Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Luke Douglas back at Langtree Park ?

In The South Stand

On the subject of Luke Douglas, there was a question posed by the official Leigh Twitter account as to whether Luke is their best Australian player ever? If he's playing that well that he's in the running to be their best ever Australian after half a season with them on loan from us, it begs the question as to why he's never returned to play for us this year.

Noooobie

He's been totally reliable and 100% consistent, every game. I can only assume that Saints prefer the more 'dynamic' type of prop? The guy is thoroughly enjoying himself though - especially when he scored two tries on Sunday!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    On the subject of Luke Douglas, there was a question posed by the official Leigh Twitter account as to whether Luke is their best Australian player ever? If he's playing that well that he's in the running to be their best ever Australian after half a season with them on loan from us, it begs the question as to why he's never returned to play for us this year.
    Other people have said his salary would put us over the cap. If that is correct, then you would have to assume that he earns more than Amor. It just seems we haven't got the right balance of salaries throughout the team, if you have to loan out a better performer and retain poorer ones.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I would swap him for Lees. Richardson got a lot of flak for his tackling last season, Lees is even worse i think he needs a spell at Leigh.
    Lees has the dubious honour of topping the stats for the whole of SL for missed tackles with 80. Something that he clearly needs to work on and I'm sure hasn't escaped Justin's notice.

How Amor gets in over Douglas is utterly baffling to me, as he stands out to me as just not a Saints standard player and has for a few seasons imo.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Lees has the dubious honour of topping the stats for the whole of SL for missed tackles with 80. Something that he clearly needs to work on and I'm sure hasn't escaped Justin's notice.

How Amor gets in over Douglas is utterly baffling to me, as he stands out to me as just not a Saints standard player and has for a few seasons imo.
    Regarding Lees he tend to rush in and when it comes off well and good but he really needs to judge better when the big hits 'on'. Douglas for a prop is an excellent cover defender because his quick lateral movement quickly shut off the gap. I can only think it is a salary cap issue.

Starting A Programme Collection Dr Channard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    Regarding Lees he tend to rush in and when it comes off well and good but he really needs to judge better when the big hits 'on'. Douglas for a prop is an excellent cover defender because his quick lateral movement quickly shut off the gap. I can only think it is a salary cap issue.
    Good point Rob. I reckon you may be right about money being a factor too. It's the only thing that would make sense to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Good point Rob. I reckon you may be right about money being a factor too. It's the only thing that would make sense to me.
    Hasn't it already been acknowledged by the club that it was for salary cap reasons?

I just wish we could have offloaded Amor instead; he offers little more than just another body on the pitch, which is so frustrating when you think of his form in 2 or 3 seasons (wasn't he player of the season once?).

Douglas was in the video Saints posted meeting and entertaining the LDRL team. Good to see him still involved and not out in the cold.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Just watched the game between York and Batley on the Our League app. Very good game. Neither side looked like they was holding back with it being a mid week game.

The live stream on the app has got a lot better. Just needs a few tweaks , some polishing and it will be grand.

Sent from my FDR-A01L using Tapatalk

In The South Stand

Douglas is one of those players who gets better without actually playing for us. Let’s be honest, he was bang average for the most part during his spell in the first team in the past couple of years, and did pretty much nothing of note in his 59 games, despite being on the overseas quota and presumably earning a decent wage.

He can’t be blamed for Cunningham signing him but he isn’t good enough and a few good games in the part time leagues does not mean he should be back anywhere near the top of SL.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

I know I'm biased (now) but Luke Douglas would get in most SL squads, maybe not as a starter, but he has some engine on him. Saints don't need him which I fully understand. He had another very good game in our lucky win over Barrow tonight. Also Josh Simms was excellent, made 3 long breaks, and by far our most dangerous 'back' on the field.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hemmings' Wig View Post
    Douglas is one of those players who gets better without actually playing for us. Let’s be honest, he was bang average for the most part during his spell in the first team in the past couple of years, and did pretty much nothing of note in his 59 games, despite being on the overseas quota and presumably earning a decent wage.

He can’t be blamed for Cunningham signing him but he isn’t good enough and a few good games in the part time leagues does not mean he should be back anywhere near the top of SL.
    I agree, he did not particularly shine when he was playing regularly for us, but look at his stats in Australia, most consecutive appearances in the the the league, in the voting for best ever player not to play in the State of Origin. Possibly he was burnt out when he came here, similar to Perry, but you never know, playing under Holbrook regularly might have resurrected his form, but we will never know, I do know one thing though I would put him in the team before Amor

Banned

Douglas was never going to be a barnstorming prop, skittling defenders hither & thither, and catching the eye in games. He's always been a no-nonsense grafter of a prop that does all the basics of propping very well and very consistently. And that's what he has been for us, especially since Cunningham left. He does the hard yards, gets quick PTB's, works overtime in defence, misses very few tackles, and organises the middle.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Budgiezilla View Post
    I know I'm biased (now) but Luke Douglas would get in most SL squads, maybe not as a starter, but he has some engine on him. Saints don't need him which I fully understand. He had another very good game in our lucky win over Barrow tonight. Also Josh Simms was excellent, made 3 long breaks, and by far our most dangerous 'back' on the field.
    Thats great to know, as we know in our group of mates who try to watch the Academy games before the 1st team games, he is probably the biggest threat with the ball of anyone of his age in the country. Playing with Leigh should help accelerate his progression quicker too.

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Douglas was never going to be a barnstorming prop, skittling defenders hither & thither, and catching the eye in games. He's always been a no-nonsense grafter of a prop that does all the basics of propping very well and very consistently. And that's what he has been for us, especially since Cunningham left. He does the hard yards, gets quick PTB's, works overtime in defence, misses very few tackles, and organises the middle.
    That is my view of Douglas and as you say got better under Holbrook.