Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For the first time.....

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J116 View Post
    Also, and this is not an invitation to jump all over them, Wigan and Leeds looked atrocious last night. Funny as it is, I don't feel it's good for the game. Even under agent Millward they had a few you would say "I wish we had that player but now?.... not a single player from either team would get in our starting line-up... even Williams who is, according to that utter weapon Clarke, as good as Blake Austin would be on the bench at best. What in Christ's name has happened there? I appreciate a laugh but a weak Wigan ain't good apart from short term "shiggles" Leeds are no better.... I actually felt a bit depressed watching that game on Friday...
    I can see what you mean, and this is compounded by the fact that Hull FC & Catalans sit 3rd & 4th in the table respectively, yet both have had 40+ points put on them, more than once this season. I'm afraid the quality of the competition just continues to diminish.

That said, I think there's still some talent in the league & Williams at his best, is a better half than Fages and Lomax in my opinion. I'd say the same for Blake Austin and Albert Kelly, who is another one I'm a big fan of. They all just have that extra speed, which allows them to create something out of nothing. Saints halves are really benefiting from a dominant pack at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by JonNgog View Post

As for Leeds, Dwyer is the only one I would look at, but if Aaron Smith continues to develop then that’s a no as well. I actually used to like watching them play when they were adventurous and free flowing, even as rivals. The current 80 minutes of risk free, one-up followed by Myler kicking into touch must be absolutely painful for their fans given what they have been used to.
    On Leeds, they're going through that period which Saints went through 10+ years ago- they've lost that golden generation. I think Harry Newman looks a good prospect though. Strong and fast.

Regards,

STEVO

Learning All The Songs

Only three teams in the league with a positive points difference, Us, Wire and Salford who sit eighth at the moment.
    On Newman he looks a prospect but fast? Gildart left him for dead off the mark and the only one I can think of who has done Gildart for pace was Regan and that was in the U19`s some years back.

Starting A Programme Collection

No way can Williams be better than Lomax. Johnny runs with both hands on the ball mesmerising the opposition and putting his support players away. Williams' strength is his kicking game. Apart from SO Johnny is also in the England set up as full back, Bennet rates him so highly. Theo is now our 1st choice scrum half and plays an excellent foil to Johnny. So, no, I wouldn't have Williams in the present team.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by superarch View Post
    No way can Williams be better than Lomax. Johnny runs with both hands on the ball mesmerising the opposition and putting his support players away. Williams' strength is his kicking game. Apart from SO Johnny is also in the England set up as full back, Bennet rates him so highly. Theo is now our 1st choice scrum half and plays an excellent foil to Johnny. So, no, I wouldn't have Williams in the present team.
    I have to agree and admit that I just don't get it with Williams, admittedly he is playing behind a poor pack but I just don't see it. I think part of the problem is that he is one of a few players tagged with the "wonderkid" label that the commentators on SKY seem obsessed with.... Jack Walker has been tagged the same, now Harry Newman. This obsession with finding the new Sam Tompkins..... much as it pains me to say, Tompkins was a once in a generation talent who was freakishly good. Williams and the others mentioned simply aren't.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    I can see what you mean, and this is compounded by the fact that Hull FC & Catalans sit 3rd & 4th in the table respectively, yet both have had 40+ points put on them, more than once this season. I'm afraid the quality of the competition just continues to diminish.

That said, I think there's still some talent in the league & Williams at his best, is a better half than Fages and Lomax in my opinion. I'd say the same for Blake Austin and Albert Kelly, who is another one I'm a big fan of. They all just have that extra speed, which allows them to create something out of nothing. Saints halves are really benefiting from a dominant pack at the moment.

On Leeds, they're going through that period which Saints went through 10+ years ago- they've lost that golden generation. I think Harry Newman looks a good prospect though. Strong and fast.

Regards,

STEVO
    Williams has had about 2 years of no being at his best, he is very average nowadays. I don't see how Bennet cannot give Lomax the 6 shirt, he is miles ahead of every other British 6.

Austin is playing well at Warrington and Kelly when he turns up can be a real game changer.

Learning All The Songs

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Hill at Warrington. Maybe looked upon as a bit of a tit from people outside of Warrington but there is no doubting his talent & he has been the cornerstone of the Wire pack for a while now as well as a seasoned international.

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by tilly2006 View Post
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned Hill at Warrington. Maybe looked upon as a bit of a tit from people outside of Warrington but there is no doubting his talent & he has been the cornerstone of the Wire pack for a while now as well as a seasoned international.

Agreed, there are probably plenty of others, Clark and Dwyer etc. Millington would be great at saints, although past his bets etc etc. Good to see the best players spread out rather than at one or two clubs like pre super league and the salary cap