Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Long out/Marshall In

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

As has already been alluded to, I think Watson will be our coach after Wolfe provided he did OK at Hudds.
    I think Wellens just needs to bide his time a bit more. Perhaps Long has done the right thing and has bags of experience at a few clubs and, you never know, he could come back to us for the big job eventually.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kakariki View Post
    As has already been alluded to, I think Watson will be our coach after Wolfe provided he did OK at Hudds.
    I think Wellens just needs to bide his time a bit more. Perhaps Long has done the right thing and has bags of experience at a few clubs and, you never know, he could come back to us for the big job eventually.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    No necessarily the case. Could Watson go to Wigan?

It should be interesting to see how Watson does at Huddersfield. There is a lot of potential there but also more expectation.

Given a lot of people expected Salford to be down at the bottom with Wakefield and Hull KR other the last few years. Achieving anything was going to be seen as a massive achievement. I think Huddersfield will want to be in the playoff picture, lets see if he can do that.

Going back to Marshall he did IMO an equally impressive job at Fax and sustained it for several years. He has the background to do a good job at Salford. But I do feel he could do better and I am surprised Hull didn't consider him.

As for Wello, I agree with some others on here. He needs to try coach a championship club for a few years.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Watson is a good coach, no doubt BUT.........

2019 was phenomenal for Salford and they lost so many players that they weren’t ever gonna Get so high again but This season flattered to deceive, as it has with Agar and Leeds.

Not at the races in the league, and due to the truncated fixture list only needed two performances in the cup...... note that Saints, Wigan and Wire were also-rans in the cup, probably due to exertion in the league.

Watsons powers wouldn’t possibly get any higher than this season due to consecutive finals, however he could only go up by winning something (No chance) or go backwards.....

Hudds will be a decent barometer I feel, and if they finish top 6/ maybe top 4 he will have done a great job.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Confirmed by Saints that Richard Marshall will be leaving us to join Salford as their new head coach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

He leaves on a high. Good luck to the lad.

In The South Stand

Wellens to step up to be in the coaches box and a new assistant in?
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Be interesting to see how Marshall gets on. Plenty of experience as head coach at Halifax plus apprenticeships under 2 very different but both grand final winning Saints coaches.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Good luck to him, Salford is arguably the hardest job in the league, with the high player turnover each year and lack of academy products coming through year on year, their coaches have to work with other teams cast offs, Watson did an excellent job and deserves the chance to work at a club with a bit more squad stability, and Huddersfield seem to have some decent academy players coming through.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Good luck to him, Salford is arguably the hardest job in the league, with the high player turnover each year and lack of academy products coming through year on year, their coaches have to work with other teams cast offs, Watson did an excellent job and deserves the chance to work at a club with a bit more squad stability, and Huddersfield seem to have some decent academy players coming through.
    I wonder if we can do a few loan deals to get some of our fringe lads some experience at SL level?

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    I wonder if we can do a few loan deals to get some of our fringe lads some experience at SL level?
    Was thinking that with Inu leaving it might be a chance to get Rizzelli or Nisbit in for a year

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if Wellens stepped up number 2 and we promoted the reserves / academy coach as a measure of "cost cutting". Could be wrong but wouldn't surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dave View Post
    Woolf said exactly that a few months back when asked about the best reserve/academy lads, he mentioned Wingfield a few times.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

I expect that most clubs will be strapped for cash, so more than happy to take decent young players on loan.

As for coaching, we are assuming that the likes of Wellens or Long want to be head coaches. This may not be the case.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

I'm sure Wellens would do well as assistant as would Long if he ever returned, but after the clubs experience with KC I cannot
    see us appointing a former player to main coach any time in the foreseeable future, and why would an ex-player want it.

Most former player's have hero status in the town, why put that on the line

Currently coaching Saints is one the top three jobs in Super League, it's a high pressure job were success is demanded.

Looking at the other teams for next season its going to be either Saints or Wigan for champions and maybe the same for the year after.

By the time he comes to leave Woolfe will most probably have another GF victory on his CV and we will look for another Aussie coach who wants to make his name over here.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I'm sure Wellens would do well as assistant as would Long if he ever returned, but after the clubs experience with KC I cannot
    see us appointing a former player to main coach any time in the foreseeable future, and why would an ex-player want it.

