Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jersey

Noooobie

Default Jersey

Can anyone say for sure why we changed from the broad Red band to the Red Vee? I have my own thougjts but would like to hear others.

In The South Stand

I don't know but I'm really annoyed about it. I've said for years we need to bin off the red vee for a while and a classic white shirt with a red band would be the perfect place to go initially. The obsession with the vee is weird frankly, given it's not been part of our heritage throughout. Why we've never gone back to the band in the Super League era is beyond me. I'm all for a Meninga era throwback kit for a year or three.

Then, after the PR the controversy about removing the vee would create, they can bring it back in a fanfare with a properly designed shirt and make billions.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by jack joyce View Post
    Can anyone say for sure why we changed from the broad Red band to the Red Vee? I have my own thougjts but would like to hear others.
    It's probably the fault of scientists, as most things are. Some boffin with nothing better to do probably spent a year working out that the chest of a man with a vee on his shirt looks visibly larger than one without.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's probably the fault of scientists, as most things are. Some boffin with nothing better to do probably spent a year working out that the chest of a man with a vee on his shirt looks visibly larger than one without.
    Can I get a pair of pants with a Red Vee on the front?

I don't know but I'm really annoyed about it. I've said for years we need to bin off the red vee for a while and a classic white shirt with a red band would be the perfect place to go initially. The obsession with the vee is weird frankly, given it's not been part of our heritage throughout. Why we've never gone back to the band in the Super League era is beyond me. I'm all for a Meninga era throwback kit for a year or three.

Then, after the PR the controversy about removing the vee would create, they can bring it back in a fanfare with a properly designed shirt and make billions.
    To be fair you’d moan about anything.

If you won the lottery you’d complain.

Science claims pessimists live a lot longer than optimists though, I imagine you and The Rev are at least 90 yrs old.......

:-)
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

I’m led to believe that it was for the 1961 Challenge Cup Final against Wigan. A company, Adidas I think though could be wrong, created two jerseys, white with a red V and red with a white V. We got the white one, won and decided to keep it.

I always thought we'd nicked it from St George Dragons in Australia to try and emulate their incredible success in the 50s and 60s.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

Got A Season Ticket

Was that boffin you?

Got A Season Ticket

I always loved the Red Band what I was brought up on in the Boy's Pen at Knowsley Road, I just felt at the time the V was nothing more that following the NRL as shirts over there were so popular & difficult to purchase here.

But what annoys me more is the silly badge with the Saint figure of a outdated TV programme, what was wrong with the St Helens Borough emblem, and Ex Terra Lucem, which was restored and used again in 2013! the figure used is as bad as the amount of advertising these days on the back of shorts! it is a Joke!

We played in the red vee in the 1961 and 1966 cup finals, but the usual kit was still red band. We adopted the red vee as the main kit in the 1966/67 season.
    Last edited by volls_dad; 12th June 2019 at 09:32. Reason: correction

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    But what annoys me more is the silly badge with the Saint figure of a outdated TV programme, what was wrong with the St Helens Borough emblem, and Ex Terra Lucem, which was restored and used again in 2013! the figure used is as bad as the amount of advertising these days on the back of shorts! it is a Joke!
    The town crest is a bitch to draw, and the stickman easy.

It's called branding.

And the advertising brings in the revenue that helps pay for us to have the best team in SL.

Noooobie

My take on it is Bob Collins the bookmaker( was he on the board?) used to finance the players by giving extra fivers/tenners on top of winning money for vital games. His racing colours were Red Vee on white shirt, could have it come from there?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    The town crest is a bitch to draw, and the stickman easy.

It's called branding.

And the advertising brings in the revenue that helps pay for us to have the best team in SL.
    It will be a sad day if not being able to draw something stop it being used! we wore it with pride for many years! if a stickman is good branding my training in marketing must have been wrong lol

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    It will be a sad day if not being able to draw something stop it being used! we wore it with pride for many years! if a stickman is good branding my training in marketing must have been wrong lol
    I'm all for having the town crest on the jersey, but I can understand why they would have the stickman for merchandising: much easier to produce, more recognisable and I would assume a Trademark?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I'm all for having the town crest on the jersey, but I can understand why they would have the stickman for merchandising: much easier to produce, more recognisable and I would assume a Trademark?
    Could we compromise and have both the town crest & club badge?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Could we compromise and have both the town crest & club badge?
    As much as liked the town crest on the jersey, I don't think it would go with the current jersey. It was much more suited to the red Band.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbeams View Post
    Can I get a pair of pants with a Red Vee on the front?
    What a brilliant first post that is. You registered a year ago and it was this that lured you into posting? Good on you.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

Science claims pessimists live a lot longer than optimists though, I imagine you and The Rev are at least 90 yrs old.......

I dunno, I think I've changed a lot over the 90 years. I think I've mellowed from the days I used to threaten to assassinate Paul Wellens and predict we'd never win a game again during the glory-years.

And as for my actual age, I'm actually not that old. People have played in Super League who were older than me.

Noooobie

What a brilliant first post that is. You registered a year ago and it was this that lured you into posting? Good on you.
    Not had anything else worth saying to be honest....

Hull KR have a white jersey with a red band currently, they even had a similar one to ours in the 60s:
    https://i2-prod.hulldailymail.co.uk/...0_Maloney2.jpg

In The South Stand

Jack Reacher is right and Hull KR did play in white with a red band as Saints did.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

You’ve been mugged off there Saddened being compared to me. That post went too far IMHO.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

As mentioned in a couple of posts above, the first time was the 1961 cup final against Wigan.

Both teams wanted to wear their normal Red & White colours. I don't know who came up with th e idea but Saints were the Red V on a White shirt and Wigan the other day round.

With hindsight it would have been a brilliant marketing idea, it was the largest Wembley attendance at the time, but fans couldn't buy replica shirts in those days.

In that era there was no such thing as an "Away" or a " Home" kit. If there was a clash of colours the home team wore their "change" strip, Saints was a pretty drab plain blue shirt.
    Visiting team would often have a white and or red in their shirts so for most home games Saints seemed to wear the plain blue.

For some reason at the beginning of the 61/62 season we had a brief spell of wearing black with a White V as our main colours. It wasn't very popular and we had a bad start to the season which was obviously the shirt's fault so it was scrapped.
    I was only 11 years old at the time so you'll have to forgive me if any of that is inaccurate ;-)

Again, as already mentioned, when Saints and Wigan clashed at Wembley again in 1966 we were the Red V again and it's stayed since then.

Just a side note, when the great Dick Huddart was leaving Saints to go to Australia in about 1964, through a friend of a friend my dad managed to get me one of his old shirts which at the time was the Red Band one.
    At the time it was a treasured possession together with lots of programmes and scrap books from the early 60's.
    But time moved on, I grew up and went to work down south and mum and dad moved house so as part of a clear out all my old Saints stuff including the shirt was given away to a "sale of work" never to be seen again (memorabilia wasn't a big thing at the time) :-/ :-)

Upside
    Non Members

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    As mentioned in a couple of posts above, the first time was the 1961 cup final against Wigan.

Both teams wanted to wear their normal Red & White colours. I don't know who came up with th e idea but Saints were the Red V on a White shirt and Wigan the other day round.

With hindsight it would have been a brilliant marketing idea, it was the largest Wembley attendance at the time, but fans couldn't buy replica shirts in those days.

In that era there was no such thing as an "Away" or a " Home" kit. If there was a clash of colours the home team wore their "change" strip, Saints was a pretty drab plain blue shirt.
    Visiting team would often have a white and or red in their shirts so for most home games Saints seemed to wear the plain blue.

For some reason at the beginning of the 61/62 season we had a brief spell of wearing black with a White V as our main colours. It wasn't very popular and we had a bad start to the season which was obviously the shirt's fault so it was scrapped.
    I was only 11 years old at the time so you'll have to forgive me if any of that is inaccurate ;-)

Again, as already mentioned, when Saints and Wigan clashed at Wembley again in 1966 we were the Red V again and it's stayed since then.

Just a side note, when the great Dick Huddart was leaving Saints to go to Australia in about 1964, through a friend of a friend my dad managed to get me one of his old shirts which at the time was the Red Band one.
    At the time it was a treasured possession together with lots of programmes and scrap books from the early 60's.
    But time moved on, I grew up and went to work down south and mum and dad moved house so as part of a clear out all my old Saints stuff including the shirt was given away to a "sale of work" never to be seen again (memorabilia wasn't a big thing at the time) :-/ :-)

Brilliant post

Got A Replica Shirt

Yes. I seem to recall that the red band on Saints' jersey was marginally broader, or marginally narrower, than the Hull KR band. My brother had one of these shirts, and his pals around our home in Charles Street used to rile him by saying he was wearing a Hull KR jersey. To all intents and purposes they looked almost identical.