Thread: Long out/Marshall In

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Default Long out/Marshall In

Gareth Walker reporting that Sean Long is set to leave the TWS and move to Harlequins RU in a coaching role. Big loss for the Saints coaching wise, but Richard Marshall would be a great appointment as assistant - highly thought of at Fax, where he did a great job and brought talent through....already touted as a candidate for SL Head Coach jobs, he could well be groomed as Holbrook’s successor.

Mirror article below:

Sean Long is set to leave St Helens and join Harlequins RU - and former Halifax coach Richard Marshall is in line to replace him. Full story:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby...elens-16480020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@RedveeDotNet

Cue rumours of Holbrook not agreeing an extension of his contract with Marshall to take over next season?

Learning All The Songs

I think Marshall would be a great replacement for Long but not Holbrook. Being head coach of Halifax and Saints is completely different. Will Long be leaving immediately or at the end of the season?

Learning All The Songs The frenchman's Avatar

The long move has nothing to do with Holbrook that's for sure.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    The long move has nothing to do with Holbrook that's for sure.
    I was just thinking that if anything, Holbrook must have had input into any replacement. He has largely had to work with what we had with Long/ Lolehisi/ Wellens as his assistants, and more flexibility to build his own team must be a positive for him to stay.

Any way - Long has been on as much of a journey as the fans have I’ve the last couple of years - if he is going, I’m glad it’s with the club riding high in positivity - he deserves it.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Cue rumours of Holbrook not agreeing an extension of his contract with Marshall to take over next season?
    Maybe because Holbrook is extending, Long doesn't see any personal advancement at Saints. Anyway sorry to see him go and prefer him to go there rather than one of our rivals.
    Last edited by Belgian Saint; 8th June 2019 at 20:38.

Where would this leave Wellens in the pecking order?

Got A Season Ticket

Hope Saints fans get the chance to give him the send off he deserves

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Richard Marshall would be a great appointment, as an assistant coach. Did great at Halifax with very little money, so obviously his 'coaching tactics' are spot on. Not sure if he would get to be Saints first team coach. But when he left Fax, I said to my mate, "he won't be out of work long". Ex Leigh player as well.....so what could be better ?

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

Aw I'm gutted to lose Sean. My favourite player growing up watching saints. All the very best.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

Some hypocrites on here, wishing Longy good luck and the winning departure he deserves!! He has committed the same misdemeanors as Benny on separate victims yet a few posters who slated Barba for woman beating are wishing him well? Either two faced or selective amnesia.

Got A Season Ticket

Give him credit for turning his life around. Great player for saints and influential in the coaching team. Good luck to him, sorry to see him leave us.

Learning All The Songs

I would imagine if Longy goes they have enough internal candidates to step in.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by robert80 View Post
    I would imagine if Longy goes they have enough internal candidates to step in.

Paul Wellens will get the job. He is part of the GB/ England set up as well as his work at Saints. He is rated very highly by all concerned.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Benchar View Post
    Give him credit for turning his life around. Great player for saints and influential in the coaching team. Good luck to him, sorry to see him leave us.
    Very much so Benchar, I have never condoned his many flawed actions but neither did I slate him. I also took this same stance with BB.
    It just seems some posters who criticised Benny are not casting the same critical eye or high moral compass level at Longy.
    These same posters were very vociferous in their condemnation of Barba. That, to me, seems very strange and hypocritical.
    I wish him well as I did Benny.

Got A Season Ticket

Possibly the best rugby player saints have ever had, I wish him well and hope to se him return at some point.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Tallaght Tiger View Post
    Some hypocrites on here, wishing Longy good luck and the winning departure he deserves!! He has committed the same misdemeanors as Benny on separate victims yet a few posters who slated Barba for woman beating are wishing him well? Either two faced or selective amnesia.
    Quite correct! and I was critical at that time, but he seemed to turn his life around, but who at the end of his playing career were only willing to give him a one year contract, while Cunningham's seemed to roll on and a statue! perhaps it may be something similar again, as they say twice bitten! Whatever, wish him the best if he does goes to Quins!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Quite correct! and I was critical at that time, but he seemed to turn his life around, but who at the end of his playing career were only willing to give him a one year contract, while Cunningham's seemed to roll on and a statue! perhaps it may be something similar again, as they say twice bitten! Whatever, wish him the best if he does goes to Quins!
    I think the decision to offer Long a one year deal was right, bar the first game against Hull where nobody could actually see him play he did very little of note at Hull and if memory serves me right got hurt and barely played for them.

Long was past his best by the time he left and while the Eastmond affair is well documented you can't really blame the club for going with Eastmond.

As well as that Cunninghams role at the time as a interchangable hooker fit with the way the club were playing at the time and I think Cunnigham was pretty astute in calling time on his playing career.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That’s a shame. The timing isn’t exactly ideal ... hopefully it won’t cause too much disruption.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    That’s a shame. The timing isn’t exactly ideal ... hopefully it won’t cause too much disruption.
    It's odd. Hasn't their season just finished? I don't see what good he's going to do when all the players are on holiday for another month or two.

Makes me wonder if this is what it's made out to be. Could this be one of those weird triangular deals where he leaves for Union, spends a couple of months working as a consultant, then mysteriously gets offered the head coach role by Wigan out of the blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It's odd. Hasn't their season just finished? I don't see what good he's going to do when all the players are on holiday for another month or two.

Makes me wonder if this is what it's made out to be. Could this be one of those weird triangular deals where he leaves for Union, spends a couple of months working as a consultant, then mysteriously gets offered the head coach role by Wigan out of the blue?
    It's definitely not that.

He's moving house to the other side of the country. He's going down there to get ready for the start of their pre season.

From what I've been told, he's on double his salary, he's been told there is scope to work his way into the England setup if things go well. With us, realistically he can't go any further. We won't go down the same route that we did with KC so he can't go any further with us. The next step would be a head coach role with a rival. Who would be happy if that happened?

From what I've been told he's gutted that he won't get to see us lift any silverware this season (if we manage it). If someone offered you double your money it's a no brainer, he's made the decision for him and his family and you can't blame him for that imo

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The frenchman View Post
    It's definitely not that.

He's moving house to the other side of the country. He's going down there to get ready for the start of their pre season.

From what I've been told, he's on double his salary, he's been told there is scope to work his way into the England setup if things go well. With us, realistically he can't go any further. We won't go down the same route that we did with KC so he can't go any further with us. The next step would be a head coach role with a rival. Who would be happy if that happened?

From what I've been told he's gutted that he won't get to see us lift any silverware this season (if we manage it). If someone offered you double your money it's a no brainer, he's made the decision for him and his family and you can't blame him for that imo
    Well said. Nothing but respect for the guy, legend.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

He starts on the 8th July when they return for pre season.

Got A Season Ticket

Shocked to hear Sean has left today with immediate effect? and also that Harlequins were never mentioned when it was first talked about?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Shocked to hear Sean has left today with immediate effect? and also that Harlequins were never mentioned when it was first talked about?
    The press didn't say all the club's he was in talks with, he had a few offers I think it was 4 or 5 clubs

I was told last week that this week is his last game but things might have changed since.