Most former player's have hero status in the town, why put that on the line

Currently coaching Saints is one the top three jobs in Super League, it's a high pressure job were success is demanded.

Looking at the other teams for next season its going to be either Saints or Wigan for champions and maybe the same for the year after.

By the time he comes to leave Woolfe will most probably have another GF victory on his CV and we will look for another Aussie coach who wants to make his name over here.
    I can see the club appointing a former player, but only after they have gone somewhere else and coached there, even if it was only at a Championship club, that’s something Cunningham didnt have, i think the Saints job is too big for someone without that head coach experience, the level of expectation is too high for someone without experience.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    No necessarily the case. Could Watson go to Wigan?
    Watson did a good job at Salford with a mix and match outfit that respected him and his coaching methods, he may not suit wigin with all their prima Donna signings. His problem would be trying to coach rugby and not dirty tri ks and thuggery.

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Why are people saying this? Every club has two assistant coaches- usually one attacking and one defensive. My understanding is that Wellens was not junior to Marshall, unless someone tells me different.

Long and Marshall were equals as were Long and Lolesi.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Why are people saying this? Every club has two assistant coaches- usually one attacking and one defensive. My understanding is that Wellens was not junior to Marshall, unless someone tells me different.

Long and Marshall were equals as were Long and Lolesi.
    I was asking whether Wellens would take the position of the assistant who sits beside the head coach, not some form of pecking order.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    I expect that most clubs will be strapped for cash, so more than happy to take decent young players on loan.

As for coaching, we are assuming that the likes of Wellens or Long want to be head coaches. This may not be the case.
    Long has said he wants to be a head coach but has realised he needs a bit more time to step up, I'm pretty sure Wellens has done analytical work and training work domestic and international. I Listen to quite a lot of stuff from Brian McDermott, John Wilkin and Paul Wellens surprised how much "coaching talk" Wellens puts into his experience on team integration.

Maybe a Long and Wellens combo would work the latter a more steadying influence. On the other side of the world maybe some of the asst coaches in OZ see the Saints now as a good Springboard bet to a top job with Holbrook and now Woolf in the spotlight over here.

If Woolf gets us more silverware next season and we play more expansive I can see McManus tying him down for another year though.

I was asked today by a friend who is a HKR fan if Richard Marshall would be welcome back at Saints.

I said I would like him back and didn't rule him out as a possible future Saints head coach. However his last 12 months at Salford have harmed his changes of ever getting a top level job in SL again no matter Saints.

Anyone else got any thought?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I was asked today by a friend who is a HKR fan if Richard Marshall would be welcome back at Saints.

I said I would like him back and didn't rule him out as a possible future Saints head coach. However his last 12 months at Salford have harmed his changes of ever getting a top level job in SL again no matter Saints.

Anyone else got any thought?
    Remember how we got Longy from Wigan via Widnes. Could Longy be lined up for the Salford job and then come to us a season later when Woolf ends his contract.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Only the club in question know whats really going wrong. If they have decided Marshall isn’t the man then fair enough. I thought maybe Salford would have given him another year to get things right. Considering the expectations surrounding Huddersfield at the start of this year you could argue that Watson is lucky to still be in a job.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    Only the club in question know whats really going wrong. If they have decided Marshall isn’t the man then fair enough. I thought maybe Salford would have given him another year to get things right. Considering the expectations surrounding Huddersfield at the start of this year you could argue that Watson is lucky to still be in a job.
    Watson has credit in the bank that Marshall doesn’t. Sad for him but I think Salford probably think they won’t get many opportunities to challenge and want someone to keep them on the periphery of play offs and challenging for the cup.

Regarding Huddersfield I did think they were horribly overated before the season. There was a clown on here trying to convince all and sundry that letting Jack Ashworth go was going to haunt us; he was one of a handful of questionable signings Hudds made.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eddiewaringsflatcap View Post
    Watson has credit in the bank that Marshall doesn’t. Sad for him but I think Salford probably think they won’t get many opportunities to challenge and want someone to keep them on the periphery of play offs and challenging for the cup.

Regarding Huddersfield I did think they were horribly overated before the season. There was a clown on here trying to convince all and sundry that letting Jack Ashworth go was going to haunt us; he was one of a handful of questionable signings Hudds made.
    Yeh i said in the off season that Huddersfield could regret signing 3 penalty machines like Ashworth, Greenwood and Edwards.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies