Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Long out/Marshall In

Banned

He's going to spend the next month taking elocution lessons so he talk proper posh like his pal Andy Farrell.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

He will probably meet the lads at Wembley if we beat Fax.

Learning All The Songs

I wish him all the best. One of my all time favourite players.
    Now that it's been confirmed. What are peoples thoughts on Marshall?
    I know nothing about him, but do we need to bring him in.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    It's definitely not that.

He's moving house to the other side of the country. He's going down there to get ready for the start of their pre season.

From what I've been told, he's on double his salary, he's been told there is scope to work his way into the England setup if things go well. With us, realistically he can't go any further. We won't go down the same route that we did with KC so he can't go any further with us. The next step would be a head coach role with a rival. Who would be happy if that happened?

From what I've been told he's gutted that he won't get to see us lift any silverware this season (if we manage it). If someone offered you double your money it's a no brainer, he's made the decision for him and his family and you can't blame him for that imo
    Well said. Nothing but respect for the guy, legend.

Quote Originally Posted by djdegsy View Post
    I wish him all the best. One of my all time favourite players.
    Now that it's been confirmed. What are peoples thoughts on Marshall?
    I know nothing about him, but do we need to bring him in.
    Don’t know much about him other than he is highly rated and was one of the names featured in the speculation about who was to replace Furner at Leeds

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Pretty sad to see Longy leave.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Anyone know why Marshall left Fax?
    I don't know much about him, but If he comes to us do people expect him to replace Longy in terms of coaching the attack? He was a Prop/SR.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Anyone know why Marshall left Fax?
    I don't know much about him, but If he comes to us do people expect him to replace Longy in terms of coaching the attack? He was a Prop/SR.
    Couldn't link the article so I copied and pasted it

Richard Marshall set for Halifax exit

www.totalrl.com

[http://www]

Richard Marshall is set to leave Halifax, TotalRL understands.
    The long-serving Fax coach was informed on Friday his contract will not be renewed beyond the end of the season and as a result will leave the club in the coming days once a severance deal has been completed.
    He will not be in charge for the club’s game against Sheffield Eagles on Sunday, with the club’s playing group informed on Friday evening that player-coach Simon Grix will be placed in temporary charge.
    Marshall is off-contract at the end of the season and Fax officials informed him they did not intend to extend his contract once it expires at the end of the year. As a result, the two parties have agreed to part ways and will finalise a package next week.
    A former Fax player, Marshall joined the club as coach ahead of the 2015 season and guided them to three top-four finishes in his four full seasons with the club, establishing himself as one of the best young coaches in the British game, which resulted in him being linked with several Super League roles.
    The part-timers have found the going tough during the early stages of this season and currently find themselves eighth in the Championship, four points adrift of the play-offs.
    Marshall will widely be remembered at Fax for his influence in the development of their reserve grade side, along with their unlikely success in the Championship. The club’s reserve grade has produced a number of homegrown players for the club who regularly play for the club’s first-grade side now. The likes of Brandon Moore, Chester Butler and Elliot Morris have been among the reserve grade’s success stories.
    Marshall was one of the longest-serving coaches in the British game, currently in his fifth year at the West Yorkshire club.

Betfred Championship,•News

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Couldn't link the article so I copied and pasted it

www.totalrl.com

[http://www]

Richard Marshall is set to leave Halifax, TotalRL understands.
    The long-serving Fax coach was informed on Friday his contract will not be renewed beyond the end of the season and as a result will leave the club in the coming days once a severance deal has been completed.
    He will not be in charge for the club’s game against Sheffield Eagles on Sunday, with the club’s playing group informed on Friday evening that player-coach Simon Grix will be placed in temporary charge.
    Marshall is off-contract at the end of the season and Fax officials informed him they did not intend to extend his contract once it expires at the end of the year. As a result, the two parties have agreed to part ways and will finalise a package next week.
    A former Fax player, Marshall joined the club as coach ahead of the 2015 season and guided them to three top-four finishes in his four full seasons with the club, establishing himself as one of the best young coaches in the British game, which resulted in him being linked with several Super League roles.
    The part-timers have found the going tough during the early stages of this season and currently find themselves eighth in the Championship, four points adrift of the play-offs.
    Marshall will widely be remembered at Fax for his influence in the development of their reserve grade side, along with their unlikely success in the Championship. The club’s reserve grade has produced a number of homegrown players for the club who regularly play for the club’s first-grade side now. The likes of Brandon Moore, Chester Butler and Elliot Morris have been among the reserve grade’s success stories.
    Marshall was one of the longest-serving coaches in the British game, currently in his fifth year at the West Yorkshire club.

Betfred Championship,•News

I
    Thanks mate.

Got A Season Ticket

My father went to school and grew up with Murphy, he said he was a brilliant all round sportsman and a better football player than rugby player but only wanted to play rugby.

Banned

My understanding is Wellens will take Longs roll and Marshall Wellens roll

So long Sean, thanks for your effort, hope it goes well for you. Saints move on.

COYS

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

I wish him well we can't compete with the salaries RU offers. We need hopefully to secure JH for longer and bring on his successor without thrashing around trying to find someone. If it is to be wello I would like him to get some wider experience and perhaps be seconded to an aussie club for a short period so we don't fall in to the trap Cunningham did?
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Longy will go with all our best wishes.

