offered. I think the coach said as much at the end of the game.

    However, I think we can't use this to worry too much about the big games. The concentration levels will be much improved and we will have a far better completion rate.

    My main worry for the big games is Hull fc. They seemed to have discovered a rich vein of form at the moment.

    They could be the real threat rather than Warrington.
    I don't think our players will have any problems being up for next weeks game.

    The resurgent of Hull has come at a good time and I hope it continues, they can put pressure on Warrington. If we beat Warrington next week and Hull win their own game then they are breathing down their necks for 2nd place, the CC semi final game will be similar pressure.

  23. #73
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Just wondering if any of my fellow saints fans think we practically now have one hand on the league leaders shield?

  24. #74
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    405
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    And I'm wondering if I've been brave, stupid or just confident as just bought my Grand Final ticket? I bought my ticket for last year's final early and suffered serious verbal abuse sat amongst a load of pies

  25. #75
    In The West Stand paulscnthorpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    St Helens
    Age
    35
    Posts
    7,434
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mancunian Saint View Post
    Just wondering if any of my fellow saints fans think we practically now have one hand on the league leaders shield?
    Yep definitely one hand, and if we won on Friday I'd say two hands!

    Even know we'd have to lose 1/4 of our games, should warrington win everyone of there's, which given the standard of the league seems unlikely

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •