Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the first time.....

Got A Replica Shirt

Default For the first time.....

I can remember, I can't think of a single Superleague player I want. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on this but looking around the league I can't find one player that I'd have at Saints. Blake Austin? Good player but I prefer Lomax, Liam Watts? Good prop but Walmsley and Thompson are better, Tom Johnstone? Makinson is better and Grace is well on his way (and touch wood, fares much better with injuries) Jackson Hastings? Again good but more than happy with Theo, Gildart? Percy is better. Since Bateman left for the NRL I'm struggling to think of a SL based improvement. Any thoughts?

Interesting post this.

I'd have Watts mate no danger. If he came in as a replacement for Amor/Douglas but absolutely not if he was in place of Walmsley, Thompson, Ashworth or Lees.

I bang on about it to the point where people are sick of me but one more big tough grafter in the pack would really make us formidable.

I'd consider Fifita at Wakey & I like the centre too. Toupou.

Jake Connor I would have at Saints. He's quality

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Interesting post this.

I'd have Watts mate no danger. If he came in as a replacement for Amor/Douglas but absolutely not if he was in place of Walmsley, Thompson, Ashworth or Lees.

I bang on about it to the point where people are sick of me but one more big tough grafter in the pack would really make us formidable.

Agree with these Ralph bar one!

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Watts would get into our 17 IMO, him coming off the bench with Lomax, Fages and Coote running off his ball playing through the middle would be pretty formidable when the opposition are tiring. Be a nightmare to defend against.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Got A Replica Shirt

Interesting post this.

Yeah, I ummmed and agreed about Connor but he seems like too much of an A-hole for not enough improvement, I do like Fifita too but wouldn't swap for Walmsley or Thompson. Might be the old red and white specs but I don't think we've got a single player who would be considered outside of the top 3 in their respective positions. I can't remember thst happening before, even the 2006 team didn't have thus luxury!!! I do think it is partially down to the standard of other teams and us looking like superstars by comparison but we look good across the squad right now...... I am also acutely aware that we've won knack all yet!!!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Watts for the 17, but not instead of Walmsley nor Thompson.

In The West Stand

Personally rate Taylor above Watts as I don’t think you could transplant Watts game at Cas into a side like Saints, where as Taylor is just a very good prop who would complement Thompson and Walmsley well. Also heard too many things about Watts being a nightmare to manage off the pitch.

These threads can get a bit Fantasy Manager-y though and the reality is that whilst there are probably 4 or 5 props (Watts, Taylor, Fafita, Bousquet and maybe Mulhern but he seems to have gone off the boil) who could improve on Amor, I doubt we could get any of them on Amors contract. That’s the Brad Singleton, Tony Clubb, Lama Tasi bucket...

There are players like Currie (though again not on current form, seems to be going through similar to Watkins) or McMeekan who would improve our backrow, but they don’t offer masses on what we already have, other than a massive contract.

As for Connor, I wouldn’t have him at Fullback over Coote, at centre over Naiqama or Percival, and not at 6 over Lomax. Imo he’s going the way of Ratchford as a jack of all master of none. Some classy touches at times to remind us all he has the capability, but too easy to force into drifting through a game.

I really hope we do sign someone for next year (preferably a replacement for Amor) - because I think it’s important we keep improving, but it’s hard to see where it comes from.

In The South Stand

Interesting post this.

Watching Cas v Hull FC on Thursday night made me think that I wouldn’t mind Jake Connor at Saints for pure entertainment value alone. His break and delicate pass to Kelly (for one of Kelly’s tries) brightened up the game. Not sure about his temperament though. He not only winds up the opposition but seems to have a short fuse himself. Realistically, I doubt that he’s a player that Saints would sign but when he applies himself he is quality. He also seemed to get in with Tommy Makinson when playing for England.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Watching Cas v Hull FC on Thursday night made me think that I wouldn’t mind Jake Connor at Saints for pure entertainment value alone. His break and delicate pass to Kelly (for one of Kelly’s tries) brightened up the game. Not sure about his temperament though. He not only winds up the opposition but seems to have a short fuse himself. Realistically, I doubt that he’s a player that Saints would sign but when he applies himself he is quality. He also seemed to get in with Tommy Makinson when playing for England.
    I was thinking exactly the same when watching Connor on Thursday - he is a handful but as far as I am aware has given Hull 100 per cent - handful on the pitch but not Wigan-esque off it.
    Would take managing - my feeling is ( even if a different position) would be a great acquisition like Leon Pryce was at the time.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Personally rate Taylor above Watts as I don’t think you could transplant Watts game at Cas into a side like Saints, where as Taylor is just a very good prop who would complement Thompson and Walmsley well. Also heard too many things about Watts being a nightmare to manage off the pitch.

These threads can get a bit Fantasy Manager-y though and the reality is that whilst there are probably 4 or 5 props (Watts, Taylor, Fafita, Bousquet and maybe Mulhern but he seems to have gone off the boil) who could improve on Amor, I doubt we could get any of them on Amors contract. That’s the Brad Singleton, Tony Clubb, Lama Tasi bucket...

There are players like Currie (though again not on current form, seems to be going through similar to Watkins) or McMeekan who would improve our backrow, but they don’t offer masses on what we already have, other than a massive contract.

As for Connor, I wouldn’t have him at Fullback over Coote, at centre over Naiqama or Percival, and not at 6 over Lomax. Imo he’s going the way of Ratchford as a jack of all master of none. Some classy touches at times to remind us all he has the capability, but too easy to force into drifting through a game.

