Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Long out/Marshall In

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Think he lives in Warrington
    I thought his accent didn't sound from too far away.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Think he lives in Warrington
    Started his career at Saints!!

He was a guest on Radio Merseyside's rugby league show this evening. Came across ok. He played junior rugby at Woolston before joining the Saints Academy in the mid-90s. Saints offered him a contract, but Halifax, then coached by Mal Reilly, snapped him up.

Banned

Didn’t realise he used to be Tony Smiths assistant. Seems like he’s got a good reputation within the game.

He’s come across well on the interviews I’ve seen, hopefully he will fit in well and complement the coaches that are already in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Yeah I think he’s publicly said before that he doesn’t have any interest in being a head coach.
    No wonder with some of his past hairstyles.

Learning All The Songs

Guessing we are priming Marshall as Holbrook's long-term successor; he is very highly rated within the game, and is known for blooding young players.

I have been a fan of Richard for a while. It is a great move from the club getting him in. There are a lot of head coaches in Super League worse than him.

He comes across as well spoken and his record at Fax is very good for what he had to work with.

With Wello, who has been touted as a future head coach by Wayne Bennett, we have an impressive young coaching team at Saints.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon Sexton View Post
    Guessing we are priming Marshall as Holbrook's long-term successor; he is very highly rated within the game, and is known for blooding young players.
    I didn't really know anything about him before we signed him, but the more I read about him, the more my thinking was along the lines of, his he Holbrooks successor? If so hope Holbrook still has another contract in him.

Got A Season Ticket

Talk earlier in the week it was being said Paul Wellens was moving up to assistant coach, now its Marshall? if Paul wants to be a coach perhaps Saint should help him now and not make the same mistake as was made with Cunningham!

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

Say if long was told they don't want to put a club legend into the head coach role again and there's no opportunity for promotion why would it be different for wellens?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    Say if long was told they don't want to put a club legend into the head coach role again and there's no opportunity for promotion why would it be different for wellens?
    I should imagine Wellens is a completely personalty to the dogma approach of Cunningham. I think it was Daniel Anderson who said Long and Wellens look to have the potential of being a coach and Bennett had said something similar about Wellens. Marshall already being a head coach albeit with a championship club must be seen as having a similar potential otherwise we wouldn't have signed him.

Holbrook is still not an experienced coach but he seems to benefit from the input of his assistant coaches around him, maybe we don't want to break that winning formula for its culture, ethics and game approach. If so does that mean Holbrook stays.

When you write "say if" I assume that this is hypothetical ??

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    When you write "say if" I assume that this is hypothetical ??
    Yeah purely hypothetical, from bits of information about him leaving and filling in the gaps really. Not certain that's what happened but if it was, why would wellens differ? I wouldn't be surprised if we never see the KC situation repeated again.

Look at sinfield now at Leeds fans starting to turn, he isn't even the coach but he's in the spotlight enough to ruin a club legend and it makes it hard to cut ties.

Yeah purely hypothetical, from bits of information about him leaving and filling in the gaps really. Not certain that's what happened but if it was, why would wellens differ? I wouldn't be surprised if we never see the KC situation repeated again.

Look at sinfield now at Leeds fans starting to turn, he isn't even the coach but he's in the spotlight enough to ruin a club legend and it makes it hard to cut ties.
    Interesting the bits you pick up being local.
    After KC I can understand to a certain extent why they would not put someone unproven into the role, but if Wellens for example, went to a Championship club and was successful, do you think the same logic would apply?

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    After KC I can understand to a certain extent why they would not put someone unproven into the role, but if Wellens for example, went to a Championship club and was successful, do you think the same logic would apply?
    Personally I think they should stay out the spotlight. They can still have a good effect on the team without being the head figure. I suppose we'll just have to see how things pan out.

O/T but heard another SL coach possibly swapping codes. Such a shame to loose these guys if true, we really need to get a grip of things

Personally I think they should stay out the spotlight. They can still have a good effect on the team without being the head figure. I suppose we'll just have to see how things pan out.

O/T but heard another SL coach possibly swapping codes. Such a shame to loose these guys if true, we really need to get a grip of things
    I can only think of Powell or Chester that may be offered something by the other side. It is a pity if we lose good coaches to strengthen the other side, but I think we are paying for poor past management and vision at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Talk earlier in the week it was being said Paul Wellens was moving up to assistant coach, now its Marshall? if Paul wants to be a coach perhaps Saint should help him now and not make the same mistake as was made with Cunningham!
    Wellens is already an assistant coach.

Got A Replica Shirt

Gleeson is apparently moving to a RU club, is that what you’ve heard or are you talking about a head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingy View Post
    Gleeson is apparently moving to a RU club, is that what you’ve heard or are you talking about a head coach.
    Yeah that's the one

Looking like Marshall is a strong contender for the Salford job.

That either leaves us looking for a new assistant or just running with Wellens if we are saving money.

Lots of clubs will probably only run with one assistant next year. The savings each club need to make will mean major cutbacks.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

That either leaves us looking for a new assistant or just running with Wellens if we are saving money.

Lots of clubs will probably only run with one assistant next year. The savings each club need to make will mean major cutbacks.

I imagine Woolf would like the chance to shape his own team around him so can see us in the market.

Was Costello to Salford ever formally announced?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post

Possibly make sense all round. Marshall has done nothing wrong at Saints so far as I can see and he would go to Salford without much expectation.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

I think there will be some expectation. He'd be taking over a team that has reached the Grand Final and Challenge Cup Final in the last 2 seasons.

Admittedly, it's unrealistic to think he could help them kick on further and win something in the next couple of seasons, but he will be expected to keep them in the to give our six clubs and not slide back into mediocrity.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Just need Longy to give Leeds the heave-ho and come back as assistant, then its a choice of Longy or Wello for the 2022 job. But if Woolf gets us to a back to back back to back he will get an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Just need Longy to give Leeds the heave-ho and come back as assistant, then its a choice of Longy or Wello for the 2022 job. But if Woolf gets us to a back to back back to back he will get an extension.
    Or the usual thing might happen - an NRL contract