Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oops

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Surveyor View Post
    As history shows, under the top 5 system there's a clear advantage to finishing top of the pile and it is extremely difficult to win SL from outside the top 2, so the days when you could 'target matches' are gone. This season is very different from last as we need to keep winning to give ourselves the best shot of reaching Old Trafford.
    We're 10 points clear of 3rd place, the chances of finishing outside the top 2 are pretty slim to almost impossible now I'd say.

We can afford to take risks with our team selection in the league because there isn't a lot riding on it. I'm not saying we throw league points here, what i'm saying is we have a strong squad and we should use it. We need our key players to be fit for the CC Semi, CC final and the Play Offs. They weren't last season and it cost us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    We're 10 points clear of 3rd place, the chances of finishing outside the top 2 are pretty slim to almost impossible now I'd say.

We can afford to take risks with our team selection in the league because there isn't a lot riding on it. I'm not saying we throw league points here, what i'm saying is we have a strong squad and we should use it. We need our key players to be fit for the CC Semi, CC final and the Play Offs. They weren't last season and it cost us.
    I agree with this. Also I expect all the players, especially the younger ones will have learned a lot from this loss. We have the luxury of letting them get valuable experience in SL matches which will benefit their development

We need to target certain matches now. I think we play Warrington twice and we need to win those. Beat Wigan obviously and Leeds and two challenge cup games. Rotating players with this squad in other matches should still be enough to ensure a top two finish

Learning All The Songs

It seems Richardson has come in for a lot of stick for him missing tackles. But i believe Lees missed ten tackles yesterday, tackling isn’t his strongest point but to miss some many is shocking.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I agree with this. Also I expect all the players, especially the younger ones will have learned a lot from this loss. We have the luxury of letting them get valuable experience in SL matches which will benefit their development

We need to target certain matches now. I think we play Warrington twice and we need to win those. Beat Wigan obviously and Leeds and two challenge cup games. Rotating players with this squad in other matches should still be enough to ensure a top two finish
    I’ve no problem with a bit of squad rotation but we should still be pushing hard to finish top, secure a weekend off and be just 1 x home win away from Old Trafford. Finish 2nd we’re probably looking at Hull or Cats at home followed by Wire away and potentially a 3rd match to reach Old Trafford.

Got A Season Ticket

I’ve no problem with a bit of squad rotation but we should still be pushing hard to finish top, secure a weekend off and be just 1 x home win away from Old Trafford. Finish 2nd we’re probably looking at Hull or Cats at home followed by Wire away and potentially a 3rd match to reach Old Trafford.
    I think if what you suggested came to pass we would be looking at Wolf away and if we lose that followed by Hull or Cats at home for a place in the GF I think - but I don’t have a maths degree to work it out

Got A Season Ticket

As other posters have said - you can learn plenty ( and so can our coach )from defeat - just keep it in context and no need to overreact

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Saint View Post
    I think if what you suggested came to pass we would be looking at Wolf away and if we lose that followed by Hull or Cats at home for a place in the GF I think - but I don’t have a maths degree to work it out
    Correct, but we’d have to first beat Hull or Cats at home (whilst Wire have a weekend off) for the right to play Wire away. As I say, better to finish top !

Starting A Programme Collection

Correct, but we’d have to first beat Hull or Cats at home (whilst Wire have a weekend off) for the right to play Wire away. As I say, better to finish top !
    Completely agree, that's the way I read it 're the play offs, start resting players when the leaders trophy is all but sewn up, remember last year's fall off in form was mainly due to Barba having his head elsewhere, and the mistake off not having Fages in the squad against Warrington in the semi final

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

But I think we are pushing hard for top spot.

The squad selection does not effect the application of the players on show. If not having Coote at FB, Walmsley at Prop and Lomax at halfback makes Saints a worse team than 12th in the table, then we have no hope of winning this competition.
    Because you can probably get decent money on some of those being missing for a final or semi-final.

That team on Sunday should have been good enough to put in a performance to compete with the top sides in SL. The fact they underperformed was not down to selection it was down to the preparation and application of the players and staff involved and the similarly to same for the London players.

It was not a Milward side that we put out.

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post

The squad selection does not effect the application of the players on show. If not having Coote at FB, Walmsley at Prop and Lomax at halfback makes Saints a worse team than 12th in the table, then we have no hope of winning this competition.
    Because you can probably get decent money on some of those being missing for a final or semi-final.

That team on Sunday should have been good enough to put in a performance to compete with the top sides in SL. The fact they underperformed was not down to selection it was down to the preparation and application of the players and staff involved and the similarly to same for the London players.

I think this is a very good post.

Too many mistakes. Not enough focus.

It's an annoying defeat but a good performance on Friday, will put this one to bed

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Other clubs in SL would bite your hand off for the team we selected.

Got A Season Ticket

I agree 100%. My posts were in response to quotes such as "the way the league works with the play off system means finishing first doesn’t actually really matter", when clearly this season it most definitely does matter. Anyway onto the next match and back to winning ways!