I really hope we do sign someone for next year (preferably a replacement for Amor) - because I think it’s important we keep improving, but it’s hard to see where it comes from.
    Yrs, McMeeken I do like and I'd have him over Peyroux.....just!!!

Got A Replica Shirt

Also, and this is not an invitation to jump all over them, Wigan and Leeds looked atrocious last night. Funny as it is, I don't feel it's good for the game. Even under agent Millward they had a few you would say "I wish we had that player but now?.... not a single player from either team would get in our starting line-up... even Williams who is, according to that utter weapon Clarke, as good as Blake Austin would be on the bench at best. What in Christ's name has happened there? I appreciate a laugh but a weak Wigan ain't good apart from short term "shiggles" Leeds are no better.... I actually felt a bit depressed watching that game on Friday...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Fifita and Watts for me but only to replace Amor and LMS in the 17.

Learning All The Songs

Jake Connor has a great skill set but is a luxury as he is too slow, would sooner Johnny. Either Tupou or Gildart for Kev. Either Fifita, Taylor or Watts for Amor.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    Connor’s maverick nature makes him a liability one minute and a genius the next. If he played for Saints he would spend more time in the bin than he does now! Don’t like him at all.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by snellinmo View Post
    Agree with these Ralph bar one!
    I'LL second that. There is one player we miss more than any other as regards go forward. And another Walmsley mk2 would make us truly unbeatable

Learning All The Songs

In my opinion the game last week highlights why I would have to disagree. We have Lomax and Coote pulling the strings and bringing our runners into the game. Our well coached back row is bang average but not exceptional. In the pack we have Roby, Walmsley and Thompson who I would not swap. I have to include Makinson. If you are playing with these top class players they make the others look good.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    In my opinion the game last week highlights why I would have to disagree. We have Lomax and Coote pulling the strings and bringing our runners into the game. Our well coached back row is bang average but not exceptional. In the pack we have Roby, Walmsley and Thompson who I would not swap. I have to include Makinson. If you are playing with these top class players they make the others look good.
    As the games today show, those teams at the bottom are getting desperate, and I’m not too sure we can take quality of opposition for them for the rest of the season.

You say bang average back row, but who is actually better out there at the moment? (And I’m assuming your not including Knowles who is imo the best 13 in the country and the most underrated player in the league at the moment). There’s mcmeekan sure, and in combination with Moors probably pips Taia and Peyroux, but Curries woefully out of form and Jack Hughes is ... Jack Hughes. You can argue about Greenwood but all things considered I’m glad he didn’t come back so far, and Farrell is a competitor, but if he were transfer listed would you be tripping over yourself to get him signed up? Minichello and Manu at Hull have played it 2 years too long, the less said about Leeds Backrow the better, and Jones at Salford gets a lot of plaudits, but is a statsman rather than a game breaker. Edwards and Garcia are maybe on a par with what we have if we’re being generous, but certainly nothing to be envious over - and not above either Moors or McMeekan imo. That leaves Ashurst at Wakefield to consider and he’s a player that’s again struggling with injury and looks good when a teams on form, and awful when not. The fact I had to google the Wakefield squad to remember Kirmond says how far he’s fallen.

Coote, Makinson, Percival, Lomax, Thompson, Roby, Walmsley, Knowles are all best in class this year imo, that leaves Naiqama up against Gildart, Connor, Goodwin (maybe?), Grace up against Charnley, Lineham, Burgess, Fages up against ... Sneyd? (Genuinely struggling for candidates here...), and the second row as above.

Then there’s the bench which is a bit more of a free for all.

Got A Season Ticket

Interesting post this.

I'd have watts and Connor best that's out there for me. ( edit not in our team)
    Last edited by Saintfryer; 15th June 2019 at 21:18. Reason: Ooops

Learning All The Songs

There are plenty of props who get in ahead of Amor, Ashworth and Lees. As others have said, Connor gets in as well.

I think we have the best player(s) in the league in several positions - full back, wing, centre, stand off/scrum half, prop, hooker.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by J116 View Post
    I would rather have Peyroux over McMeeken! and I would never have believed I would have said that 2yrs ago, when I thought McMeeken was outstanding. I think he's gone off the boil massively since, has bags of potential but seem's to spend half the match strutting around the pitch. I would take Peyroux's effort and energy over him.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Defensive liability. I'd rather have Dom

Got A Season Ticket

Id take Connor all day.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post

Yeah fair shout about Taylor actually. He's a good prop

Got A Season Ticket

Also, and this is not an invitation to jump all over them, Wigan and Leeds looked atrocious last night. Funny as it is, I don't feel it's good for the game. Even under agent Millward they had a few you would say "I wish we had that player but now?.... not a single player from either team would get in our starting line-up... even Williams who is, according to that utter weapon Clarke, as good as Blake Austin would be on the bench at best. What in Christ's name has happened there? I appreciate a laugh but a weak Wigan ain't good apart from short term "shiggles" Leeds are no better.... I actually felt a bit depressed watching that game on Friday...
    Makes me wonder how much of it is down to coaching... would Williams be so far behind Fages if he had been coached by Holbrook for a few years? Probably not. Gildart also looks great in a winning team.

As for Leeds, Dwyer is the only one I would look at, but if Aaron Smith continues to develop then that’s a no as well. I actually used to like watching them play when they were adventurous and free flowing, even as rivals. The current 80 minutes of risk free, one-up followed by Myler kicking into touch must be absolutely painful for their fans given what they have been used to.