Marshall to be announced as his replacement within a short space of time.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Lots of comments I agree with. I'm not going to comment on if he's the best or not but he's been a fantastic servant to our club and I wish him all the best for the future.

I think he's third on our all time points scoring list and that says enough

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    I wish him well we can't compete with the salaries RU offers. We need hopefully to secure JH for longer and bring on his successor without thrashing around trying to find someone. If it is to be wello I would like him to get some wider experience and perhaps be seconded to an aussie club for a short period so we don't fall in to the trap Cunningham did?
    For me, the two most important facets to be a successful head coach are man management and football insight. Having watched Wellens throughout his career, I’m confident that he possesses the latter. Listening to various interviews and comments made at several forums, I believe Wellens also understands the requirements to keep players, staff and fans happy and he refers in the recent BBC podcast to his learning from working with the likes of Justin Holbrook and Wayne Bennett. He has acknowledged that he is still short of the requisite experience to become a head coach but that recognition itself tells me that there is no reason why he cannot grow into the role and probably from working within Saints.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saintfryer View Post
    My father went to school and grew up with Murphy, he said he was a brilliant all round sportsman and a better football player than rugby player but only wanted to play rugby.
    Better at rugby than he was picking a horse or a dog, that's for sure.

In The South Stand Tez the Saint's Avatar

Came across this a few days ago, he was obviously in demand https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.g...ns-2953796.amp.

It’s a shame we’ve lost him, by all accounts he’s extremely detailed as a coach in terms of perfecting set plays which isn’t really a surprise. He certainly knows how to win big games and he was right at the forefront of them. He’s been a brilliant servant, he’s already in the club’s hall of fame and IMO he’s rightfully up there alongside the club’s best. Watched it back not too long ago but untouchable in the 2004 Challenge Cup Final, in terms of a masterclass on how to organise and manage a big game that wasn’t a bad example.

Wish him all the best in Rugby Union.
    Steve Prescott MBE (1973-2013)
    V

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    For me, the two most important facets to be a successful head coach are man management and football insight. Having watched Wellens throughout his career, I’m confident that he possesses the latter. Listening to various interviews and comments made at several forums, I believe Wellens also understands the requirements to keep players, staff and fans happy and he refers in the recent BBC podcast to his learning from working with the likes of Justin Holbrook and Wayne Bennett. He has acknowledged that he is still short of the requisite experience to become a head coach but that recognition itself tells me that there is no reason why he cannot grow into the role and probably from working within Saints.
    How do you get him to grow into that role though, unless he leaves and get's experience elsewhere. I'd like nothing better than to see Wellens as a successful Saints coach in the future, but don't really want to see him go to another club, unless it's with a plan to bring him back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tez the Saint View Post
    Came across this a few days ago, he was obviously in demand https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.g...ns-2953796.amp.

It’s a shame we’ve lost him, by all accounts he’s extremely detailed as a coach in terms of perfecting set plays which isn’t really a surprise. He certainly knows how to win big games and he was right at the forefront of them. He’s been a brilliant servant, he’s already in the club’s hall of fame and IMO he’s rightfully up there alongside the club’s best. Watched it back not too long ago but untouchable in the 2004 Challenge Cup Final, in terms of a masterclass on how to organise and manage a big game that wasn’t a bad example.

Wish him all the best in Rugby Union.
    His performance in that 2004 final was sensational.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    How do you get him to grow into that role though, unless he leaves and get's experience elsewhere. I'd like nothing better than to see Wellens as a successful Saints coach in the future, but don't really want to see him go to another club, unless it's with a plan to bring him back.
    He needs to leave and prove himself elsewhere before taking over the Head Coach at Saints - which is what Cunningham should have done. He needs to spend a few years at somewhere like Leigh or Halifax properly learning what it takes to be a Head Coach. I think we would all hate it if he became a success, and took over at Wigan and won everything in sight, but just appointing him as Head Coach in a couple of years without any track record is too much of a risk.

I am not sure how long Sean Long will last in RU - the culture shock may be too much for a lad like Longy to adjust to - so he may be back in RL fairly quickly.
    "If you're going to strive for a change then you have to keep going upwards,"
    Keiron Cunningham, 2016

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post

Many players - be they rugby or football - who excelled in their sport with extreme natural talent and flair, have struggled in management. The best managers have tended to be ones who were good players, but had to work really hard to achieve what they did. As such, they have a better understanding of how to coach & nurture players, as they had needed to be coached & nurtured themselves, rather than have the game come to them naturally. There's obviously exceptions, but in general, that's how it has been.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Webbo Again View Post
    Many players - be they rugby or football - who excelled in their sport with extreme natural talent and flair, have struggled in management. The best managers have tended to be ones who were good players, but had to work really hard to achieve what they did. As such, they have a better understanding of how to coach & nurture players, as they had needed to be coached & nurtured themselves, rather than have the game come to them naturally. There's obviously exceptions, but in general, that's how it has been.
    Agree 100%

It’s also just statistically unlikely that the same individual will be exceptional as both a player and as a coach.

I agree but I wouldn’t class Wellens as someone with extreme natural talent and flair and that is one reason why he did not cement a place as a starting half back. What he did have, however, was a strong work ethic allied with grit, determination and an ability to read the game well which allowed him to become an exceptional competitor and full back.